Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

Flinger

Reaction score
Which playoff performance(s)?
The 2 playoff SF losses in which he actually publicly threw his OC under the bus or outright said he had no input whatsoever to offensive game planning, or end of game keystone cops playcalling that he signed off on.
As a former head coach and playcaller who said he would never not be a playcaller again?
Only once to scapegoating his former OC for past failures, he gets his chance in '23 as a regular season playcaller and tally all those regular season offensive accolades and then...
he ***** the bed like no other Cowboys coach has ever done in history and manages a whole 16 points with 7 minutes left while giving up 48 to a 7 seed at home.

Yeah,
Stick with those regular season banners.

I prefer a guy who can do this thing called "coaching 'em up" when games really matter.

Ask Moderator Bob here about his meme.

Respect is earned in the playoffs.

And however you need to spin his GB resume from 15 years ago, you be you.

In his last 6 years of coaching, both at GB before being fired, and Dallas, he's had 1 playoff win.

The Tampa one.

To each his own.
before the Cowboys

So, respect for Reid, Shanahan, Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Payton... but not for McCarthy?

Let's see... it is respect if a coach is not a Cowboys headcoach. Got it...

Regular season performance absolutely matters. Without it, there is no playoff. See Garrett's 8-8 seasons.

Coach them up? Read my first post, man... this isn't pee-wee football.

These are grown, professional men who play against other grown, professional men. Anyone of which can perform circles around anyone of us at any time. Including the headcoach's.

Understand your anger at the last GB game, but in my opinion, aiming at McCathry is the wrong target...

Still - agree with you... I will do me and you do you...

Anyone of 500 coaches couldn't win with this team.

Headcoaching is not the problem with the Dallas Cowboys.

75boyz

Reaction score
before the Cowboys

So, respect for Reid, Shanahan, Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Payton... but not for McCarthy?

Let's see... it is respect if a coach is not a Cowboys headcoach. Got it...

Regular season performance absolutely matters. Without it, there is no playoff. See Garrett's 8-8 seasons.

Coach them up? Read my first post, man... this isn't pee-wee football.

These are grown, professional men who play against other grown, professional men. Anyone of which can perform circles around anyone of us at any time. Including the headcoach's.

Understand your anger at the last GB game, but in my opinion, aiming at McCathry is the wrong target...

Still - agree with you... I will do me and you do you...

Anyone of 500 coaches couldn't win with this team.

Headcoaching is not the problem with the Dallas Cowboys.
Yep,
Opinions vary.

quickccc

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?

Although i believe McCarthy is:
- a better overall in game decision maker than Garrett, ...
- he makes " eventual " game adjustments than Garrett.
- Big Mac is much more aggressive in going for it on 4th downs at any point than Garrett.

- Garrett was vastly overrated by the Jones - and never let him continue after never advancing further into playoffs,
plus the abissmal yo-yo in win one season, then missing playoffs next season, front stop believing in hin.

- Mac does have his faults - On his own, he has been questionable in choosing lousy defensive assistants
such as Mike Nolan and Jim Tomsula but however he is responsible for highly touted DB coach Al Harris.
many think the club personally pursued DC Dan Quinn to replace Nolan, instead of it being Mac himself.

- Just as Garrett has been criticized for his conservative nature, Mac seems to have some of those elements himself.
judging off 1st half season when he practically ignored speedy WR Brandin Cooks who had been auto-1000 yd WR
every team he's been at. Only when Mac was openly flamed by the media for snubbing Cooks, did Mac try
to involve Brandin in much more capacity.
Why did it take so damn long ? - plus Cooks has been more possession WR -than big splash WR in Mac's scheme.

- The other issue is the RB scheme- nuthin i've seen looks like RB scheme in either run or pass, familiar in past GB offense.
whereas we saw screens and quick swing flairs with GB backs such as Aaron Jones, Ty Montgomery, etc - we see nuthing
of sort with Mac in Dallas, - that vibes as Mac leaving it to his asst's to scheme the RBs to their preferences
We cannot place RB blame on long departed Kellen anymore.

75boyz

Reaction score
Just not true. SF rushing for 113 yds was a huge factor in the loss.
Yeah they rushed it 32 times for 113.
I mean do I need to give the box score ineptitude of each of their ball carriers?

Absolutely stuffed their run game.
They couldnt do **** on the ground.
Blatantly false narrative.

You need to re-watch.
Defense played well enough to win by far.
Epic OFFENSIVE FAILURE.
Anyone watching that game blaming the defense doesn't have a clue.

Micah went public after the game even. Saying we,"the defense" did our job.
Directly pointing the finger at Dak and rightly so.
Not sure what game you watched.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah they rushed it 32 times for 113.
I mean do I need to give the box score ineptitude of each of their ball carriers?

Absolutely stuffed their run game.
They couldnt do **** on the ground.
Blatantly false narrative.

You need to re-watch.
Defense played well enough to win by far.
Epic OFFENSIVE FAILURE.
Anyone watching that game blaming the defense doesn't have a clue.

Micah went public after the game even. Saying we,"the defense" did our job.
Directly pointing the finger at Dak and rightly so.
Not sure what game you watched.
Not so quick w/ the cheap insults, dude. Makes you lose credibility.

I'm not sure what game you watched. Controlling the game w/ the running game is what helped SF win. They wore out our D and limited our O's chances.

Instead of thinking small and pointing at one detail, look at the bigger pic. I agree w/ you, BTW, about our O failing yet again. Prolly the biggest reason for the loss. However, there are always several reasons for a loss.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I'm not sure what game you watched. Controlling the game w/ the running game is what helped SF win. They wore out our D and limited our O's chances.

Instead of thinking small and pointing at one detail, look at the bigger pic. I agree w/ you, BTW, about our O failing yet again. Prolly the biggest reason for the loss. However, there are always several reasons for a loss.
It never ceases to amaze me that people dismiss the fact that averaging ~4 yards per carry on the ground allows you to control the tempo of the game on offense. If you're always 3rd and 2 or less you are squarely in control even if you never break a big run. And if you force the defense to commit added resources to stop the run you go over the top. In that game the 49ers had 21 first downs were 7 for 14 on 3rd down and held the ball for almost 33 minutes. If the defense wants to say "we did our job" then fine.. They need to explain who was on the field when the Niners went 91 yards for a TD in what had been a 9-6 pretty even ballgame to that point. It was a rough hard hitting game and both teams struggled to move the ball for the most part. Both defenses were really good. However only one defense gave up a 90+ yard drive with the game right there in the balance. IMHO that's where the game was last. That or on the drive when the Cowboys had first and goal at the SF 9 and made next to no effort to run it in from there. One delay handoff to Zeke in between two pass plays. The red zone play calling was horrendous that day. One of many reasons I was glad to see Boy Wonder be sent packin.

75boyz

Reaction score

My apologies but the play by play impact of the SF running game in winning that game was minimal if any at all imo. And it should have been the reason for victory imo.
So that's my difference of opinion. I don't lump previous playoff game losses together with other past playoff games in order to explain all playoff losses. I take it as each game plays out.

Now, the Rams playoff loss a couple years earlier with Hurley and the guy they called up off the couch that year, that was a huge/epic fail on run game defense and the primary reason for loss.

In this game though, SF had a total of 5 guys as credited with run carries. Those 5 guys had individual longest runs totalling 13, 8, 8, 6 and 8.
That's 43 of the 113 total yards on 5 carries.
That still leaves 27 total carries for 70 yards.

No matter how you wanna slice it, stats or otherwise, "I" think that kinda run defense was absolutely phenomenal...and I think that type run defense "should have been" the primary reason for victory.

So I agree to disagree.
No worries.
Im still a go Cowboys kinda guy, lack of credibility and all.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Building a competitve team that is 12-5 3 consecutive years is not an epic failure. Come on.

Any one of 500 coaches would fail with the team this front office puts on the field.

Exactly, he's done a solid job. We've been consistent contenders. Most coaches can't keep a team consistently competitive year in year out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Building a competitve team that is 12-5 3 consecutive years is not an epic failure. Come on.
Either you achieve the goal or you don't. There are no style points. There are no close but no cigar awards. McCarthy was hired to win the NFCCG at a minimum. He hasn't. So he has failed. Not even getting close and getting outcoached in the playoffs makes it an epic failure.

There are many competitive teams each year. Had that been the goal for McCarthy when he was hired then yes, he would have been considered a success as the Cowboys HC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Either you achieve the goal or you don't. There are no style points. There are no close but no cigar awards. McCarthy was hired to win the NFCCG at a minimum. He hasn't. So he has failed. Not even getting close and getting outcoached in the playoffs makes it an epic failure.

There are many competitive teams each year. Had that been the goal for McCarthy when he was hired then yes, he would have been considered a success as the Cowboys HC.

Considering what we had with Garrett, I'd say that he has been at least partially successful. He was able to raise our game. That said, we need him to raise the Cowboys game again this year.

Flinger

Reaction score

Good thing you weren't in charge during the Landry years then. He would have never made it by your standard. Just like under Landry, I'm glad our team is competitive and fun to watch under McCarthy. He has not failed. And, he wasn't outcoached. His team was outplayed in the playoffs by superior talent and due to key injuries. He had to play with the talent on hand.

Did he his team achieve the goal? No. It certainly did not. Is it BECAUSE of him?

I say no - it was BECAUSE of him we had 3 consecutive chances to achieve the goal which did come up short.

Coaching is not the problem with the Dallas Cowboys.

75boyz

Reaction score

His ability or inability to win playoff games in this case, just keeps getting ignored.

Like we are supposed to lower our standards and settle for never ending one and dones.

He's won 1 playoff game as a HC in his last 6 years of coaching at both jobs.

The Tampa one.

To take us further "in the playoffs" than the last guy did based off his SB winning resume. That was what was said at the press conference as to why he was the choice.

We have not improved.

Last edited:

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
So who will be the savior at HC that will get us a SB win?
Give me some names that excite me and not names that make me yawn.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thing you weren't in charge during the Landry years then.
Different era. Additionally, McCarthy was handed a playoff team. Landry wasn't.

I'll even list 3 more ways McCarthy failed just last year alone - Deuce, Lumpke and Mazi. The level of mismanagement of those 3 players is criminal. Bottom line is McCarthy should have been fired. The safe bet is nothing will be different this year and everyone will be calling for his head again next January.