Are the Cowboys tanking on purpose?

shabazz

Reaction score
Of course they are......

The FO is gonna let this play out before committing any big contracts......the worst that can happen is a top 10 2025 draft spot.

I'm all for it.

shabazz

Reaction score
They are not tanking, they are working on 11, 88 and 4. That is their priority. Just my .02….I didn’t say I agree with it.
One of those cats could be draft day fodder......Jerry is making it possible by NOT encumbering the situation with a newly signed contract.

My guess is that the yield of any trade would be for 2025 that he could package into a top 3 pick

Of course, I could be completely wrong but Jerry's left all theories possible

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

Nothing earth shattering but thought I would share.
Guessing Ed Werder? He’s already said on Twitter it’s a bad plan.

Interesting on draft show they talked about next years picks and Nick Harris said “you’re likely to have a top 20 pick”

Which means the view in the building is wildcard at best.

Flamma

Reaction score
Bill Wash once famously said, there are only 5-6 teams that are trying to win the SB every year. Thats who you are competing with.
Did he really say that? Because that is absolutely true, or very close to the truth. Most teams are inactive, the Cowboys are one of them. You'll see a handful of teams being all in, all of the time. You'll have other teams that are opportunists. They'll have the rare, good year, then use that window to try to get over the hump.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

Tanking ?
Come on man, are you kiddin ?!

We are enjoying one of our best offseasons so far.

Jipper

Reaction score
Tanking? Can’t tell until season starts…still a long way to go so at this point I wouldn’t say one way or another.

Setting up for the best chance for success in 2024? At this point it seems like they are more focused on the future vs 2024…doesn’t mean the couldn’t have success in 2024 but the more likely scenario (at this point in time) is that they are simply setting up for a strong base of young talent and letting underperforming players go without another contract after this year

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The roster is constructed in such a way that a single key injury on offense is going to lead to a lost season. Say Ceedee goes down, I think this offense is cooked at that point.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They couldn’t win with Lamb and Parsons on rookie deals so the plan is to wait it out until they are making big money?

Ok Jerry. Seems like you’ve got a plan.

Jipper

Reaction score
The roster is constructed in such a way that a single key injury on offense is going to lead to a lost season. Say Ceedee goes down, I think this offense is cooked at that point.
this team has been built like that for many years...thats the problem when you get to a situation where there is not a lot of depth.

This is an interesting challenge for a team that does really well in the draft; you would think that the good drafting would mean more depth but for whatever reason we have been top heavy on talent coming out of the draft. Meaning, we have hit on some absoulte studs but when we don't hit, we really miss.

We have to do a better job using FA to fill in gaps and get to more strength in depth...easier said than done

Chasing6

Reaction score
They are not tanking, they are working on 11, 88 and 4. That is their priority. Just my .02….I didn’t say I agree with it.
Pretty sure 4, 11 and 88 were already on the team last year. Paying all 3 of them significantly more money. only makes the team worse.

Chasing6

Reaction score

GM Jethro believes.

1. He believes in the draft.
2. He believes in Comp Picks.
3. He believes in FA's, as long as they don't effect the Comp Calculations. Stop gap FA's.
4. He believes in trading future picks for Vets on the downside of their career.

Obstacle for option 3 and 4 is no cap space.

Don't be surprised when we trade back, possibly multiple times. We will end up hearing Cowboys see the value in the draft between picks in the 40 to 120 range. Some BS like that.

If he plans on adding any players through trades, you would think he would need to clear up some cap space before hand.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Not all of us fell for it. I called him out as a liar as soon as it was reported because I know how he thinks.
This..all in meant we will sign our big stars to bigger contracts..some of us knew that, just wait CD and Dak will get extended this year and Micah to follow...HC well he is probably taking the fall for this offseason because he couldn't "Get it done" this year..lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
This..all in meant we will sign our big stars to bigger contracts..some of us knew that, just wait CD and Dak will get extended this year and Micah to follow...HC well he is probably taking the fall for this offseason because he couldn't "Get it done" this year..lol
But it has not happened and he is not even actively negotiating with them. So he is lying again.

We want to sign Dak, CD and Micah that is our priority. While we make no effort to sign them.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

No cap space.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Can we stop the nonsense literally you think that he's tanking because five months before the season starts two weeks before the draft and before he finishes building this roster you're making the same ridiculous conclusion that this is gonna be a bad team this year because you're looking at it right now... The answer is no Jerry is never tanked ever even at the end of the year we're losing a couple games might help a couple spots in the draft they literally win three of the last four games in 2020 they don't tank Jerry will not allow them to lose on purpose nor shooting nobody starts a season with the mindset that he they want to lose not in the NFL any given Sunday each year is a one off no one knows which teams are gonna have a litany of injuries at major positions nobody knows how the rosters are gonna gel you don't go by last year's straight the schedule by looking at the schedule you don't know how it's gonna workout before games even played so if y'all can stop the nonsense that we're gonna be a bad team and it looks like we're tanking it's ridiculous the draft hasn't even come around there's lots of free agents left they've made trades right before the season before for guys like Gilmore hankins and cooks there's so much time left to build a roster and y'all are panicking and there's hundreds of posts already that are like ridiculous...

blueblood70

Reaction score
this team has been built like that for many years...thats the problem when you get to a situation where there is not a lot of depth.

This is an interesting challenge for a team that does really well in the draft; you would think that the good drafting would mean more depth but for whatever reason we have been top heavy on talent coming out of the draft. Meaning, we have hit on some absoulte studs but when we don't hit, we really miss.

We have to do a better job using FA to fill in gaps and get to more strength in depth...easier said than done
there's not a lot of depth because you believe like everyone else this is the roster before the draft before the actual full roster is assembled and before we play a single game you think that this is what it looks like?? I mean these posts are getting more ridiculous by the day we literally haven't even got to the draft yet and you're comparing rosters it to years past and you're comparing our schedules other people's schedules and we haven't even built a roster it's coming the draft more trades more free agents more undrafted free agents they will go through training camp and preseason and figure out who they need to add and there's lots of time and lots of players to be added they're still available lots and lots of free agents and even at cut downs and post draft there's gonna be more....

Chasing6

Reaction score
Can we stop the nonsense literally you think that he's tanking because five months before the season starts two weeks before the draft and before he finishes building this roster you're making the same ridiculous conclusion that this is gonna be a bad team this year because you're looking at it right now... The answer is no Jerry is never tanked ever even at the end of the year we're losing a couple games might help a couple spots in the draft they literally win three of the last four games in 2020 they don't tank Jerry will not allow them to lose on purpose nor shooting nobody starts a season with the mindset that he they want to lose not in the NFL any given Sunday each year is a one off no one knows which teams are gonna have a litany of injuries at major positions nobody knows how the rosters are gonna gel you don't go by last year's straight the schedule by looking at the schedule you don't know how it's gonna workout before games even played so if y'all can stop the nonsense that we're gonna be a bad team and it looks like we're tanking it's ridiculous the draft hasn't even come around there's lots of free agents left they've made trades right before the season before for guys like Gilmore hankins and cooks there's so much time left to build a roster and y'all are panicking and there's hundreds of posts already that are like ridiculous...
Well so far it is an option. Nothing is indicating that it is not an option in the table.

If he wants to resign CD what is he waiting for?

If you are not moving forward, then you are moving backwards. So far we are definitely moving backwards.

What was the primary reason Tyron gave for leaving Dallas? It was not the contract.