At What Point Can We Say The Window Has Closed?

Staubacher

Reaction score
Who said they have to be replaced in the draft?
It's been a common refrain here that all these holes are gonna be filled. In the draft.
Also, they are not going to be aggressive in filling these holes in free agency.

Kwyn

Reaction score
We are losing an irreplaceable amount of starters and quality backups. The fact that most of our guys were scooped up day 1 of FA should be telling enough.

We can’t sign big names because Daks contract is too large. At what point do we say this is an unsalvageable situation and we are not going to be a 12+ win team going forward? This feels like a descent into a valley
The team still has way too much talent to fall off the cliff just yet.

Love him or hate him but Dak is still a very high quality QB during the regular season.

Micah and our secondary are going to continue to get turnovers and keep scoring to a manageable level.

Only way a tank season could come would require some serious injuries or absences at those positions.

The team could even fail to win the division and maybe not make the playoffs but even just 9 wins likely doesn’t put the team in a spot where they would get a top ten pick.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Who said they have to be replaced in the draft?
It's been a common refrain here that all these holes are gonna be filled in the draft.
Also, they are not going to be aggressive in filling these holes in free agency.

What does that leave?

ICP

Reaction score
When was it they signed Dak to the last contract?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think letting Tyron walk and not creating any cap space to make additions shows you they believe the current window is closed.
Tyron wanted too much so it was smart to let him walk.

They will create cap space. They will sign free agents.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think both Detroit and Cleveland have a better chance of getting to a super bowl than Dallas. Detroit will probably get there first.
1000%
With this GM induced charmin soft culture it's a miracle to win a playoff game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been a common refrain here that all these holes are gonna be filled in the draft.

What does that leave?
There is a DE already on the roster to replace Armstrong. There are centers in the draft and there are always RB's either in the draft or FA.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Jerry will say something like "As long as we have Dak then our window is wide open like a mosquito tryin' to fly in on a summer evenin"

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Who left that wasn't expected? They can be replaced also.
It’s not that the guys who’ve left can’t be replaced it’s the volume of positions that need replaced that worries me. If you go into the drafting having to hit on your 3rd round pick you’re typically in trouble. Still some time for the cowboys to do something but they have to actually do something.

Staubacher

Reaction score
There is a DE already on the roster to replace Armstrong. There are centers in the draft and there are always RB's either in the draft or FA.
Ok so now we're back to my original contention. You're disagreeing with yourself lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not that the guys who’ve left can’t be replaced it’s the volume of positions that need replaced that worries me.
I get that. But the Cowboys will sign some free agents. Or make trades. It's not like they will do nothing.

Nothing unexpected happened today. The Cowboys aren't going to overpay. Ask Tyron. And I am very glad.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’ve been pretty consistent that 12 win seasons and stability as a playoff team and organization is a good thing and it is but you also have to make the moves necessary that will get you over the hump. The cowboys were already not in the same tier as the buffalo’s, Baltimore’s, kc’s and San Fran’s of the world all of those team have or likely will have added big additions today or in a weeks time that likely widen the gap anymore.

Just running things back when the team was already not good enough and hoping for luck, internal development and depending on draft picks to be immediate contributors isn’t going to get it done. I’ll give them the entire off season of course as it’s very early but their mindset is too complacent and too celebratory for a team that has a long way to go

Staubacher

Reaction score
How?

You said the holes need filled in the draft and that simply isn't true.
I said that's what people think and you said no they don't need to be filled in the draft then you mentioned that they do.

I think there's a collective insanity going on right now. I'm getting a drink and forgetting about this s-storm of a franchise brother haha

Whyjerry

Reaction score
We are losing an irreplaceable amount of starters and quality backups. The fact that most of our guys were scooped up day 1 of FA should be telling enough.

We can’t sign big names because Daks contract is too large. At what point do we say this is an unsalvageable situation and we are not going to be a 12+ win team going forward? This feels like a descent into a valley
You can say it now.

Big_D

Reaction score
Sorry I just won't write off the season now because we lost a running back that had one 100 yard game in 2023, a mid-level center, and a backup defensive end.

The glaring holes are on the Oline, D line, LB and also RB. Besides the players lost, they have major issues in many areas. Stephens approach to filling them should be fun to watch.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Really only have to replace Pollard. Based on their level of play Brock Hoffman is the same guy as Biadasz. And if Sam Williams is the guy this team spent a second round pick on he can surely be DE 3 after Parsons and D-Law.
Yikes.