Argument for drafting a RB in RD1

jday

Reaction score
I certainly don't have an issue with drafting a RB in the first provided the Cowboys pick the right one. If the Cowboys cannot reproduce the running game they had this year next year, they could very well be in for another long and painful to watch season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Again, misleading, because it's a lot about fit, personnel, and health e.t.c.

Player A could go to Team A and be a huge success while had they gone to Team B, they wouldn't have the same opportunity to excel.

Many players who are drafted early are going to situations where they don't have a lot of help. You have to look at the whole picture.

again, I don't disagree. but dallas is a playoff team, with a good OL, TEs that are decent blockers. a rookie will have more success than a rookie going to lets say jaguars. and just because they are a 3rd rounder doesn't mean they can't pass block or that a first rounder is a better pass blocker than a 3rd rounder.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
First off, Murray should be the priority. If he goes somewhere else who do we have? Let's hope we don't count on injured journeymen to come in and reproduce the same as Murray. Not because they can't because they could but you would be fine with Ingram or Spiller? I for one am not comfortable with that. Small injured backs. They would be part of a puzzle but if we wanted a work horse back, I only see that in AP, Murray, or the top 2 rated RB in the draft. Let's see, injured journeymen RB in the NFL or college backs with the the upside of Stephen Jackson/AP. Mind you, we draft injured players also.

In previous drafts we pick the BPA. If Murray or AP isn't signed I would say RB is a major priority. Now the drop off from the first two backs to the others in this draft is a couple tiers. You're talking about 5 stars to a 3.

We hit home runs with Murray and Barber. Other than that our RBS have been bums. THE JONESES? Felix and Julius? Where are they now? Stephen Jackson is still playing and I still hate the fact we passed on him. See what he did for the freakin Rams? That would've been great here.

Even if we do get Gurley and he starts mid way just like Jeremy Hill, I see it as a positive. we choose BPA and have a future RB.

Question before I keep going, who realistically will be there at 27 is everyone SOOOO excited about?

dallasdave

Reaction score
I'm all for drafting an RB in the 1st round if one of the top backs drop, especially if there are no great d-linemen on the board when we pick. If there's a better value at RB, grab the RB and shore up the d-line in fa.

Totally agree, couple of good young RB's in that 1st round that make a lot of sense. Hey that's a cute dog in the picture, needs a Dallas T-shirt.:p

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
No ways Dallas select a runningback in the 1st round. If they can't sign Murray bring in Mark Ingram to run behind this offense. Thus we won't have to spend our 1st on a runningback.

This draft I want defense. Whether its DE, DL or even linebacker, I'm all for that. For too long our team has neglected defense as a top choice. Thus we reap what we sow and therefore we have a defense void of talent.

38 Special

Reaction score
I think that is a bit misleading.

In Trent Richardson's rookie year he had 950 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns on a very bad Cleveland team. He then went to a Colts team that didn't have an offensive line.

Doug Martin had 1,454 yards rushing his rookie year, also with 11 touchdowns.

David Wilson found himself on a Giants team that was falling apart offensively.

Ingram has had some success on one of the most pass happy teams in the NFL.

Spiller and Matthews have as well. Almost all of these running backs have had success to some degree, but a lot of this falls on how they fit on their teams in the first place. Many of these teams are drafting running backs because they can't run the ball in the first place, and that's because they don't have the offensive lines or because they are pass happy offenses that don't have running games.

Problem is, we don't need "success to some degree", we need someone who can be effective from day 1. If the rookie is a liability in pass pro, he'll just take Dunbar's snaps as a special package back.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Problem is, we don't need "success to some degree", we need someone who can be effective from day 1. If the rookie is a liability in pass pro, he'll just take Dunbar's snaps as a special package back.

You're overstating Murray's role in pass pro.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
B9lZmd0IEAIbash.png:large

This may give Jerry pause from paying DM29 what he's earned. Can't say I blame him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he drafts a RB within the 1st 3 rounds.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
If Melvin Gordon falls to us somehow we would be insane not to take him. I watched every one of Melvin's games in college. It was obvious he was special from the very beginning.. A lot has been said about the guy. He has every trait you could possibly want in a RB: Breakaway speed, power, vision, patience and the playmaking ability to just completely take over a game. What some people may not realize is this guy is also great off the field. He is very smart, competitive and extremely hard working. He brings exactly the kind of attitude and work ethic we have been trying to foster on our team since JG took over. He doesn't have too much tread on his tires after splitting carries his whole career at Wisconsin. When he did receive the majority of the carries this season he exploded for 2,587 yards, 29 touchdowns with 7.5 YPC. Second all time only to the great Barry Sanders. He has no injury concerns and he gives us the opportunity to have an elite RB at an affordable price for years to come.

If we decide to pay Murray I won't be disappointed. I just hope we sign him to an affordable contract. Odds are Gordon won't be around when we pick anyway. I would like to see us take a RB at some point in this draft. Murray still has an injury history and carried the rock a lot this season. Joseph Randle's problems are well documented. This draft class is so stacked at RB its ridiculous.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The way Joseph Randle was popping off long runs the way he was makes me think it was more of the o-line than it was Murray.

