Article: Jeb Bush as NFL Commish?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Any former players who would be candidates?

I always thought Walter Payton or Roger Stauabch would be good Commish candidates.

You got a real story if Walter Payton takes the job. :laugh1:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I'm not trying to have a "political" discussion -- I read your post to suggest that a certain candidate might not bring politics to the arena whereas others who have not been mentioned as candidates might.

Me, I'd see all of them bringing a ton of political baggage with them - none of it good for the league.

And regarding being a season ticket holder for team X or Y -- wouldn't you expect the commish to be a football fan? and as a fan with a lot of money, you might expect he or she'd have season tickets to their local team.
I'd see none of them doing it.

I really mean that too.

superpunk

Reaction score
Hostile said:

I always thought Walter Payton or Roger Stauabch would be good Commish candidates.

Whoa Hos....I'm not even sure the NFL can resurrect people yet...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I don't think Roger would do it, he seems pretty comfortable doing his thing now

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk said:

It is part of the new bargaining agreement, NFLPA only has 1 demand and that is they have a say so on who can come back.:laugh1:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:

did you hear about the NFL Cloning Project, NCP, that was started in '98? of course you didn't, it was a secret

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I'm not trying to have a "political" discussion -- I read your post to suggest that a certain candidate might not bring politics to the arena whereas others who have not been mentioned as candidates might.

Me, I'd see all of them bringing a ton of political baggage with them - none of it good for the league.

And regarding being a season ticket holder for team X or Y -- wouldn't you expect the commish to be a football fan? and as a fan with a lot of money, you might expect he or she'd have season tickets to their local team.

I guess MODS decided to delete that post as you got into political discussion about it. But again, you are twisting words. I clearly said, I dont care for Person A and/or B but as long as they dont bring politics into NFL dealings, I wouldn't care, just any fan wouldn't care about Jeb Bush. But then you want to see what you want to see in that post seems like.

Now as far as Commish being as season ticket holder, I would prefer him not be, but just general fan of NFL. And mainly someone who knows how NFL works etc. There are lot of hardcore NFL fans, who really are not Season ticket holders, even if they can afford to be. And might not be even die hard, one team only fans. Sure, they are probably are minority of them, but I have enough celibrity types who seem to be hardcore NFL fans, but not hard core "one Team" fans. And I think that might be the case of several prominent people that might be considered for NFL commish job, but that wont be the required case obviously.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I wouldn't blame him either.

Especially since he is pretty damn rich Hos. Well at least the signs I see every where about Staubach realestate is any indication.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
true, and think about the college-age kids (21-25), most of them don't even vote period, so how would they disagree with Bush's views when they don't even know what they are, and then take that into account when looking at his little bro becoming NFL Commish, this isn't the 50s anymore abersonc

Most of any age group do not vote, so this statement should be inclusive of everyone.

Which brings us to the next point, which is, just because someone votes or not, does not mean they do or do not, agree or disagree, know or not know, what a person's views are.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh.

God.

No.

Now, a serious candidate, imo, would be Seahawks owner Paul Allen. His business background would more than qualify him to succeed Taglibue (sp?).

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Which brings us to the next point, which is, just because someone votes or not does not mean they do, or do not, agree or disagree, know or not know, what a person's views are.

true, but it could mean that not voting, means they don't care enough about their views, to really care that much if that person's brother is elected Commish

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Oh.

God.

No.

Now, a serious candidate, imo, would be Seahawks owner Paul Allen. His business background would more than qualify him to succeed Taglibue (sp?).

But really, why would he? He is rich beyond means. Why would he require that headache, apart from the fact that he is an owner of an NFL team and NBA team, which I think would automatically disqualify him from Commish job or at least I believe it does.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
true, but it could mean that not voting, means they don't care enough about their views, to really care that much if that person's brother is elected Commish

Could being the operative word here. But I wouldn't count on that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I don't think Roger would do it, he seems pretty comfortable doing his thing now

I don't think he would take the cut in pay.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I guess MODS decided to delete that post as you got into political discussion about it. But again, you are twisting words. I clearly said, I dont care for Person A and/or B but as long as they dont bring politics into NFL dealings, I wouldn't care, just any fan wouldn't care about Jeb Bush. But then you want to see what you want to see in that post seems like.

That's a nice spin buddy -- they deleted your post because of something I said in response.

Again, as I read your post, you were suggesting one group couldn't be objective -- the broader point I was going to make (and did in another post) was that NO politician can be objective - any high profile political person brings a history that at least half the fans don't like -- and some small percentage may react VERY negatively to that. Psychologists call the construct cognitive dissonance -- when someone you hate becomes associated with something you like you either have to a) start to like that person or b) start to hate the thing you liked. Any percentage that chooses Option B is going to hurt the league's interests.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
But really, why would he? He is rich beyond means. Why would he require that headache, apart from the fact that he is an owner of an NFL team and NBA team, which I think would automatically disqualify him from Commish job or at least I believe it does.
Why most rich guys take public office... power... http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/strongarm.gif