Are the Cowboys tanking on purpose?

fivetwos

Reaction score
there's not a lot of depth because you believe like everyone else this is the roster before the draft before the actual full roster is assembled and before we play a single game you think that this is what it looks like?? I mean these posts are getting more ridiculous by the day we literally haven't even got to the draft yet and you're comparing rosters it to years past and you're comparing our schedules other people's schedules and we haven't even built a roster it's coming the draft more trades more free agents more undrafted free agents they will go through training camp and preseason and figure out who they need to add and there's lots of time and lots of players to be added they're still available lots and lots of free agents and even at cut downs and post draft there's gonna be more....
There’s no long list of needle moving players that were acquired by their team after this date throughout history. Not even just Dallas but the entire league.

Gilmore and Cooks were brought in in mid March last year fyi.

Sure, there’s plenty of fill in types that are available, and there’s also the draft….which is the same strategy they have been using which has more than proven to not work.

Using a 5-6 month timeline is fine when it comes to certain tasks, but there aren’t going to be difference making players suddenly available in July. Even if so, whats the likelihood they are coming here? They are gonna play for peanuts because they grew up loving Emmitt Smith? No.

I’m not trying to argue with you because I know you’ll do it to the death…I’m also not trying to tell you how to enjoy your team, but you do seem to adamantly think things are going to be greatly different moving ahead, and I’m not so sure why.

On the other hand I don’t blame anyone that hates the hate fest that typically goes on here, but the results should make that understandable…at least to a degree.

erod

Reaction score
World Champion Rangers in first place.

Western Conference champion Stars about to start their playoff run.

Surging Mavs about to start the playoffs against the Clippers.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys are an afterthought and mere background static.

Start over.

ghst187

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

Nothing earth shattering but thought I would share.
It would’ve helped if they didn’t whiff on the entire draft last year and got even one contributor instead of none

Chasing6

Reaction score
There’s no long list of needle moving players that were acquired by their team after this date throughout history. Not even just Dallas but the entire league.

Gilmore and Cooks were brought in in mid March last year fyi.

Sure, there’s plenty of fill in types that are available, and there’s also the draft….which is the same strategy they have been using which has more than proven to not work.

Using a 5-6 month timeline is fine when it comes to certain tasks, but there aren’t going to be difference making players suddenly available in July. Even if so, whats the likelihood they are coming here? They are gonna play for peanuts because they grew up loving Emmitt Smith? No.

I’m not trying to argue with you because I know you’ll do it to the death…I’m also not trying to tell you how to enjoy your team, but you do seem to adamantly think things are going to be greatly different moving ahead, and I’m not so sure why.

On the other hand I don’t blame anyone that hates the hate fest that typically goes on here, but the results should make that understandable…at least to a degree.
After the draft some vets will be cut or traded away. However, we still don't have any cap space.

fivetwos

Reaction score
After the draft some vets will be cut or traded away. However, we still don't have any cap space.
Well, they can create it, but what makes anyone think they are going to even be competitive in bidding?

Also, since they don’t use free agency, don’t they need to use those draft picks rather than trade them?

It must be me because I don’t see how many teams are going to just start cutting good players around now, or recall it ever happening. Everyone is under the cap.

Yeah a few good players are going to change hands, but how many are coming here? All of them? Well then ok.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well, they can create it, but what makes anyone think they are going to even be competitive in bidding?

Also, since they don’t use free agency, don’t they need to use those draft picks rather than trade them?

It must be me because I don’t see how many teams are going to just start cutting good players around now, or recall it ever happening. Everyone is under the cap.

Yeah a few good players are going to change hands, but how many are coming here? All of them? Well then ok.
Well majority of teams have spent their money. So not so much a bidding war at this point. Also, don't forget GM Jethro has extra ammo with is 4 projected 5th round comp picks.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not a lot of cap room. No room to spend big $$$$.

Some of us called this out early.

Dallas still needs to resolve the issue with Dak soon.

We could use the $29million in cap.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not a lot of cap room. No room to spend big $$$$.

Some of us called this out early.

Dallas still needs to resolve the issue with Dak soon.

We could use the $29million in cap.
Dallas can't afford to resign Dak and push his cost back. His last year of a new contract would be like $125M.

He is current cap hit is at $55 and $40M for next year even if we cut him. So if we extended him even at 4 years 200M($50/year) how would this be spread out.

200 + 55 + 40 = $295/ for 5 years would be an average almost $60. If we push this year back. Then it only goes up.

They need this years $55M to be absorbed this year.

CD is where we can create cap space this year. However it seems like they want him to play on his 5th year option and then we redo all 3 Dak, CD, Micah next year.

That would explain the inactivity for this year.

Jipper

Reaction score
there's not a lot of depth because you believe like everyone else this is the roster before the draft before the actual full roster is assembled and before we play a single game you think that this is what it looks like?? I mean these posts are getting more ridiculous by the day we literally haven't even got to the draft yet and you're comparing rosters it to years past and you're comparing our schedules other people's schedules and we haven't even built a roster it's coming the draft more trades more free agents more undrafted free agents they will go through training camp and preseason and figure out who they need to add and there's lots of time and lots of players to be added they're still available lots and lots of free agents and even at cut downs and post draft there's gonna be more....
My statement was depth in general from a historical place and not where we are now - I understand the team isn’t built yet, but this team does regularly struggle with depth every year.

You misread and misunderstood my point clearly, in fact did you even read my post? I never said anything about this year, I referenced the way the team has been built historically.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty sure 4, 11 and 88 were already on the team last year. Paying all 3 of them significantly more money. only makes the team worse.
You completely missed my point.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You completely missed my point.
I agree they are not intentionally tanking, but on paper we have gone significantly backwards.

I also don't believe having 3 of the highest paid players in the league at their position on one team is going to make a winning team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My statement was depth in general from a historical place and not where we are now - I understand the team isn’t built yet, but this team does regularly struggle with depth every year.

You misread and misunderstood my point clearly, in fact did you even read my post? I never said anything about this year, I referenced the way the team has been built historically.
I think all teams struggle with depth apparently we're making it to 12 and 5 three straight years winning the division two years in a row they're doing something at least in the top 6 in the league so you keep saying that we can't gain depth well how much depth do you really think A-Team can get when there's a big drop off from 1:00 to 2:00 and a huge drop off from 2:00 to 3:00... Literally almost impossible to build the type of depth that you don't feel if you have a rash of injuries and a certain position or more than one position like we did in 2020 can't overcome that... I mean I get what you're saying it would be nice but I don't think most teams in the league have better depth than us I think it's they all struggle if they have too many injuries because there's a drop off they're not gonna be the same team without their starter on the field can only cover up so many just like when you have to put two I believe there was one game we had three offensive lineman out the starters was that for Arizona it's impossible to cover that up...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

Nothing earth shattering but thought I would share.
Of course they are not tanking, that actually involves strategic thinking, planning, and oversight.

Jerry and his idot boy actually think this roster can win in the playoffs.:facepalm:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I agree they are not intentionally tanking, but on paper we have gone significantly backwards.

I also don't believe having 3 of the highest paid players in the league at their position on one team is going to make a winning team.
this and dont we have Martin who is in the tops of OG's paid...

conner01

Reaction score
Tanking would be trading off your 3rd year guys for picks. If you want to tank you trade bland right now and one of Micah/Lamb. If you gonna tank you load up draft picks to rebuild with.