At What Point Can We Say The Window Has Closed?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Missing the playoffs in 2024 would signify the window has closed. It’s not going to be easy bouncing back after the playoff debacle and another tough schedule next season.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
I'm sorry but the window has been closed. It slammed shut after the packers bullied us.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Missing the playoffs in 2024 would signify the window has closed. It’s not going to be easy bouncing back after the playoff debacle and another tough schedule next season.
That would shake things up next off season. Starting at HC.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I get that. But the Cowboys will sign some free agents. Or make trades. It's not like they will do nothing.

Nothing unexpected happened today. The Cowboys aren't going to overpay. Ask Tyron. And I am very glad.
I get that they'll do something eventually, but are those all bottom tier free agents? You can only have so many JAG or slightly above JAG level starters. If the Cowboys are players in the 2nd/3rd waves of free agency I'll absolutely change my tune a bit. Let's see what happens, but I wont bow down to Lord Jerry's offseason strategy until I see some actual progress made.

I don't think the Cowboys should have been in on most of the guys signed today, but I also look at a Frankie Luvu who is a legit 3 down linebacker who signed for significantly less than top money at his position and do view it as a miss.

McMicah

Reaction score
And that was completely expected. Why are you so surprised? Literally everyone that has left was predictable.
Was it expected? Up until yesterday most pundits said we’d resign pollard and maybe Biadasz…

tomokawan

Reaction score
The problem is we are picking late in the draft, we have less picks due to the Gilmore/Cooks trades and we'll be doing little free agency. We'll have to draft well just to get back to where we were last year talent-wise much less actually get better.

If we're 'blowing it up', talk to Dak and see if he's open to a trade and trade Parsons as well. We're going to trot out another mediocre year and let our talented guys walk.
Why blow it up? That would not be good. You think this management can get us closer to a Superbowl by blowing up a 12-5 team??? SMH

McMicah

Reaction score
Really only have to replace Pollard. Based on their level of play Brock Hoffman is the same guy as Biadasz. And if Sam Williams is the guy this team spent a second round pick on he can surely be DE 3 after Parsons and D-Law.
I actually hope that Hoffman starts next year just so all the people that never reviewed his tape get the full fury of seeing truly awful O line play. The whole Hoffman take is a Mandela effect from the FO saying something optimistic about the guy (which they do with literally every player). Hoffman was truly awful

CWR

Reaction score
This season is looking like a tank-out. Take our lumps with Dak's cap hit, dump all our vets, dump McCarthy, and start the rebuild in 2025.
Just wait....Jerry doesn't believe in a "tank-out." Our decline will not be quick and inevitable. It will slowly drag out and waste much more time than it should.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I actually hope that Hoffman starts next year just so all the people that never reviewed his tape get the full fury of seeing truly awful O line play. The whole Hoffman take is a Mandela effect from the FO saying something optimistic about the guy (which they do with literally every player). Hoffman was truly awful
I agree about the Mandela effect about the o-line, and that extends to Biadasz. His play slid last year, big time. My take was simply that you can likely get 2023 Biadasz play out of Hoffman next year.

Of course you want better. But this isn't like losing Travis Frederick or Mark Stepnoski.

McMicah

Reaction score
Just wait....Jerry doesn't believe in a "tank-out." Our decline will not be quick and inevitable. It will slowly drag out and waste much more time than it should.
This is my issue. Honestly, in the salary cap era, the most efficient way to win would be to sell off 3 years of draft picks for future picks and then massively stack them for 3 years and build a cheap juggernaut team with coveted FAs. Jerry consistently does just enough to stay just above average

Reactions: CWR

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that they'll do something eventually, but are those all bottom tier free agents? You can only have so many JAG or slightly above JAG level starters. If the Cowboys are players in the 2nd/3rd waves of free agency I'll absolutely change my tune a bit.
They will be 2nd and 3rd level guys.
I also look at a Frankie Luvu who is a legit 3 down linebacker who signed for significantly less than top money at his position and do view it as a miss.
I wanted him also but he signed for twice what the Cowboys would have offered.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They will be 2nd and 3rd level guys.

I wanted him also but he signed for twice what the Cowboys would have offered.
Honestly when is the last time they even got a 2nd or 3rd tier free agent? They've resigned some guys I would consider 2nd tier, but recently we have gotten guys like James Washington, Dante Fowler (Decent pick up), Ryan Nall, Edoga (Decent depth), Ronald Jones, Brent Urban, Terrell Basham, Carlos Watkins. If you go back to 2021 Kearse & Hooker were pretty good pickups i guess. 22 & 23 were complete duds as far as free agency goes though.

I'm all for the grabbing some fliers on the value guys, but we really dont even patriciate in free agency for the next tiers either most years. I could be wrong but i get the sense it'll be a lot of nothing this year too. We shall see.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This season is looking like a tank-out. Take our lumps with Dak's cap hit, dump all our vets, dump McCarthy, and start the rebuild in 2025.
When is the last time this front office ever had to rebuild? 20 years ago? The thought of it is pretty scary. We fell into Romo and Dak accidentally, especially Romo. Both were meant to be backups. Haven't used a 1st round pick on a QB since Aikman.