At what point does Jerry start fining Zeke?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah, because he’s too smart to pay a RB “in his prime”. The most expendable position in football.
I think if we give him a contract that basically only extends him 3 years then we will be safe. It’s all about the guaranteed money and signing bonus. We were gonna sign him next year anyways. SJ wants him. I don’t like the off field stuff and I bet they want a provision in his contract for that and the agent is fighting it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Start now. Show Zeke you mean business. It’s part of the CBA for a reason.

This is an important traIning camp with our new OC.
You don’t treat your players like this. These are young men. These are teammates. Jerry already isolated himself from these guys when the whole issue the young players had with him a few years ago. He doesn’t want to do that again. The CBA is terrible and outdated.

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
Impose the fines and give them back in the contract. Just adds more negotiating leverage. In terms of the contract he absolutely should not have high guaranteed money. He's a suspension waiting to happen so they should build incentives in for not getting suspended.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ya know I am thinking maybe we should give Elliot a choice.

1 - Trade and get gordo. He knows he ain’t getting gurly money so sign him to a 3 year deal. He will run way above average behind this O-Line.

2 - Let Elliot sit for the year and trade him before the draft and get your pick back and maybe more.

3 - You have signed a RB for a few million a year cheaper than you had planed and can throw that money at Cooper.

4 - I am telling Elliot’s agent exactly that. You want to be the highest paid RB then we will sign you to a slightly higher deal than gurly and make it happen. There is the deal take it or you sit this year and are traded after the season. We want you to be on the team but can’t afford what you want.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Impose the fines and give them back in the contract. Just adds more negotiating leverage. In terms of the contract he absolutely should not have high guaranteed money. He's a suspension waiting to happen so they should build incentives in for not getting suspended.
**** that, the ONLY penciled in incentives/guaranteed money on any FORCED contract should be G.D. PRODUCTION tiered.

BigD_95

Reaction score
A daily fine could get Zeke's attention.
Yet, blokes, it would strain the already strained relations between Jerry, who feels betrayed, and Zeke who feels underappreciated, financially.

I believe Jerry, at some point, will either warn of fines or actually begin the financial sanctions on Zeke.
But, I believe, it would only take place after 2 weeks of Zeke's absence.

Eeek! $40,000 in fines per day plus a prorated sum of Zeke's signing bonus and other sanctions?

Fans, are fines a mistake for Zeke?
Or an effective tool on someone not abiding by a contract?
Chime in. Tea and biscuits for all as we discuss.

If he doesn’t show up by the 6th start the fines

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He's paid fines, or they're just tallying on a spreadsheet somewhere?

They don’t send bill collectors to the player’s house, take take it out of the next game check. So if he gets traded, he’ll never have to pay it because they can’t ask Houston to forward them his gamechecks. That’s also why it’s easy to waive them if they come to a contract agreement.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
They don’t send bill collectors to the player’s house, take take it out of the next game check. So if he gets traded, he’ll never have to pay it because they can’t ask Houston to forward them his gamechecks. That’s also why it’s easy to wave them if they come to a contract agreement.
And after they come to an agreement chances are they'll forgive the fines. I doubt Zeke pays anything.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
You don’t treat your players like this. These are young men. These are teammates. Jerry already isolated himself from these guys when the whole issue the young players had with him a few years ago. He doesn’t want to do that again. The CBA is terrible and outdated.

Each player should be treated individually based on a number of factors including talent, leadership, work ethic, and off-the-field behavior. Jerry supported and defended Zeke to the best of his ability when he needed it most during Zeke’s suspension fight with Goodell. Apparently that didn’t earn much goodwill since Zeke decided to hold out anyway with 2 full years remaining on his contract.

If I was Jerry I would play hardball with Zeke. It is out of character for Jerry to do that but I think Zeke has earned that approach. It’s simply business at this point. Jerry should spend that money on more deserving players like Dak, Cooper, Byron, and Jaylon.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
There is no reason to fine Zeke at this point other than to make some fans feel better. If it carries into the regular season, depending on how talks are going (if they're going at all), then revisit the issue. Regardless, escalating the fight isn't likely to end well for Zeke or the Cowboys (or us, the fans).

