Are Hybrid cars the future?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Loool, I get it. You see things in black and white; off or on.

The claim being insinuated that the infrastructure must be in place for total EV takeover is a bunk premise.

The pace of advancement in technology tends to happen exponentially rather than gradually.
Again, it's not the technology, it's the unrealistic time frame. I see thing realistically. I don't have a vision of utopia because that is unrealistic. Same goes for this push for all electric vehicles by 2035.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Again, it's not the technology, it's the unrealistic time frame. I see thing realistically. I don't have a vision of utopia because that is unrealistic. Same goes for this push for all electric vehicles by 2035.
So, where is the mandate for all electric by 2035? California? Be specific.

Some manufacturers like Ford have aspirationally set a goal by 2035 to transition fully over to EVs, but there’s no hardlines.

rags747

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, I just don't get the logic behind it. The US government just put $150 Million towards building the EV infrastructure last month and are set to throw billions at the issue. Not to mention private companies like Tesla that are fighting to be the top dog once the EV takeover happens and are throwing silly money at this having close to 20,000 superchargers in the US already by themselves. If there is a legitimate reason why you think the infrastructure may not be ready 11 years from now I'm all ears, I just don't see any real evidence that the government or car industry is not committed to making this happen.
What is the last big infrastructure project that you have seen completed? Airports, train stations, schools? I cannot think of one. How many shovel ready projects have we seen money thrown at And yet I cannot point anything out.

rags747

Reaction score
Money is a big problem. It won't be billions, it'll be trillions. It took 19 years to complete both world trade centers. That's just 2 buildings.

As I said, it's an unrealistic goal.
WTC building started in 66, finished in 73.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
WTC 1 WTC 2, 2 bldgs as you say.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_(1973–2001)
I stand corrected. I gave the dates for all buildings. But the point remains the same. 11 years isn't enough time to redesign the entire infrastructure. Not enough time, money or manpower.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I gave the dates for all buildings. But the point remains the same. 11 years isn't enough time to redesign the entire infrastructure. Not enough time, money or manpower.
You’re not understanding what the 2035 goals are.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
fwiw, I bought a tesla model 3 performance model for the wife. the best car and most technically advanced car I have ever driven. 0-60 in 3 seconds, the 360 degree radar that tells you how close object are when parking or squeezing into tight spots is easily the best feature I have ever seen. add to the summoning, valet and sentry modes and it really is a marvel

5 years in and replaced the tires and brake pads is the only maintenance.

my car is a f150 limited, and while convenient for home depot, Costco, and taking the 3 year old trike to the park, I hate it. we are in los angeles so 33 gallon tank, 15 mpg, $155 to fill up today. the turn radius of 787 makes parking a 5 point ordeal. transmission is always clunky.

3 months away from the cyber and steer by wire.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
fwiw, I bought a tesla model 3 performance model for the wife. the best car and most technically advanced car I have ever driven. 0-60 in 3 seconds, the 360 degree radar that tells you how close object are when parking or squeezing into tight spots is easily the best feature I have ever seen. add to the summoning, valet and sentry modes and it really is a marvel

my car is a f150 limited, and while convenient for home depot, Costco, and taking the 3 year old trike to the park, I hate it. we are in los angeles so 33 gallon tank, 15 mpg, $155 to fill up today. the turn radius of 787 makes parking a 5 point ordeal. transmission is always clunky.

I get jealous when I see a performance model on the roads. I bought a RWD model 3 last year and can't get over how much fun it is to drive. I can only imagine the acceleration in your wifes car....of course mine only costing $37k + uncle sam kicking about 7k back my way makes up for the less performance.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I get jealous when I see a performance model on the roads. I bought a RWD model 3 last year and can't get over how much fun it is to drive. I can only imagine the acceleration in your wifes car....of course mine only costing $37k + uncle sam kicking about 7k back my way makes up for the less performance.
the performance with full self driving was 72k, but $62K out the door as Tesla still qualified for 7500 fed and 2500 state tax credit at the time.

that was still expensive, but it was the first new car I ever bought as I can stand depreciating assets, but the test drive got me.

we have the tesla insurance, which is tons cheaper in CA, but the downside is it knows how you drive, seatbelt engagement, hard braking etc all the time. I really don't get to open it up often, but you still feel it when trying to pass or punch it to merge

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I have a Ram and also drive around LA. It is a pain to park anywhere, that city isn’t made for trucks at all. I can’t fit in most parking garages, especially those down below. Parking at a meter and causing a traffic jam? Forget about it :angry:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

Pretty small sample size, Tesla is consistently one of the least reliable cars on the road. They make nice cars but the number of issues they have turns some buyers off.

"It's reported that Tesla vehicles have an average of 171 mechanical issues per 100 vehicles. For reference, the average number for most automakers hovers around 120 problems per 100 vehicles"

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pretty small sample size, Tesla is consistently one of the least reliable cars on the road. They make nice cars but the number of issues they have turns some buyers off.

"It's reported that Tesla vehicles have an average of 171 mechanical issues per 100 vehicles. For reference, the average number for most automakers hovers around 120 problems per 100 vehicles"
I’d be curious to know how that was made. It seems like older teslas have significantly more issues than newer models, which makes sense. Tesla also fixes a ton of their “issues” with software fixes. Not saying the numbers you posted are wrong but we may need some more digging depending on how they are calculating

rags747

Reaction score

Yeah, please post up where you got this information.