Article blasts Stephen Jones on missing Derrick Henry

Praxit

Reaction score
Didn't Henry publicly say that he was interested but cowboys never reached out to him ?
..im not sure.. Though later, someone had posted he quoted being interested with Eagles at the time.

Verdict

Reaction score
Signing Henry would have had to be part of several other free agent additions for it to make sense.

Henry himself would not have put this team over the top.

I waffle between this guy using excuses to be cheap vs him having zero understanding of windows under which to win.
I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but Henry (although partially over the hill) is probably a significantly better back than Zeke. The Cowboys could have signed Henry and gone with unproven players at RB and ran Henry pretty much every down.

Unless Zeke has found his burst the starter for us at RB is probably not on the team and if the starter is on this team it could be a long year. I am a fan of Deuce but I have my doubts if the Cowboys will even try to play to his strengths.

quickccc

Reaction score
..im not sure.. Though later, someone had posted he quoted being interested with Eagles at the time.
https://www.nfl.com/news/derrick-henry-says-signing-with-cowboys-would-ve-been-perfect-situation-but-they-never-reached-out#:~:text=Derrick Henry says signing with,but 'they never reached out'

" Derrick Henry says signing with Cowboys would've been 'perfect situation' but 'they never reached out "​

"They ain't holla at me at all," Henry answered when asked if the Cowboys were in the mix.....For Henry, it would've been a surreal situation to play with a star on his helmet. Ideal a location as it might well have been, Henry indicated nothing was ever in the works."
" "It would've been crazy," he said. "I thought it'd been some type of reach out, some type of talks or whatever. They never reached out, you know what I'm saying? I don't really know too much about their organization. All I know is what I hear. I was talking to my agent. They weren't really interested. It is what it is... "

mattjames2010

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/derrick-henry-says-signing-with-cowboys-would-ve-been-perfect-situation-but-they-never-reached-out#:~:text=Derrick Henry says signing with,but 'they never reached out'

" Derrick Henry says signing with Cowboys would've been 'perfect situation' but 'they never reached out "​

"They ain't holla at me at all," Henry answered when asked if the Cowboys were in the mix.....For Henry, it would've been a surreal situation to play with a star on his helmet. Ideal a location as it might well have been, Henry indicated nothing was ever in the works."
" "It would've been crazy," he said. "I thought it'd been some type of reach out, some type of talks or whatever. They never reached out, you know what I'm saying? I don't really know too much about their organization. All I know is what I hear. I was talking to my agent. They weren't really interested. It is what it is... "
Just embarrassing. Henry is the type of back I could see having another big season left in him. If that's the case, it's going to be tough watching him next season and thinkin "what if". Will be one of those no signings that fans bring up well into the future.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ravens have won SBs with a tough defense and tough running game, the 2000 season their leading receiver was Shannon Sharpe, with only 810 yards receiving, but the team had nearly 2.200 yards rushing.
So, Henry is a good fit, I'd say the Ravens have a much better chance of getting to "the promised land" than the Cowboys...
Geeez, year 2000 was over 2 decades ago ... what if we tally it up far more later years as say The Flacco SB .......who was their RB, and run game operated by ? Ray Rice ? ..who rushed for 1100+ yards but only 71 yards per game ?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It appears like Stephen always seems to think he might get something for nothing, only to see his candidates walk away. :angry:
The fact that he feels so free to make these cheap offers to players with good backgrounds is somewhat absurd to understand.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Just embarrassing. Henry is the type of back I could see having another big season left in him. If that's the case, it's going to be tough watching him next season and thinkin "what if". Will be one of those no signings that fans bring up well into the future.
Unfortunately ... the Cowboys simply do not see and undervalue the RB role so much, that they are ignoring that its' the RB role (and defense) that would give us the best chance to advance over the next playoff hurdle to the NFC title game .
Dak is not the QB that can take over and do it all by himself ..imo. .

