Argument for drafting a RB in RD1

endersdragon

Reaction score
No ways Dallas select a runningback in the 1st round. If they can't sign Murray bring in Mark Ingram to run behind this offense. Thus we won't have to spend our 1st on a runningback.

This draft I want defense. Whether its DE, DL or even linebacker, I'm all for that. For too long our team has neglected defense as a top choice. Thus we reap what we sow and therefore we have a defense void of talent.

Even if its a second round talent in the first round? EVERY mock I have seen has like 10 d-linemen going ahead of us and the guys we pick are guys like Carl Davis, a good player, but a late second round talent at best. If we can get a top 10 talent, instead of a top 50 talent... I say we have to take it and fill the holes it leaves in free agency. BPA all the way no matter what the position is.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Overstating?

Wow.

Are you saying you're not worried about having a rookie pick up a blitz from a package he's never seen before?

Many rookie running backs start in the NFL and Murray was only average at blitz pick up.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Many rookie running backs start in the NFL and Murray was only average at blitz pick up.

I thought I read where he was rated the 5th best RB at blitz pickup somewhere in this forum... I wouldn't say there are "many" rookie RBs that start... and the ones
that do usually are pulled often from the game for a veteran pass protector... Not many rookies play 3 downs for 16 games.

It's amazing how many of you believe Gordon or Gurley are sure fire NFL superstars... if it goes down the way you wish, all I have to say is you better be right.

dcboy

Reaction score
I don't want to draft a back in the first round and I don't want to resign Murray to a big or long-term contract either. I just fear that he won't be the same player that he was this year. I think he is good, but not special. We worked the he'll out of him this year and that's likely to put a toll on his body. I don't think we would be getting the same 2014 Murray. I doubt a rb will be bpa in the first and think we can get a good back after the first round.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Coming off a 12-4 season where the emphasis was on the running game that will make some folks nervous. Should Randle or Williams sustain an injury we would be very thin at RB.

Yeah, but substitute Murray for Williams and you have the same situation. He had trouble staying on the field until this year. I want him back but feel he'll cost too much money.

btcutter

Reaction score
Because someone else hadn't beaten the d down?

Not sure that's the argument. Once you wear down a D then you are popping off longer runs. It's not as if he wasn't given the opportunity in the 4th quarter.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why are we always concerned about what Dallas spends on free agents? I've never really understood the obsession since it's not our money and there's no evidence that it stops Dallas from going after whatever other pieces it feels are needed.

It isn't signing Murray that will prevent Dallas from going after a high-dollar DL. If Dallas doesn't go after a high-dollar DL, it will be because Dallas doesn't want to spend that much money on a DL.

It simply isn't an either/or situation and never has been. The Cowboys have been doing a good job of setting up contracts to not prohibit themselves in free agency and I expect that to continue.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Not sure that's the argument. Once you wear down a D then you are popping off longer runs. It's not as if he wasn't given the opportunity in the 4th quarter.

You are right. There is absolutely no difference between a back who has carried 20+ times in a game and rarely comes out in the passing game and a guy who has run down the field a few times on special teams.

On carries 21-30, Murray went 71-361 - that a 5.1 YPC average. So let's not have any nonsense about how he's not bringing it when the D is worn down.

btcutter

Reaction score
You are right. There is absolutely no difference between a back who has carried 20+ times in a game and rarely comes out in the passing game and a guy who has run down the field a few times on special teams.

On carries 21-30, Murray went 71-361 - that a 5.1 YPC average. So let's not have any nonsense about how he's not bringing it when the D is worn down.

Murray has had a phenomenon season. But eyes don't lie. We watch Murray falls down on runs when he has lots of green in front of him. I know Randle is fresh compared to Murray. But workhorse RB gets stronger as D wears down and that's when they pop the longer runs in the 4th quarter. They reap the rewards of their hard work in the 4th Q. Emmitt used to kill the other teams moral in the 4th by doing that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Murray has had a phenomenon season. But eyes don't lie. We watch Murray falls down on runs when he has lots of green in front of him. I know Randle is fresh compared to Murray. But workhorse RB gets stronger as D wears down and that's when they pop the longer runs in the 4th quarter. They reap the rewards of their hard work in the 4th Q. Emmitt used to kill the other teams moral in the 4th by doing that.

He got more yards than Emmitt ever did.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

You are giving me your perception. I gave you what the #s actually tell us.

And you can't really kill someone's "moral"

btcutter

Reaction score
You are giving me your perception. I gave you what the #s actually tell us.

And you can't really kill someone's "moral"

I think it's more than just perception or else the entire fan base would be screaming for Murray to be resigned and cost be damned. I would have him back if the cost is right but not going to break the bank for him.

I like to see Randle share more carries to preserve Murray for 2nd half of the season if we do resign him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think it's more than just perception or else the entire fan base would be screaming for Murray to be resigned and cost be damned. I would have him back if the cost is right but not going to break the bank for him.

I like to see Randle share more carries to preserve Murray for 2nd half of the season if we do resign him.

