At what point does Jerry start fining Zeke?

zerofill

Reaction score
2 years left on contract, he has no choices. The ball is not in Zeke's court. If this was the final year of his contract, then you start the no-show games... The whole thing is stupid.

If they want to give him a new deal that is their fault. He really has no choices, he sits out a season they still own the rights to him. I would have said listen dude, this year no, next year yes... Take it or leave it.

This isn't like burger king. If he doesn't get a deal, he is still going to play hard. Because it only hurts his next contract if he doesn't. This isn't like he is going to come in to flip burgers and give 20%.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What would the best franchises do?
Pay him. Belicheck pays his best players contrary to bs narratives. He never had a great rb in his prime or a great wr in his prime. He had a great tight end and paid him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach Brown made it seem as if Elliott was on his death bed. Would it not be inhumane to fine him at this stage? One ill-timed fine could push him closer towards the Light...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The FO has the right to fine him or not. As far as I know Jerry is not fining yet. Fines can be retroactive at some point, but I have not read anywhere that Jerry has begun fining Zeke $40,000 a day or any other amount. If Zoners have Information to the contrary, then share.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if the fines have already started or even if they are built into the contract

CWR

Reaction score
A daily fine could get Zeke's attention.
Yet, blokes, it would strain the already strained relations between Jerry, who feels betrayed, and Zeke who feels underappreciated, financially.

I believe Jerry, at some point, will either warn of fines or actually begin the financial sanctions on Zeke.
But, I believe, it would only take place after 2 weeks of Zeke's absence.

Eeek! $40,000 in fines per day plus a prorated sum of Zeke's signing bonus and other sanctions?

Fans, are fines a mistake for Zeke?
Or an effective tool on someone not abiding by a contract?
Chime in. Tea and biscuits for all as we discuss.

No, he held out after nearly being suspended. Id fine him from day one, maybe waiting until August 6th is more prudent though.

CWR

Reaction score
My father taught me well on managing quality people.

Over pay them and you’ll save time , money and clients or customers with minimum turnover. The cost of turnover can take its toll on a business and office costing more in the long run.

At the same token . Don’t waste time with others . Turn them loose at the first sign of dissenting attitude , lazy, needing constant prodding , poor attendance,etc.

So how would your father classify Zeke? He produces like very few, but he also has issues.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It's fairly obvious some folks here have never actually managed employees. If you did, they probably hated you and did as little as possible.

Sure, fine the heck out of him. Create animosity. If that compels him to show up, what kind of employee do you think you'll get? You'll get one who can't get out of town soon enough. He'll either create so much drama it forces a trade or it just distracts the team and it underachieves. You'll hate him more than ever, and the Cowboys won't win anything.

But yeah, "show him you mean business"...good luck with that. As opposed to, you know, negotiating and looking to resolve the matter amicably.

It is funny to me when people try to compare people that live normal lives and have normal jobs to pro athletes. So you think Zeke will come back and suck on purpose? The guy that is wanting to make 50-60 million dollars? How is Zeke gonna come back, suck... lets say he tries less and avg like 3 ypc, sits out of games because he is "INjured," and t=he does that for the next 2 years. Then who is going to sign him for that kind of deal?

You think there has never been an athlete that has held out and had a team play hardball with them? Like others have said... this is business. W
hat good is it to have a CBA and contracts if teams just let players do whatever they want with no repercussions???? The NFL doesnt want to be turned into the NBA, where players are taking over the league and doing any damn thing they want to do.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
It's fairly obvious some folks here have never actually managed employees. If you did, they probably hated you and did as little as possible.

Sure, fine the heck out of him. Create animosity. If that compels him to show up, what kind of employee do you think you'll get? You'll get one who can't get out of town soon enough. He'll either create so much drama it forces a trade or it just distracts the team and it underachieves. You'll hate him more than ever, and the Cowboys won't win anything.

But yeah, "show him you mean business"...good luck with that. As opposed to, you know, negotiating and looking to resolve the matter amicably.
Just going to point out a fact since you brought up “a real world workplace scenario”. In every job I’ve ever had, and I’ve had a lot of them in my lifetime.... If I didn’t show up for work for a week, I’d would have been fired.
It’s called “job abandonment”.

Last word is yours.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
I never kept em

I don’t keep employees who don’t show up to work to prepare for important projects.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There is no reason to fine Zeke at this point other than to make some fans feel better. If it carries into the regular season, depending on how talks are going (if they're going at all), then revisit the issue. Regardless, escalating the fight isn't likely to end well for Zeke or the Cowboys (or us, the fans).

The best case scenario is they find some middle ground that both parties can live with for the immediate future.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
A daily fine could get Zeke's attention.
Yet, blokes, it would strain the already strained relations between Jerry, who feels betrayed, and Zeke who feels underappreciated, financially.

I believe Jerry, at some point, will either warn of fines or actually begin the financial sanctions on Zeke.
But, I believe, it would only take place after 2 weeks of Zeke's absence.

Eeek! $40,000 in fines per day plus a prorated sum of Zeke's signing bonus and other sanctions?

Fans, are fines a mistake for Zeke?
Or an effective tool on someone not abiding by a contract?
Chime in. Tea and biscuits for all as we discuss.

Pay Zeke.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry isn't a disciplinarian, that's something that has well been proven through the years. If I had to venture a good guess when EE is fined, it will be when the odds say he'll feel the most pressure to rejoin the team. By August 6'th is when he'll stand far too much to lose by continuing his foolhardy stance. I'm hopeful that he'll realize he'd be cutting his own throat to wait any longer. At that point, it will be well past time to stop listening to his agent.

Last edited:

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
I believe under the rules he’s fined regardless when he doesn’t show. That goes for any players

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So how would your father classify Zeke? He produces like very few, but he also has issues.
Talent trumps all. If the production justifies the baggage you tolerate. Unless of course the conduct is illegal . And their incriminated.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Talent trumps all. If the production justifies the baggage you tolerate. Unless of course the conduct is illegal . And their incriminated.
yes it does.The more talented you are, the more you get away with. CRazy how much things have changed in the past 20 years. Charles Hayley did stuff that would be getting hims suspended often. IM sure pissing on the GMs car wouldnt go over to well today.