Article: Jeb Bush as NFL Commish?

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Casual fans still mean $$.

and i'm interested in why you think Jeb would be apolitical as the commish but Hillary or Ted Kennedy wouldn't.

Huh? Read my post and tell me where I said they would be political? Its an example me not liking certain politicians like you might not, and me not caring if they were a commish as long as they don't bring "Their" politics into NFL, much like people wouldn't care as long as Jeb didn't bring "His" politics into NFL. Again seems like you are trying to get into a political discussion here.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Huh? Read my post and tell me where I said they would be political? Its an example me not liking certain politicians like you might not, and me not caring if they were a commish as long as they don't bring "Their" politics into NFL, much like people wouldn't care as long as Jeb didn't bring "His" politics into NFL. Again seems like you are trying to get into a political discussion here.

From your post " I wouldn't care for them personally, but that wouldn't deter me from watching my favorite team, unless they start to bring politics into their NFL discussions."

This wasn't a political discussion issue -- only one where it sounded to me like you believed one group might bring politics to the position and another wouldn't. You could subsitute "politics" for objectivity here if you like.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I guess I just miss the part where NFL Commissioner is a popularity contest.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
The last thing the league needs is something that may drive some fans away -- and believe me -- there are casual fans who would not like this one bit -- you drive fans away then you've got smaller TV contracts etc.

well apparently the leauge doesn't feel that it would be much of a problem

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Casual fans still mean $$.

and i'm interested in why you think Jeb would be apolitical as the commish but Hillary or Ted Kennedy wouldn't.
Have either of them been mentioned for the job?

If not this was a tangent not needed on a football forum.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Again, who gives a rat's butt if people hate him? Can he do a good job? That's all I'd care.

Tags was a Skins season ticket holder and many don't like him. He's done an overall fantastic job.

:hammer:

if a football fan is more concerned about the politics than the sport, maybe he should be watching another sport then...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
well apparently the leauge doesn't feel that it would be much of a problem

boy, I guess that we shouldn't be discussing the issue at all -- since the league doesn't see this as a problem.

keep in mind that the league is creating a list of candidates right now -- not offering the job to anyone or even conducting interviews.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
boy, I guess that we shouldn't be discussing the issue at all -- since the league doesn't see this as a problem.

keep in mind that the league is creating a list of candidates right now -- not offering the job to anyone or even conducting interviews.
That isn't what he's saying. Why go overboard?

Let's discuss it without politics. He's apparently not an attorney. I consider this a strike against him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the NFL is all about ratings and money, don't you think they would be thinking about the possible impact of hiring someone such as JEB Bush, if his political standing would be a problem? most fans don't even know who the commissioner is, and most are under the voting age, it won't hurt the NFL a bit

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Have either of them been mentioned for the job?

If not this was a tangent not needed on a football forum.

I didn't bring them up - not to be disrespectful but I'm not the one you should be telling it isn't needed.

I only asked the person who did bring them up why person A was seen as objective but Persons B and C might bring "politics" into the job.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
the NFL is all about ratings and money, don't you think they would be thinking about the possible impact of hiring someone such as JEB Bush, if his political standing would be a problem? most fans don't even know who the commissioner is, and most are under the voting age, it won't hurt the NFL a bit
Actually, I would guess that most don't know he is even the governor of Florida or the brother of the President...

Have you ever seen the "Man on the street" stuff on Leno?

Most don't even know who the VP is, much less the governor of a state they don't live in...

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
abersonc said:
From your post " I wouldn't care for them personally, but that wouldn't deter me from watching my favorite team, unless they start to bring politics into their NFL discussions."

This wasn't a political discussion issue -- only one where it sounded to me like you believed one group might bring politics to the position and another wouldn't. You could subsitute "politics" for objectivity here if you like.

It sure seems like you want a political discussions on merits of political leanings instead of whether a person's political leanings would matter in the Job of NFL commisioner.

And I dont have any foggiest idea where you want to substitute Objectivity to Politics in the post I made. Other than that you seem to be implying that I somehow blame certain people are going to bring politics into their job, which seems like you want to drag me into a political debate there, as you want to take things out of context or rather bend it to your liking? If so, then I don't care to continue on, since its not the forum to do it.

As I stated, I wouldn't care who the commisioner is, wether they are former politician or Former Commanders season Ticket Holder or even Former Owner/VP of Forty Whiners, as long as they seem to be doing their job fairly for most part. Sometimes I might not like what they are doing, but that wont deter me from rooting for the team of my liking or NFL in general. Well unless they bring convicted felon or criminal or terrorist etc. that is.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
It sure seems like you want a political discussions on merits of political leanings instead of whether a person's political leanings would matter in the Job of NFL commisioner.

And I dont have any foggiest idea where you want to substitute Objectivity to Politics in the post I made. Other than that you seem to be implying that I somehow blame certain people are going to bring politics into their job, which seems like you want to drag me into a political debate there, as you want to take things out of context or rather bend it to your liking? If so, then I don't care to continue on, since its not the forum to do it.

As I stated, I wouldn't care who the commisioner is, wether they are former politician or Former Commanders season Ticket Holder or even Former Owner/VP of Forty Whiners, as long as they seem to be doing their job fairly for most part. Sometimes I might not like what they are doing, but that wont deter me from rooting for the team of my liking or NFL in general. Well unless they bring convicted felon or criminal or terrorist etc. that is.
I will disagree with you there. I don't think the NFL should or could consider DeBartolo because of the gambling allegations several years ago.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Actually, I would guess that most don't know he is even the governor of Florida or the brother of the President...

Have you ever seen the "Man on the street" stuff on Leno?

Most don't even know who the VP is, much less the governor of a state they don't live in...

true, and think about the college-age kids (21-25), most of them don't even vote period, so how would they disagree with Bush's views when they don't even know what they are, and then take that into account when looking at his little bro becoming NFL Commish, this isn't the 50s anymore abersonc

superpunk

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Most don't even know who the VP is

I do. This guy;

Fester.jpg

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I didn't bring them up - not to be disrespectful but I'm not the one you should be telling it isn't needed.

I only asked the person who did bring them up why person A was seen as objective but Persons B and C might bring "politics" into the job.

Yeah, nice spin there.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I will disagree with you there. I don't think the NFL should or could consider DeBartolo because of the gambling allegations several years ago.

Oh, yeah, He will be under that convicted felon or criminal exceptions I have. :D But that was just example of people I personally don't like or dislike a lot, but I wouldn't care if they became a commish as long they seem be doing the job fairly without brining any agendas to the job.

Oh, Carmen Policy might not be suited either, since he is suspected of Mafia ties :D

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

I'm not trying to have a "political" discussion -- I read your post to suggest that a certain candidate might not bring politics to the arena whereas others who have not been mentioned as candidates might.

Me, I'd see all of them bringing a ton of political baggage with them - none of it good for the league.

And regarding being a season ticket holder for team X or Y -- wouldn't you expect the commish to be a football fan? and as a fan with a lot of money, you might expect he or she'd have season tickets to their local team.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Oh, yeah, He will be under that convicted felon or criminal exceptions I have. :D But that was just example of people I personally don't like or dislike a lot, but I wouldn't care if they became a commish as long they seem be doing the job fairly without brining any agendas to the job.

Oh, Carmen Policy might not be suited either, since he is suspected of Mafia ties :D
Any former players who would be candidates?

I always thought Walter Payton or Roger Stauabch would be good Commish candidates.