Are we okay at backup QB?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
We are NOT OK at backup QB.

But no team is. White should improve, he could be a decent backup as early as this season. I think Cooper Rush remains a "break glass only in emergency" player and they go with 2 QBs on the 53 this year, but who knows how the preseason shakes out.

To say no team is good at backup is false. Some teams are. The point of a backup is to tread water if the starter is gone for some games.They are not supposed to come in and take over as good as the starter is for the remainder of the season. But our backups I don't think could even beat one team in this league if they had to. They would stack 9 in the box and make them beat them. Heck maybe even 10.

We were much better when we had Kitna and Orton as backup QBs. Veteran guys who have been starters and know the league. Our starters have zero skins on the wall and aren't any good.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I would say absolutely not. Does anybody here REALLY think Rush or White can step in right away and win some games? Highly doubtful. There has to be some serviceable veterans out there that would give you a better insurance policy, however, we have all come to know and love our newly ran *cough* cheap *cough* Cowboys and they will stand pat.

Kaiser

Reaction score
To say no team is good at backup is false. Some teams are. The point of a backup is to tread water if the starter is gone for some games.

No, the point of "good" is to be good and not marginal. There has only been one good backup recently and that was Nick Foles. By being good, he got an 88 million dollar contract to be a starter instead of a backup.

Name the non-marginal backups around the league. I'll wait.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We drafted a guy in the 5th round last year, develop him, he’s got an arm.

I can't help but think sometimes that it may make sense to find a way to put your backup QB into a real game so that his only experience isn't preseason. It's tough because, obviously, your starter gives you the best chance to win. You therefore generally put him in if you're blowing out the other team and your backup can play during mopup duty. The other case is if you're getting blown out and the game is unwinnable. The problem with that is it projects a lack of confidence in your starter. It makes me wonder if it would be possible to go against conventional wisdom and let him play just one series when you just have a decent lead. Of course, if that blew up in your face, the coach would never hear the end of it.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Or do you think we should kick some free agent tires?
Based on what some members post yeah we are more than okay. From what I've read Mike White is going to "blow up" and take Dak's spot despite Dak being ROY, a 2 time probowler, taking us to the playoffs twice, and winning a playoff game.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Based on what some members post yeah we are more than okay. From what I've read Mike White is going to "blow up" and take Dak's spot despite Dak being ROY, a 2 time probowler, taking us to the playoffs twice, and winning a playoff game.

That's good to know. I didn't realize Mike White was as great as that. Is there some way I can talk him into marrying my daughter?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Reminds me when we used Weeden, Cassel and Moore!!!! All turds lol

But unfortunately not every team can have a guy like Nick Foles as their backup
As long as people do realize that's all Nick Foles will ever be. A backup

csirl

Reaction score
I can't help but think sometimes that it may make sense to find a way to put your backup QB into a real game so that his only experience isn't preseason. It's tough because, obviously, your starter gives you the best chance to win. You therefore generally put him in if you're blowing out the other team and your backup can play during mopup duty. The other case is if you're getting blown out and the game is unwinnable. The problem with that is it projects a lack of confidence in your starter. It makes me wonder if it would be possible to go against conventional wisdom and let him play just one series when you just have a decent lead. Of course, if that blew up in your face, the coach would never hear the end of it.

In past decades it was standard procedure to pull your starting QB when the result was no longer in doubt. The thought process was that you'd be foolish to risk injury to your starter. I remember one year it being a big deal that Jags QB Mark Brunell took every QB snap in a season - and was the only QB to do so. Since then a culture has developed whereby starters refuse to come out of games. I dont know if this is something to do with them wanting to protect their own positions by ensuring nobody else got a snap/experience.

Going back even further to the 70s/80s it was common to replace starters mid game if they were playing mediocre. Sometimes backups would even play a couple of series while the coaches spoke to the starter about adjustments before returning him to the game. It is unusual for a starter to be pulled mid game now unlesa injured.

I think the overall standard of QBing in the league is worse as a result - there is a much bigger drop off from starter to backup than at any time in history.