I think past injuries and fumbles are the main reasons the fan base isn't screaming for him to be resigned. Those two question marks keep it from being a home run.

I do think Randle should have been given more carries, but there shouldn't be any doubts about what kind of season Murray had and that it isn't one that's accomplished by any old back.

We take a risk if we let Murray go, but we also take risks if we keep him. That's why the decision is tricky.

btcutter

Reaction score
I think past injuries and fumbles are the main reasons the fan base isn't screaming for him to be resigned. Those two question marks keep it from being a home run.

I do think Randle should have been given more carries, but there shouldn't be any doubts about what kind of season Murray had and that it isn't one that's accomplished by any old back.

We take a risk if we let Murray go, but we also take risks if we keep him. That's why the decision is tricky.

It's a tough, tough situation. Murray is a known entity to the Cowboys and you love to stick to what you know. But price and durability are big issues.

If the price is right I am sure the Cowboys and fans would love to keep him. But not in a bidding war with other teams. The draft is a crap shoot. You never know if the RBs can translate their skills from college to pros but it's probably one of the easier transitions in terms of position. At #27 in the 1st or 2nd round you'll get to pick up a pretty good one (top 2 RB instead of already 7-10 best DL in the 1st round). Even in the 2nd round you'll likely pick up a top 5 RB. And they will come cheap for 4-5 years. Still need to address the D for sure.

Also remember that if Murray leaves, it's very likely Cowboys will receive a compensatory draft pick next year (maybe a 3rd round pick). The money will be used in FA to shore up the D and in the draft there are a lot of RBs to choose from.

At the end I do think Murray actually resigns with the Boys. I hope it's a reasonable contract.

dcboy

Reaction score
If the price is right I am sure the Cowboys and fans would love to keep him.
Also remember that if Murray leaves, it's very likely Cowboys will receive a compensatory draft pick next year ( a 3rd round pick). The money will be used in FA to shore up the D and in the draft there are a lot of RBs to choose from.
That's a good point about the comp pic. Unless, Murray is willing to take a low@ $6 m with incentives, I hope they let him walk.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a tough, tough situation. Murray is a known entity to the Cowboys and you love to stick to what you know. But price and durability are big issues.

If the price is right I am sure the Cowboys and fans would love to keep him. But not in a bidding war with other teams. The draft is a crap shoot. You never know if the RBs can translate their skills from college to pros but it's probably one of the easier transitions in terms of position. At #27 in the 1st or 2nd round you'll get to pick up a pretty good one (top 2 RB instead of already 7-10 best DL in the 1st round). Even in the 2nd round you'll likely pick up a top 5 RB. And they will come cheap for 4-5 years. Still need to address the D for sure.

Also remember that if Murray leaves, it's very likely Cowboys will receive a compensatory draft pick next year (maybe a 3rd round pick). The money will be used in FA to shore up the D and in the draft there are a lot of RBs to choose from.

At the end I do think Murray actually resigns with the Boys. I hope it's a reasonable contract.

The comp pick from Murray would be taken away if they sign a similar priced free agent defensive player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why are we always concerned about what Dallas spends on free agents? I've never really understood the obsession since it's not our money and there's no evidence that it stops Dallas from going after whatever other pieces it feels are needed.

It isn't signing Murray that will prevent Dallas from going after a high-dollar DL. If Dallas doesn't go after a high-dollar DL, it will be because Dallas doesn't want to spend that much money on a DL.

It simply isn't an either/or situation and never has been. The Cowboys have been doing a good job of setting up contracts to not prohibit themselves in free agency and I expect that to continue.
It's never been about Jerry's money, it's the cap people are worried about.

I think every year for the last 10 our cap situation has limited who we could and could not go after in the offseason.
There's always some affect--some years more than others.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's never been about Jerry's money, it's the cap people are worried about.

I think every year for the last 10 our cap situation has limited who we could and could not go after in the offseason.
There's always some affect--some years more than others.

The effect is very limited because there is always money that can be moved. The choice is whether to move the money and take the cap hit down the line or to not go after a player. Dallas weighs the player's value against the effect the acquistion will have.

Too many people think Dallas can't bring in who it wants (which is only true to the extent that it can't bring in everyone we want). Case in point was a few years ago when everyone thought Dallas was so far into cap hell that there was no way it could go after any big-name free agents. Then, Dallas was suddenly in the running to reel in Nnamdi Asomugha (who thankfully we didn't get), who was snatched away by Philly.

The Cowboys didn't suddenly find the funds to make that move despite their budget being in the red; the money was already there to be moved around if necessary. There's a price to pay for continually doing that, but most of the time as long as the team doesn't go FA crazy, that cost can be absorbed.

The money was there this past season to keep DeMarcus Ware and still bring in a couple of other high-priced FAs (through restructuring), but Dallas chose to cut ties with its injured and aging past and stock the defense with several lower-priced bodies. It could have signed Julius Peppers. It could have signed Jared Allen. But a direction was chosen that didn't include big-time players on their last legs.