- Detroit Lions, very long time perennial losers of the NFL, .added a very productive RB tandem and unit in " splash" backs David Montgomery and Gibbs, that help aid QB Goff in becoming one game away from the SB advancement (and their HC may have squandered that)
And they are not big, hulking powering bell cows...teams like Lions, Niners, and Miami help prove that you can be productive with splash backs .. if coaching knows well how to scheme and use them ... .(sigh) our coaches do not however.

- And the same way Goff benefitted from such productive RBs, ..Dak could have been helped by productive RB unit come playoff time as well.
I would've been onboard with signing Henry to help Dak ..lay pressure on the current coaches to best utilize him .
.and if they cannot - then say " Bye Felicia " .. to the McCarthy crew, and try to get the right coaches would can use our RBs

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
What people are pissed about isn't that thr Cowboys did nit sign Henry. Rather they are pissed that they were fed thus diet of the Cowboys being players for Henry and then nothing.

Flamma

Reaction score
Signing Henry would have had to be part of several other free agent additions for it to make sense.

Henry himself would not have put this team over the top.

I waffle between this guy using excuses to be cheap vs him having zero understanding of windows under which to win.
This is a good point. They could have signed Henry, but that's it. Since they're hell bent on eating Dak's 55M cap hit, there's not much room for anything else. Being players in free agency all hinged off of a Dak extension.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Geeez, year 2000 was over 2 decades ago ... what if we tally it up far more later years as say The Flacco SB .......who was their RB, and run game operated by ? Ray Rice ? ..who rushed for 1100+ yards but only 71 yards per game ?
So what if it was two decades ago? Cowboys won the 1971 season SB with a strong running game and not a lot of passing, then what happened in 1992-3? Cowboys won the SB with a strong running game and not a lot of passing, which just happened to be 2 decades later.

The NFL changes from one winning style to another at various periods. Just because the Ravens did it 2 decades ago has zero guarantees it won't happen again.

quickccc

Reaction score
So what if it was two decades ago? Cowboys won the 1971 season SB with a strong running game and not a lot of passing, then what happened in 1992-3? Cowboys won the SB with a strong running game and not a lot of passing, which just happened to be 2 decades later.

The NFL changes from one winning style to another at various periods. Just because the Ravens did it 2 decades ago has zero guarantees it won't happen again.

- I don't think we need a Time Machine travel to the Landry- Shula era .. or look back at almost 30 years ago in the 90's
to make example points for a run game helping a starting QB ?

- Even just serviceable run game (ala KC Chiefs) can really help out an elite QB, (without competent WR unit) coupled with a
capable defense, and top notch coaching

- Niners and Lions used a capable RB unit to help propelled them in very serious contention for the SB.
Bills offense got a serious boost from RB James Cooks (who murdered us)

- The Ravens did not have a critically valued RB that could avoid them from being 1-dimensional vs Chiefs in the AFC title game
They seriously addressed that issue with henry... while we sit on our hands and let it be next year's problem address in offseason.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
- I don't think we need a Time Machine travel to the Landry- Shula era .. or look back at almost 30 years ago in the 90's
to make example points for a run game helping a starting QB ?

- Even just serviceable run game (ala KC Chiefs) can really help out an elite QB, (without competent WR unit) coupled with a
capable defense, and top notch coaching

- Niners and Lions used a capable RB unit to help propelled them in very serious contention for the SB.
Bills offense got a serious boost from RB James Cooks (who murdered us)

- The Ravens did not have a critically valued RB that could avoid them from being 1-dimensional vs Chiefs in the AFC title game
They seriously addressed that issue with henry... while we sit on our hands and let it be next year's problem address in offseason.
Not a problem. The Cowboys’ offensive line are “road graders”.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a good point. They could have signed Henry, but that's it. Since they're hell bent on eating Dak's 55M cap hit, there's not much room for anything else. Being players in free agency all hinged off of a Dak extension.
To me, the bottom line with the decisions this front office made this off-season is one (or all) of these scenarios:
  1. They already decided ahead of this off-season they were not going to create cap space for free agency even though they had options to do that.
  2. Because they are completely unaccountable they are perfectly content to potentially waste a season. (When your job is never on the line, what’s the big hurry?)
  3. They literally don’t know how to build a top shelf roster in the cap era. They’ve never done it.
  4. All of the above.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Fisher said Henry lives about 15 minutes from the star, and that the cowboys should have at least talked to him.
He might have taken a 1 year cheap deal just to play for cowboys, as he lives right there!!

