Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah I agree if Bill felt he had a SB contender I think he comes back for another year.

People don’t remember how much the game had passed him by.

He didn’t want Ware or TO. He had to vid protected from his own ego.
Im not sure. Maybe Jethro’s meddling was enough for him to bow out early.

But we owe whatever success we had in following years to the team he built.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Im not sure. Maybe Jethro’s meddling was enough for him to bow out early.

But we owe whatever success we had in following years to the team he built.
We owe him some things but it's also worth noting we would've never had Ware or TO if not for Jerry. Which is big deal. We feel completely different about those teams if they don't have TO and Ware on them. At least I do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We owe him some things but it's also worth noting we would've never had Ware or TO if not for Jerry. Which is big deal. We feel completely different about those teams if they don't have TO and Ware on them. At least I do.
I was never a fan of TO. That’s basically what begun to run Bill off.

And neither were enough to get us over the hump. Just like Witten.

We had 2 1st rounds picks that year. 11th and 20th. It’s possible Bill might have taken Ware if he was still there at 20. We of course drafted Spears there.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was never a fan of TO. That’s basically what begun to run Bill off.

And neither were enough to get us over the hump. Just like Witten.

We had 2 1st rounds picks that year. 11th and 20th. It’s possible Bill might have taken Ware if he was still there at 20. We of course drafted Spears there.
Parcels valued Shawn Merriman more and didn’t think Spears would fall and wanted to take him at 11. So who knows if Ware falls to 20.

TO was great for Romo’s development. He was a good pick up.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Before one calls me a hater please hear me out..... Dak's first year, I thought he was the greatest since sliced bread. I was on the Dak train when the arguments were made about making Dak the permanent starter or keeping Romo as the starter. Today, I still feel if Dak doesn't have pressure, he can play lights out... When you see the scared look in his eyes, that's when it goes to hell in a handbasket... Knowing what we know now, he's not ready to be a QB that can get us beyond regular season. He just isn't.
Dak has high anxiety issues, he has probably had since birth, a lot of people have it and are born with it, but you don't want your franchise QB of the Dallas Cowboys to be suffering from it.

Dak lost all his confidence the moment he snapped his ankle in half, and he just never was able to elevate his game from that point in time, he hit his ceiling already at that point and that deer in headlights stare began to manifest significantly after that injury occurred.

Dak is a mid range QB and he is worth top dollar in this league, France and Dak cant wait to hit FA, they both have Jerry in the corner again my friends....

You can not make this #### up.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bill did a great job rebuilding from the wasteland of the Campo days, obviously. But what you said is not true. It did not go consistently downhill. Wade won more than Parcells did. Won the division. Got to the playoffs. Won a playoff game. None of which Parcells did.

No, I'm not saying Wade is a better coach than Parcells. Of course not. But the team did not go downhill from when Parcells left after Romo dropped the FG hold.

And 2010 was a disaster because Romo got hurt. It wasn't really any worse than Garrett's 2015 except that in 2010, Jerry had his handpicked pet project ready to be installed.

Your Garrett love is so cute, though. It really is. I've never seen anyone twist facts to try to make a terrible coach look good the way you do.
Not really completely accurate. Because Tuna built that team that Wade won w/. Same as Switzer winning w/ Jimmy's team.

Kwyn

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
Well, I suppose it’s no surprise that people are now thinking of the good old days when The Clapper was leading the troops.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Was it worth running Bill off early and eventually disrupting the team?
I think so. I don’t think Bill was a good coach at that time. When he took play calling from Payton it showed me how much the game had passed him by. I appreciate the culture change he brought here but this team should’ve been given to Payton instead he’s the guy who ran Payton away.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think so. I don’t think Bill was a good coach at that time. When he took play calling from Payton it showed me how much the game had passed him by. I appreciate the culture change he brought here but this team should’ve been given to Payton instead he’s the guy who ran Payton away.
Timing was a little off, and we can now figure that Jerry already had his eyes on the Garrett project by that time. Oakland wanted to hire Payton but BP and Jerry talked him out of it. I specifically recall that, but not the playcalling thing. Not saying it didn’t happen, but I can’t recall.

That happened to Payton in NY also. Must be the first time in history an OC was stripped of playcalling twice yet had a movie made about him lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Timing was a little off, and we can now figure that Jerry already had his eyes on the Garrett project by that time. Oakland wanted to hire Payton but BP and Jerry talked him out of it. I specifically recall that, but not the playcalling thing. Not saying it didn’t happen, but I can’t recall.

That happened to Payton in NY also. Must be the first time in history an OC was stripped of playcalling twice yet had a movie made about him lol.
Damn you know I forgot about his time in NY lol….i mean it’s hindsight thing and I was much younger then but I remember listening to sports shows and they painted Payton as his successor. Not sure how true that was or if that was just opinion based. But it goes to show that even then they had no plan for after Parcellss….at least I hope Wade and JG wasn’t the plan. It’s what we got though lol.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think Garrett had the team in a better spot when he left than when he became the HC. I think MM has the team in a better spot today then when he took over as HC. MM was hired to bring playoff success. He has failed. He should have been fired as soon as the clock hit 0 after the last playoff game. He gets the gift of this year to change that and earn another contract. I hope another 12 win season, followed by failure in the playoffs again does not save his job this time.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
After 10 years of Jason G anything is better, but Big Mac has brought in some good seasons together, the only thing he has not is team toughness , I think Jerry’s influence and club culture in the team is the deterrent.

Hope Zimmer can bring it on D and it will rub off on the O. This years draft is hailed as tough physical players and so that will help.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wow , just wow. Bill ran Payton off. Lol