Are some of you mad at how we are building the team through the draft?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I saw a lot of things from our 2021 draft class last year that really makes me think they'll make an even bigger impact this year.

Joseph, Odighizuwa, Gholston, Cox, etc.

I think the team sort of stashed KJ last year..

I liked how KJ got tossed in the Raiders game, because he was shutting down the WR who got frustrated and decided to pick a fight with him.

Then, this year's draft class also looks promising. As far as I can tell, they really did their homework, again.
Don't forget the big dog pick from last year, Micah, brother. What an amazing generational pick!
:thumbup:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I only started paying attention to it around 2016- 2017. I think it was less stressful when I didn't. But at least you're not taken by surprise when the team doesn't pay someone you thought they needed to keep. You can see why.

I never was good at mathematics.

Steam starts coming from my ears.. lol

Don't forget the big dog pick from last year, Micah, brother. What an amazing generational pick!
:thumbup:

Yes, of course, but that goes without saying!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
some of us do not blindly follow Jerry some of us actually look at the play of the team and the players. I will maintain I think this team has the talent to compete, not based on anything Jerry says but by watching these players play the game. Do we have weakness or areas of concern? sure every team does. My expectation is for this team to build off last season, does not mean they must do better than 12-5, they could 11-6 and advance in post season and that is a major improvement. If they fail then you bet I will be disappointed.

As for off season reports like Zeke looking good, yeah I'm glad to hear that but in the end regardless of how he looks right now the bottom line is he has to produce during the season. That goes for every player, I like seeing guys showing positives during the off season but in the end only thing that matter is they bring in on game day
Now see, I can agree with this.

All that matters at the end of the day is what happens on the field during game days.

I don't care whos in great shape running drills in practice or how good a guy looks on paper.

Show me, don't tell me.

ESisback

Reaction score
I hope you're right.

I tend to be more on the side of thinking with my brain instead of my heart when it comes to my sports opinions.

I tend to be hopeful and accent the positive, because I want to enjoy the game for what it is. If I did it for a living I’d probably rant more.

Flamma

Reaction score
I never was good at mathematics.

Steam starts coming from my ears.. lol

As a spectator you don't really need it. My head would explode if I had to manage a cap. And I'm pretty good when it comes to simple math. GMs get paid a lot for a reason. I just understand how contracts work, when they take effect, and what year to expect a big cap hit from signing an extension. For example. If Diggs signs a monster contract after this upcoming season. His first big cap hit won't be until 2025.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

All that matters at the end of the day is what happens on the field during game days.

I don't care whos in great shape running drills in practice or how good a guy looks on paper.

Funny thing here.

I've been posting with Doomsday101 since before this board was even around. Seriously, over 20 years.

That's how die hard most of the people on this board are. So, we all tend to take the team a bit more seriously than most fans because we're the type of fans who are year-around fans. I know there are lots of others on here that I've also had heated discussions and disagreements with.

It typically comes back to the same arguments about so and so being positive or so and so being too negative. We all have our own approach to being a fan.

Don't get it twisted though. I can bellyache with the best of them. I'm just choosing not to right now, because I honestly do see a lot to be positive about.

As a spectator you don't really need it. My head would explode if I had to manage a cap. And I'm pretty good when it comes to simple math. GMs get paid a lot for a reason. I just understand how contracts work, when they take effect, and what year to expect a big cap hit from signing an extension. For example. If Diggs signs a monster contract after this upcoming season. His first big cap hit won't be until 2025.

I'm not totally mathematically challenged. But I decided to major in literature and philosophy for a reason. Numbers definitely aren't my strong point.

And, based on my observations, the cap really isn't all that simple?

Or maybe I'm wrong.. lol

DandyDon52

Reaction score
right now I would give dallas a C+ to B on drafting last few years say 3 years. Need more time to see if any of them beside micah work out though.
Sometimes they get guys that I think will be good, then never see them on the field, or used like noah brown. Also special teams.
If your going to mainly build thru draft they need to hit on more players like micah, and coach better, then they might have something.
Seattle back when pete carrol took over, they hit on a bunch of players, that led to a good team for about 6 years.
So they need to hit on at least one pick each year??

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you have to give McCarthy 4 years to be fair.

If he doesn't take us to the bowl in the next two years, hire someone else.

Three years isn't enough. Five is too much.

I really like the way McCarthy is building this team as compared to Garrett. He focused on the defense from the moment he got here and is building from the trenches out. And it doesnt take him years to figure out what is best and when to do things. Getting rid of over priced veterans quickly and now rebuilding the Oline when its obvious.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't mind if they don't over pay someone like Von Miller. But seriously, Wagner wasn't a huge contract. It's players like that they consistently ignore. He could have helped this team and it wouldn't be a burden on the cap.

The Cowboys are hamstringing themselves. Their offseason procedure is basically limited to what teams did in the 70s. Free Agency to them is patching a hole in the wall. Quick fix at low cost.