I think jerry had his mind set on getting elliot back so he didnt bother seriously considering any other rb.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This is exactly what's going to happen. I'm gonna tell you another thing that is going to happen, and no psychic powers are needed for it - Zeke will be as terrible or worse than the naysayers are predicting.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Fisher said Henry lives about 15 minutes from the star, and that the cowboys should have at least talked to him.
He might have taken a 1 year cheap deal just to play for cowboys, as he lives right there!!

I think jerry had his mind set on getting elliot back so he didnt bother seriously considering any other rb.
He refused to consider Henry, because a large portion of the fan base wanted him, and it was the logical move that nearly anyone with a functioning brain that isn't ruled by their ego could see..

He chose Zeke, because a near consensus of fans were against it, and it's a clown show move. It was his latest "screw you" to the fans.

coult44

Reaction score
...Bullet, I dont feel Henry ever wanted to come hear. So its kinda mute.
Well you “feel” wrong . Because he 100% said he did. Good lord, have you been under a rock? He said it multiple times.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
https://fansided.com/posts/stephen-...s-botching-derrick-henry-pursuit-unacceptable

In a direct and straightforward way, this linked article from FanSided blasts Stephen Jones for his comments about why the Cowboys did not pursue RB Derrick Henry when he was available at a reasonably low price. The author just cuts to the chase that Jones’ explanation is simply “unacceptable”.

The sentence from the article below pretty accurately sums up the philosophy of SJ and his father:
“What this all means is the Cowboys would once again rather be in the headlines than field a serious Super Bowl contender.”
I'm with Stephen on this. Henry is old and spent. But, on the other hand, signing g him would be classic Cowboys.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
To me, the bottom line with the decisions this front office made this off-season is one (or all) of these scenarios:
  1. They already decided ahead of this off-season they were not going to create cap space for free agency even though they had options to do that.
  2. Because they are completely unaccountable they are perfectly content to potentially waste a season. (When your job is never on the line, what’s the big hurry?)
  3. They literally don’t know how to build a top shelf roster in the cap era. They’ve never done it.
  4. All of the above.
You nailed it. I think Dak is a top 12ish QB. Are you willing to pay him his market value and surround him with pieces HE needs to win? If not....THEN MOVE ON! Somehow you are punishing Dak by fielding an inferior team to prove to everyone he is not worth the money? What sense does this make? Why would you carry Dak, Lance and Rush? If you don't want Dak, if you don't think he is worth the money....then move on and find out if Trey Lance can be the answer. If not, then why did you bring Trey Lance in?

This situation is tailor made for WHY you brought Trey Lance here in the first place!!!!!!!!! For leverage in your negotiations with Dak!!!!!!!

Something this front office has always been loathe to do is pay people for doing nothing. They will not fire coaches because they don't want to pay people for doing nothing. And they really don't like to let go of players until they feel they've gotten their moneys worth. There is a REASON why Zeke played on one leg and Jerry insisted Zeke will carry the load he's always carried (translation, what we are paying him to do). This is the one area they are consistent in. If fans have not figured this out, they are not paying attention. Far be it from to tell people what to do with their money, but the business mind in them has always gotten in the way of the unwritten rules of owning a sports franchise. Those rules are "sometimes you have to cut your losses....which means someone beat you out of your money" Happens all the time in SPORTS...but these franchises make money hand over fist to absorb these types of losses. Heck, not getting their moneys worth out of Brandon Carr is the PRIMARY reason they have pretty much sat out when it comes to signing big time free agents. This is stuff is not hard to figure out if your are paying attention.

Last edited: