CZ POLL Are you glad the Cowboys played their starters against the Eagles?

Are you glad the Cowboys played their starters against the Eagles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
S4wk3eu.gif

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don’t know this so it is a true question. Did Belichik ever set his started back when they had already clinched the AFC East by the eight game of the season?

Doomsday77

Reaction score
The only circumstance I would vote to treat this as the 4th preseason game would be IF we had the number 1 seed this year OR #2 seed in prior years- securing the bye.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t know this so it is a true question. Did Belichik ever set his started back when they had already clinched the AFC East by the eight game of the season?
I think comparing any team to a Belly coached team makes it a bad comparison. He's in a different league, all by himself.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think they could have pulled them at half.

I’m afraid a blow out win against mostly scrubs from the bench will provide a false sense of security we’ve fixed everything.

Up until the turnover before half their scrubs were holding tight with us. Embarrassing.

It was like Alabama playing Alcorn St. lol
I’m not sure you gain much but feeling good.

It’s concerning to me our defense gave up 27 to their bench.

Agreed. I'm happy for the win but most importantly no injuries. I think our backup running backs did better than Zeke did and I would have set him sooner I don't care about his thousand yards. Missing a few DB's hurt us but I am happy Joseph could get more reps.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Just a small few years ago, people were bi****** about Garrett not playing the starters before a playoff game, yada yada yada...needless to say, we lost that game and people whined. Now we play starters and people whine. I'm glad the Cowboys don't come to fans for advice.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I think comparing any team to a Belly coached team makes it a bad comparison. He's in a different league, all by himself.

Not even comparing Belichik teams with any other. My point is I don’t believe he ever benched his starters even though they had already clinched. I could be mistaken and that’s why I asked. And if true, I would guess his reason would be keeping momentum.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not even comparing Belichik teams with any other. My point is I don’t believe he ever benched his starters even though they had already clinched. I could be mistaken and that’s why I asked. And if true, I would guess his reason would be keeping momentum.
He didn't that I'm aware of. And playing to win in game 16 at 15-0 cost him a super bowl in 07 as Brady got hurt in a meaningless game, making an already not to mobile QB completely immobile, which played a huge part in the Giants sacking him 5 times and hitting him many times.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
He didn't that I'm aware of. And playing to win in game 16 at 15-0 cost him a super bowl in 07 as Brady got hurt in a meaningless game, making an already not to mobile QB completely immobile, which played a huge part in the Giants sacking him 5 times and hitting him many times.

Yes but it worked 5 other times. But I get the chances might not be worth it. This is always debated every year when teams are in that situation.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes but it worked 5 other times.
Did it really make a difference? How do we know? Eagles rested everyone in 17 and won the super bowl. Did playing the starters in meaningless games win the super bowl, or did having the best HC and QB of all time win the super bowl? KC played their starters last year in the last game and lost the super bowl.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Did it really make a difference? How do we know? Eagles rested everyone in 17 and won the super bowl. Did playing the starters in meaningless games win the super bowl, or did having the best HC and QB of all time win the super bowl? KC played their starters last year in the last game and lost the super bowl.
I agree. See post above

kskboys

Reaction score
However, I do believe the starters should play a half or so to keep the rust off. Unless there are mitigating factors, primarily injuries. However, pulling out all stops is foolish if there is nothing to play for.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Imho, the Cowboys needed to go into the playoffs with some hint of momentum, after losing to the Cardinals as they did. Otherwise, the players might have doubts about their worthiness to even be there. Also, McCarthy said the players voted to play as many of their starters as necessary to win the game. Obviously, winning was important enough to them to vote for it. I think it's much to their credit to do so.

It's interesting he allowed the team to vote on it, it's even more interesting they voted to play to win!
Way to go Cowboys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.