The best case scenario is they find some middle ground that both parties can live with for the immediate future.

Have you ever had a job where you were allowed to refuse to go to work, and your employer said "That's OK Jake, whatever you want to do is OK with us and we promise there will be no repercussions! Now what can we do that would make you happy? You name it and you've got it, because we don't want to escalate this issue!"

I spent all my life working in the real world and I've never had a job like that, and never heard of one.
But if working for Jerry Jones is like that, maybe that's why we haven't been back to the Super Bowl in 20 some years.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I know what kraft and Belichick would do. And Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Daily fines. A blackout on team comments on the holdout.
And "we'll talk to him when his ash is in camp."

You're right about Kraft and Belichick, but Tomlin would have said that Zeke had the team's permission to miss camp to deal with an undisclosed injury and everything is A-OK.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I remember a time, not so long ago, when many people on this board had a much different view of players holding out while under contract.

Thomas had been seeking a new contract as he enters the final year of a four-year, $40 million extension he signed in 2014. He previously asked the team to either sign him to an extension or trade him to another team.

The Dallas Cowboys offered a second-round pick for Thomas within the last week, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported, but the Seahawks stood pat.

It was awful how ET refused to "honor his contract" and missed all of camp. Then when he did come back he got hurt, flipped off his team, and missed the rest of the season. Selfish!

ET phone home!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I remember a time, not so long ago, when many people on this board had a much different view of players holding out while under contract.

Thomas had been seeking a new contract as he enters the final year of a four-year, $40 million extension he signed in 2014. He previously asked the team to either sign him to an extension or trade him to another team.

The Dallas Cowboys offered a second-round pick for Thomas within the last week, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported, but the Seahawks stood pat.

It was awful how ET refused to "honor his contract" and missed all of camp. Then when he did come back he got hurt, flipped off his team, and missed the rest of the season. Selfish!

ET phone home!
It only matters how it impacts Me Me Me. As long as he was holding out with the Seahawks and was going to help the Cowboys everything is fine. lol

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know what kraft and Belichick would do. And Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Daily fines. A blackout on team comments on the holdout.
And "we'll talk to him when his ash is in camp."
Belichick would not allow himself to get in this situation for a couple of reasons. One, he would not allow the perception of a player getting over on him to the rest of his team and two, he keeps distractions to a minimum unlike Tomlin last year with Bell.

He would anticipate this as he did with Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins and probably Brandin Cooks and I think that's why he didn't even approach tagging Flowers. In Belichick's world, the season has begun and all of this other stuff should have already been settled.

Fines are a waste of time and the agents and players know it. L'il Johnny knows you're really not going to make him go to bed without his dinner.

This situation does not have as much to do with what Gurley got or Gordon holding out as much as what happened with Lawrence followed by the rumors of Prescott getting more than Wentz and Cooper waiting for Thomas and Jones to sign. It's simple, Elliott feels he is better than all 3 of those players at his position and wants to get his while the getting is good and there is cap space available.

I really do think that Lawrence contract is the domino on all of this. And back to Belichick, which is why you will not see him opening the checkbook up. It's not about what happens on other teams, it's only about what happens on his.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Ya know I am thinking maybe we should give Elliot a choice.

1 - Trade and get gordo. He knows he ain’t getting gurly money so sign him to a 3 year deal. He will run way above average behind this O-Line.

2 - Let Elliot sit for the year and trade him before the draft and get your pick back and maybe more.

3 - You have signed a RB for a few million a year cheaper than you had planed and can throw that money at Cooper.

4 - I am telling Elliot’s agent exactly that. You want to be the highest paid RB then we will sign you to a slightly higher deal than gurly and make it happen. There is the deal take it or you sit this year and are traded after the season. We want you to be on the team but can’t afford what you want.

5. Pay him. He is an elite RB. They make a lot of $$$.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
No, instead let this man child screw us and our salary cap and our future.
2 years from now, Zeke might be a trivia question.

Zeke is not as great as he thinks!

Aww, another person doesn't understand the salary cap. How cute!