Are we going to be able to build a super bowl contender w/ Jayon and LVE?

John813

Reaction score
They were both part of a top 8 unit 2 years ago with a DL that mostly stunk.

Yea. I think its both mental with both now. Jaylon imo has gone hollywood and LVE to me is double thinking everything and is playing timid.

It has been ages here since I've seen a LB like LVEhis rookie year. He had Lees vision but a bigger frame and more athletic ability.

But he was raw in taking on blocks straight up at times.

Dre11

Reaction score
We don't need a top 5 d to win a Superbowl. Give me 3 players up the middle of the defense to go along with what we have and were ready

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Serious question. Logically, I'd say we almost have to dump both and start over at the LB position before we can build a super bowl D. Can those guys be a part of a top 5 D? Serious doubts here.

Yes, with help in other areas, there is no reason not to believe so. The defensive / team issues were beyond these 2 players. Give them help, they will be fine. Other than some injury concerns. Still need to bring in a few LB's via FA / Draft.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Serious question. Logically, I'd say we almost have to dump both and start over at the LB position before we can build a super bowl D. Can those guys be a part of a top 5 D? Serious doubts here.
if this question is being asked, then you already know the obvious answer. A BIG FAT NO. Quinn was brought in early to evaluate things like that and to get his guys installed via free agency and draft. Its pretty obvious. The browns came in here for example, and made LVE and Jaylon look absolutely silly. Ownership saw enough of that all year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yes, with help in other areas, there is no reason not to believe so. The defensive / team issues were beyond these 2 players. Give them help, they will be fine. Other than some injury concerns. Still need to bring in a few LB's via FA / Draft.
MAYBE LVE can be reformed but I dont see the drive with Jaylon. Not so sure he gets it or even has what it takes. His FB IQ on game days seems bad. Now was that a product of the offseason and the new D scheme/Nolan?

reddyuta

Reaction score
making the gap assignments simple will help both,I feel both are not very bright and need things simplified.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The toughest sell Quinn will have is getting Booger to part with his 1st rounder and cornerstone of this defense.

If the Cowboys put a DL like WFT in front of them, particularly 2 stout DT's to absorb doubles, they might get by with those 2 LB's but when has Booger ever done that? Johnson and Parcells saw the importance of the middle of the DL but I don't think that's a priority to Booger.

However, the good news is that Booger has shown the willingness to listen to his DC's in the past, that's how he got Charleton and Hill. I do think Quinn has a better bead on the D players needed.

The challenge is that they need help on all 3 units of the D and Booger has shown an inclination to lean toward the secondary, that's the easier sell to him and Quinn is new on the job.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

yes. As long as they stay healthy.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

There are definitely two obstacles in the way of the Cowboys producing a SB defense, but they are not players (or coaches). If only we could dump them.

As for these players, Jaylon has the physical skills but looks lost at times. LVE seems to have a better grasp of the mental aspect but he's hurt too often.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agree. The FB IQ is a problem. Not sure that can be fixed.
There's only two ways to fix that, change the D calls or change the players.

That was Landry's initial challenge with the Flex, took a certain kind of D plyer to execute it. Same with Belichick, he has to have a certain kind of D player to play his ever changing D and he gives a test the night before the games. No HC believes more that the game begins between the ears before it ever comes between the sidelines.

Some here are quick to call the DC out. On many of those replays on poorly executed plays, the player was in the tight position and made the wrong read and react.

Always comes back to the same thing, execution. Player misses a key block or tackle and the coach catches the heat.
'

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Chill man they both are fine, we need to beef up the interior line
o_O
Cowboys nation was watching ole Jaylon be generally a bad player, week in & week out. There are caveats of course. After what should’ve been a Pro Bowl nomination in 2018, Smith regressed in 2019 (but got the honor). A new coaching staff took over, saw the tape & said he shouldn’t be a middle linebacker any longer & spent the truncated offseason with him on the weak side.

LVE was outstanding in his rookie season, however the last two seasons haven’t been as smooth. LVE missed 7 games in 2019 due to a lingering neck issue that required offseason surgery. In 2020, he missed an addition 6 games w/a broken collarbone & a high ankle sprain. They're getting paid to play, not ride the pine.

Invest draft picks on fixing defense!! 1st pick on Cornerback! 2nd pick on Jaylon Smith!! 3rd pick, on DE or DT !! Trade 4th thru 7th pick! For lower 1st or top 2nd replacement for Offensive Tackle !! BOOM!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The toughest sell Quinn will have is getting Booger to part with his 1st rounder and cornerstone of this defense.

If the Cowboys put a DL like WFT in front of them, particularly 2 stout DT's to absorb doubles, they might get by with those 2 LB's but when has Booger ever done that? Johnson and Parcells saw the importance of the middle of the DL but I don't think that's a priority to Booger.

However, the good news is that Booger has shown the willingness to listen to his DC's in the past, that's how he got Charleton and Hill. I do think Quinn has a better bead on the D players needed.

The challenge is that they need help on all 3 units of the D and Booger has shown an inclination to lean toward the secondary, that's the easier sell to him and Quinn is new on the job.
Watch him take an OL , TE or QB with 1st pick. Lol

Which might be better than a bust pick on defense. Ha

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea, if we keep these LB’s , assuming we go defense in 1st round , I’d bet CB.

Rayman70

Reaction score
o_O
Cowboys nation was watching ole Jaylon be generally a bad player, week in & week out. There are caveats of course. After what should’ve been a Pro Bowl nomination in 2018, Smith regressed in 2019 (but got the honor). A new coaching staff took over, saw the tape & said he shouldn’t be a middle linebacker any longer & spent the truncated offseason with him on the weak side.

LVE was outstanding in his rookie season, however the last two seasons haven’t been as smooth. LVE missed 7 games in 2019 due to a lingering neck issue that required offseason surgery. In 2020, he missed an addition 6 games w/a broken collarbone & a high ankle sprain. They're getting paid to play, not ride the pine.

Invest draft picks on fixing defense!! 1st pick on Cornerback! 2nd pick on Jaylon Smith!! 3rd pick, on DE or DT !! Trade 4th thru 7th pick! For lower 1st or top 2nd replacement for Offensive Tackle !! BOOM!
not sure how that guy can say "both are fine." This is still tackle football right? LOL