CZ POLL Are you happy with Mike McCarthy as the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys?

Are you happy with Mike McCarthy as the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

catiii

Reaction score
with health probs increasing in my nkneews and legs, it' good to have my cowboy bros and sisters to tlatk to

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The answer is actually complicated.

Yes I like him

Do I trust him with time management? No

He's much more good than bad, so I have to say yes. But I believe his poor time management skills at the end of games will be the final downfall of this team
I agree with this. He's done an excellent job with the team, but I worry about his time management gaffes. Makes me wonder if an assistant coach could help out with that one aspect of the game.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I voted no! I think McCarthy is doing a pretty good job but not sure McCarthy can get this team over the hump. A guy like Jim Harbaugh who is a no nonsense disciplinarian dictator type coach might be able to finish the job with this roster. The type of coach needed to finish the job is the exact type of coach Jerry would never hire.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I voted no! I think McCarthy is doing a pretty good job but not sure McCarthy can get this team over the hump. A guy like Jim Harbaugh who is a no nonsense disciplinarian dictator type coach might be able to finish the job with this roster. The type of coach needed to finish the job is the exact type of coach Jerry would never hire.
You should do Roman Empire reenactments.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Remember how/why Jerry dumped Parcells. The stadium was finished. As Jerry revealed in that drunken rant caught on camera, he felt he didn't 'need' Parcells any more. He could go back to a game manager coach he could control.

Then we got what was it, 3years of Wade Phillips, followed by a decade of Jason Garrett.

Getting McCarthy, a proven Super Bowl winning coach was a positive step in the right direction after 13 seasons of more Jerry futility.

Remember, it took about 5 years of the most godawful drafting in the history of the NFL for Jerry to GRUDGINGLY ADMIT he needed help and calling in Parcells.

Jerry then settled for mediocrity for 13 straight seasons with Phillips and Garrett until finally the last Garrett year I think Stephen finally managed to slap enough sense into Jerry to fire Garrett and bring in somebody else.

McCarthy, after that injury wrecked year where Dak broke his leg in 2020, has now produced three straight 12 win seasons. That is not easy to do in today's NFL.

For the REGULAR SEASON, McCarthy has proven he can get it done. It's in the PLAYOFFS that he has yet to prove himself as the Dallas coach. We're 1-2 under McCarthy in the playoffs, 1 win over the Bucs in Tom Brady's final game, and 0-2 against the 49ers.

If we go 0-3 vs the 49ers this year, despite the regular season success, Cowboys fans are not going to be happy. At all. And neither is Jerry Jones, who would LIKE to see Dallas at least make another Super Bowl before he shuffles off this mortal coil.

And McCarthy knows this.
The thing is it's not so much they lost the last two playoff games to the 49ers. It's they were awful and really not even competitive. Not as close as the score, it was domination. That regular season beat down of 42-10 was exactly what those other games felt like.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm not sure he would never hire him. He hired Parcells.

75boyz

Reaction score
Incomplete or TBD. I thought his hiring was with the understanding that he was to achieve playoff success and a championship(s) based on his resume.

He can win 12 regular season games for a decade for all I care.
Win some playoff games.
Plural.
Consistently.
AND at least one title.

Then yeah, satisfaction complete and his hiring accomplished its goal.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I believe Big Mike has done a quality job of building a consistently winning program here. But ... it's now time to do more damage in the playoffs.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
He has led the team to 12-5 for 3 straight years, and has validated parting with Kellen by helping Dak play the best ball of his career and finishing with a top 5 offense.

Beating SF remains the hurdle— but this team represents the best we have fielded since MM has been a HC.

Should DQ leave— I believe MM will make a savvy hire to continue to maximize the talent on D.

kevm3

Reaction score
Mike's made the team more watchable and competent looking compared to the past 2 decades, but we're still stuck in the conundrum of not getting past the second round.

I need to see progress before I give a Mike endorsement.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
How many rings does ole Jim have? His legend is greater than the truth.

snadler

Reaction score
The timing of this question is off, imagine what the responses would have been if boys lost to washington, or if they blew the detroit game after his embarrassment of the clock management or if they somehow lose to GB, or after the blowout loss to SF, or the SF playoff losses the previous two years. My feeling is pretty simple, anything short of the NFC championship and MM needs to go, i don’t care about regular season wins if it doesn’t lead to playoff success which is when it counts

zeke21

Reaction score
I voted no.. he is a good coach but I don't think he is a great coach. I was very excited when he arrived and I'm more than happy to watch 12-5 seasons but in terms of pure coaching.. I have concerns. Our playbook is still very very very basic.. no stunts, not a lot of trick plays that work.. MM relies on the fact that we are just better than our opponent.. our scheme doesn't actually assist that much. However that is not my biggest concern.. that is clearly the time management. Time and time and time again.. MM shows that he has no idea how to manage the clock OR to instruct his team how to manage the clock. It has legit cost us games and may continue to do so.

I wouldn't replace him with 'just anybody' but if the right candidate comes along.. I don't think he should be rusted on. Very clearly an improvement over the clapper but I still don't think we have the leagues best at the helm.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
These polls show how fans live in the moment. If the Cowboys lose on Sunday and they start this poll, it will be at least 70% against McCarthy.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I voted no.. he is a good coach but I don't think he is a great coach. I was very excited when he arrived and I'm more than happy to watch 12-5 seasons but in terms of pure coaching.. I have concerns. Our playbook is still very very very basic.. no stunts, not a lot of trick plays that work.. MM relies on the fact that we are just better than our opponent.. our scheme doesn't actually assist that much. However that is not my biggest concern.. that is clearly the time management. Time and time and time again.. MM shows that he has no idea how to manage the clock OR to instruct his team how to manage the clock. It has legit cost us games and may continue to do so.

I wouldn't replace him with 'just anybody' but if the right candidate comes along.. I don't think he should be rusted on. Very clearly an improvement over the clapper but I still don't think we have the leagues best at the helm.
Game-Set-Match

Status
Not open for further replies.