What was the contract on Wagner? Wasnt it 5 years?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wished they could have signed Wagner, but I am not concerned that they didn't.

Lets just say they sign Wagner. Then what do we do with Cox and the rookie LSU linebacker?

They might have tried to sign him to a year or two contract and he wouldnt take it.

Now it would have been nice to sign Wagner over LVE.

Jbone100

Reaction score
Or are you just upset that we aren't using FA to sign a couple high priced guys from other teams that will get us over the top?
I like that we build through the draft and think the organization does a great job of that. However, when you look at how the Cowboys have handled certain contract situations (with both their own and outside FAs), it does make you question if the organization settling into the mindset of building through the draft has caused or attributed to it under developing other disciplines in the organization. Maybe that's not the case and it has more to do with the Jones's getting too involved in contract negotiations but it does make you wonder.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's fine. I don't want to argue with you. Ever. This ain't about that.

I figure we are on the same side.

this thread took off so quickly I didnt have time to answer through alerts. You miss certain responses when you do it like that.

I dont care about arguing. We aren't going to meet eye to eye on everything. Its important we make each other think about things we might not think of.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I like that we build through the draft and think the organization does a great job of that. However, when you look at how the Cowboys have handled certain contract situations (with both their own and outside FAs), it does make you question if the organization settling into the mindset of building through the draft has caused or attributed to it under developing other disciplines in the organization. Maybe that's not the case and it has more to do with the Jones's getting too involved in contract negotiations but it does make you wonder.

Im just looking at this team from 2 years ago when MM got here. We had so many bad contracts and veterans that werent true leaders.

Jaylon Smith, Cooper, LVE, Collins, Zeke, Jarwin, LVE.

The ONLY guy I see still here with a bad contract is Zeke. And there isnt anything they can do about that one. So that gives me some hope in that direction. No way can we win with those kind of bad contracts. And MM started getting rid of those quickly starting last year.

The way I see it, Tyron Smith and Zeke are left. These guys need to be replaced with talented rookies.

I believe the true window for a run starts next offseason if they do things right. Another strong draft and that is where you fill at least one big hole with a stud in FA. But again..............only if we can fix the Oline by the beginning of next season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Show me, don't tell me.

Beat the hell out of hearing players hurt or not in shape. I'm sorry I don't frown on good reports on players but in the end what matters is how they perform when it matters. It is funny people want to know what is going on but then when they hear get bent out of shape. Maybe Dallas should close doors and not say anything, not sure most fans would want that.

Jbone100

Reaction score
Im just looking at this team from 2 years ago when MM got here. We had so many bad contracts and veterans that werent true leaders.

Jaylon Smith, Cooper, LVE, Collins, Zeke, Jarwin, LVE.

The ONLY guy I see still here with a bad contract is Zeke. And there isnt anything they can do about that one. So that gives me some hope in that direction. No way can we win with those kind of bad contracts. And MM started getting rid of those quickly starting last year.

The way I see it, Tyron Smith and Zeke are left. These guys need to be replaced with talented rookies.

I believe the true window for a run starts next offseason if they do things right. Another strong draft and that is where you fill at least one big hole with a stud in FA. But again..............only if we can fix the Oline by the beginning of next season.
The view does look a lot better when you block out everything before the last 2 years. In that context, I agree with you on basically all fronts. Getting rid of the bad contracts over that time has been impressive. What I'm curious to see is how we perform in FA when we are buyers again. We've navigated nicely in the past 2 years when we weren't buying but that still leaves more to be seen from the front office. I agree that there should be a window starting after this year so I think they will have their chance.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
So is every other team. What are we doing that's any different, other than completely ignoring impact free agency. Every team starts with the same number of picks. Every team employs scouts. And every team is drafting from the same pool of players. Does anyone actually beleive we can do this markedly better than the 31 other teams, so much so that we can overcome the lack of aggression in trades and FA acquisitions, in order to build the best team?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Or are you just upset that we aren't using FA to sign a couple high priced guys from other teams that will get us over the top?
Want I would really like is to sign 1 or 2 top free agents, then multiple low levels players for the same cost. Also, would like to see the team become more active in the trade market.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets just say they sign Wagner. Then what do we do with Cox and the rookie LSU linebacker?

They might have tried to sign him to a year or two contract and he wouldnt take it.

Now it would have been nice to sign Wagner over LVE.

Yeah I think he wanted one last big contract. Probably right, it could have been a 2 year offer.

Also if he was signed they may not have drafted Clark. As the also resigned Gifford as well as LVE. I think in the long run they dodged another bullet, as they did with not getting Miller (because of the price tag) or keeping Gregory.

I thought about Cox also. I don't want to say ...progress stopper...that is not the correct term, but who gets the snaps, especially when Quinn likes to only use 2 LB's at times.