Randle was fresh and barely played. Let's see the defenses line up to stop him as they did Murray. Big difference.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
And that is dangerous and flawed thinking.

I think between Randle, Williams and Dunbar you have adequate weapons. I'd add a big RB who can block to be the FB and can run power packages and short yardage. Murray will be missed but the running game will be good enough. If they can fix some of the defense particularly edge rusher, manybe interior pass rusher/run stopper, and DB and keep Murray then great.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think between Randle, Williams and Dunbar you have adequate weapons. I'd add a big RB who can block to be the FB and can run power packages and short yardage. Murray will be missed but the running game will be good enough.
Coming off a 12-4 season where the emphasis was on the running game that will make some folks nervous. Should Randle or Williams sustain an injury we would be very thin at RB.

Reaction score
It's hard to tell how much better DeMarco is than an average RB would be behind that O-line. The team could have done themselves a favor and allowed the backups, especially Williams, get extended looks,,, but from the small sampling we did see it appears that an average pair of RBs would do "well enough" to replace DeMarco. Even as a big OU and DeMarco fan, I still can't see paying a single running back $8 or $9 million per year unless he is a home run superstar,,, and even then I'd prefer a decent RBBC approach because RBs get hurt and the money is needed badly elsewhere. You just don't have to spend that much on the position to get positive production when you have a good OL. (the same is somewhat true of secondaries and the DL, btw)

Hey, how odd is it now to see the argument shift to how hard replacing DeMarco is going to be since the day we drafted him and all the naysayers were popping off? lol

Last edited:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The way Joseph Randle was popping off long runs the way he was makes me think it was more of the o-line than it was Murray.

Yeah. Popping off a long run after someone else has beaten the D to death with tough runs really does speak to something.. Just not what you think it does

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
For the most part I would say that I'm not into putting heavy resources into running backs, given how for the most part you can plug and play running backs in this league, especially if you have the offensive lines to do it.

With that being said, having a legitimate top talent at running back behind a line can obviously have its benefits.

The question then becomes how do you get this. I am staunchly against paying a running back. Just don't want to do it, but I don't mind getting a running back in the first round, though to be honest I'm not a huge fan of that either.

Outside of Dez Bryant, who I think most people would agree, would be pretty difficult to replace cheaply, the biggest free agent expense facing us this year is at running back.

The way I see it is I would offer Murray between 4 and 5 million a year, maybe with the first two years guaranteed, but outside of that, I'm not interested in shelling out more money for him. If he balks and someone wants to pay him 8-9 million a year thinking they're getting our offensive line with him, by all means let them.

That would bring us to Adrian Peterson. Does Adrian Peterson get released? Peterson is reinstated should be eligible by April 15th, well before the draft. I think we'll probably get an answer before then.

The first question is when will Peterson be reinstated, but the second question which is probably more important is what does Minnesota do with him. If they release him, fine, great. If they won't release him, will they trade for him, and how much will they ask for in a trade. I would give up a 5th maybe a 4th round draft pick for him. That also brings up the question of compensation, as I said before I don't want to break the bank for a running back. In signing him or trading for him, we would need to redo his contract and it would need to be team friendly.

Assuming we get neither running back though, I think we can use the money we save from not signing Murray to invest into the defense. I think that investment would afford us the ability to draft a running back in the first round.

Assume for instance that we spend 20 million dollars (per year on average) on defense in this years free agency. We could probably spend upwards of 30 million by not resigning Murray and instead finding his replacement in the draft.

That makes a large difference.

We can also install Ryan Williams, who while many may be tired of hearing about, could certainly help a rookie running back carry the load early in their career.

In closing, I would say that when you realize how difficult it is to build this defense for 2015 through the draft, you realize that we need to make the proper short term investments through free agency, the less you want to spend resources on RT and RB which can fairly easily be replaced in the draft.

If you don't get Gurley or Gordon in the draft, you can try to draft a running back later, and worst case scenario you can go with what you have (depending on if you cut Randle). There are also some free agent running back options that should come much cheaper than Murray would, Ingram or Spiller for example.

My take on our history with drafting RBs...

it just doesn't produce enough dividends.

We always lose them to injury in their 1st years becuz they are not conditioned to the physicality of the position..

..which means if they last long enough in their 4 year deals..

maybe we get some return on investment by their 3-4 seasons..

So what is the hurry.?

With our OL..running by committee is the solution and that means we want 3rd guys with 500-800 yards each season split b/w 2-3 backs every season.

We never have been able to manage that..but its still very achievable without breaking the cap bank going forward.

btcutter

Reaction score
Yeah. Popping off a long run after someone else has beaten the D to death with tough runs really does speak to something.. Just not what you think it does

I don't disagree with that. But why don't I see Murray popping off long runs in the 4th quarter in the second half of the season?