At some point, teams are going to shift their thinking on QB contracts

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 15, 2019.

1. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

15,154 Messages
    17,341 Likes Received
    IDK man. Problem is, if you don't have a Qb, you got nuthin'. And since starter quality QB's are rare, even the 15-25 range gets paid handsomely.

Hawkeye0202 and cern like this.
  2. cern

cern Well-Known Member

8,341 Messages
    11,407 Likes Received
    Qb's are signed with hope and expectation. Life is full of disappointments.

3. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,712 Messages
    12,821 Likes Received
    :clap::clap:the only difference is NFL/owners are making more money, which they're required to share with the players. Read this......you can probably make a case we as fans are responsible coz we continue making the NFL a profitable monster.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-revenue.aspx

The cap grows from contractually obligated revenue like sponsorship and TV deals, and then projections of local revenue based on the year before. It rose from $155 million in 2016 to the $167 million for the coming season.

A big driver is the new Thursday night TV package, which grew from $300 million to $450 million a year after CBS and NBC agreed to a new two-year deal last year. That comes to nearly $5 million extra per club. The other national TV contracts also have annual increases that add to the cap.

4. DHCBF66

DHCBF66 Well-Known Member

1,193 Messages
    1,450 Likes Received
    Owners want to win, this gives the players all the leverage. As long as the cap keeps going up so will the pay for key positions.Back up QBs are making more $$$ than guys like Aikman and Montana did in their hay days.

5. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,712 Messages
    12,821 Likes Received
    Excellent point! For example, just read last week Broncos QB, Case Keenum is set to make either 18 or $19m next season.

6. black label

black label Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    5,254 Likes Received
    shift them away from the hol qb that we ahve

7. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

5,528 Messages
    3,124 Likes Received
    Supply and demand. Google it.

8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

44,278 Messages
    43,785 Likes Received
    Yes, I should have said Wentz/Foles.

Neither gets full credit. Wentz had 11 wins getting them the first round bye. Foles won the playoff games.

kskboys likes this.
  9. kskboys

15,154 Messages
    17,341 Likes Received
    Math, ain't it a booger?

The guarantee doesn't come off the cap in one year.

DFWJC likes this.
  10. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

17,835 Messages
    30,055 Likes Received
    Agree but double that of the closest and possibly the better player is pushing it. Some of these highly paid QB's are not even in the top 3-5 best players on the team. There is a shortage of Tier 1's so Tier 2's get Tier 1 money.

kskboys likes this.
  11. kskboys

15,154 Messages
    17,341 Likes Received
    And tier 1's are getting stupid money due to importance of position!!!!

12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

45,623 Messages
    32,501 Likes Received
    :muttley:

13. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

19,657 Messages
    13,276 Likes Received
    I understand what you are saying but it's a horrible idea to overpay for Andy Dalton, or Ryan Tannehill. That's how these teams get mired in mediocrity.

Part of the problem is the insistence on the "formula" of one franchise QB that stays in the pocket and passes the ball 40 times per game.

A team could add three low level QBs to the roster that have jets for legs, who can pass a little bit, and turn the NFL on its head. The problem hasn't been the success of those teams it is the injuries to the QBs.

At some point the worm will turn in the same way that running backs have experienced a resurgence. There are not enough Pat Mahommes in the world to put one on every team.

kskboys likes this.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

45,623 Messages
    32,501 Likes Received
    I get your point
    but I need to call you on posting full duration of contract guaranteed dollars as a percentage of only one year of cap.

Not very relevant.

15. Verdict

19,657 Messages
    13,276 Likes Received

Yes, but paying a QB $30M doesn't make him pass the ball any better.

16. Verdict

19,657 Messages
    13,276 Likes Received
    So you want to pay Dak $30M now? What a reversal of position! Lol. J/k

17. Verdict

19,657 Messages
    13,276 Likes Received
    Why would you take the entire length of acontract and compare it to a single years cap?

kskboys likes this.
  18. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

4,093 Messages
    4,670 Likes Received
    The only cycle we have seen is QB's get paid more than everyone else even as the cap goes up every year; if I am wrong about this please share. I dont get why fans care; but Dak deserves to get paid. 20 mil is only 3 million more than Romo got on his big contract back in 2013 after leading his team to 3 straight 8-8 seasons. Not only has the cap gone up significantly since then but Dak the last 3 seasons has led his team to the second most wins in the NFL since he has been in the NFL.

19. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

22,635 Messages
    13,308 Likes Received
    The current situation simply places more importance in having an elite QB.

And I don’t expect it to change anytime soon as Salary Cap is dictating.

Teams with a more elite QB is easier to surround in Cap era.

20. Verdict

19,657 Messages
    13,276 Likes Received
    Yes. But I'm saying that is part of the problem. They are paying bad QBs a lot of money.