Are we okay at backup QB?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are we ok at backup QB? That is such a hard question to answer. This is Rush's 3rd year and white's 2nd. Not many thought we had good backups when Romo was starting with Moore as the primary and a little rookie named Dak. We are stuck with one of these young guys backing up Dak anyway. No way we pay a veteran guy more than what Dak is making, unless they get his contract done soon.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I wish we could have put his arm on Danny White. IMO White was in the top 4-5 QBs to ever wear the star but he did lack a big arm.
IMO..Danny was a big reason we went to several NFC championship games in the first place. He was very underrated. His arm was actually more than adequate if you go back and look. Hogeboom really didn't have much help around him at times and the defenses were not helping him either. I liked Gary...just that he didn't have help...had an aging team around him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
but back to the topic...are we ok? NOPE...HELL NAH. Until we see something from Mike White or Ccooper Rush that says otherwise...count me as a no.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I would LOVE to bring in a Sam Bradford for a looksey at backup. That would be a solid signing if the medical checks out.He could win a game in a pinch.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The fact that most of us have no idea what backups are still out there speaks volumes I think. Me, for what it's worth, I stick with White and see how he develops under a new QB coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I tend to like having a vet QB behind a young starting QB and a young backup being groomed behind an older vet QB.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
A backup won't usually take over for a championship run (though there are exceptions -- hello, Nick Foles and Earl Morell), but he can take over in the short term for 3 - 4 games and keep you in the hunt if you've started a good season. See Jeff Kemp playing in relief of Joe Montana. Kemp was no Montana, but that team was good enough to win games with Kemp while Montana healed up.
Don't forget Jeff Hostetler.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Don't forget Jeff Hostetler.

Good point. Sometimes you can have a backup shine way beyond expectations. Kurt Warner is another example. These cases are the exception rather than the rule, but they are possible. In most cases, you're doing good if a decent backup can keep you in the hunt while your starter heals up, then your offense improves greatly when the starter returns. But you're right. It's possible for a backup to surprise people by performing way beyond expectations.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I think they go with White.

That’s the plan - at least to see what White can do in training camp. If he still looks lost, they’re going to have to find a veteran. This team is just too good and too poised to make a run to risk flushing it all away with one injury.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Or do you think we should kick some free agent tires?
It is impossible to know, since the 2 bkups we have , have never got a chance to play in reg season.
Cooper came in one game and did handoffs. Thats it so there is just no way to know how they would play in a real game.
Just the fact that they have no experience playing in reg season game is bad imo.
A veteran who has played would be good to have.