At what point does QB confidence become the real problem?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you catch the look on Prescott's face after that pick 6 got the WFT back into the game? He looked shell shocked.

He has been off ever since he came back from the calf and was at his worst yet yesterday.

Add to this his comment last week about the offense "we're coming" and he puts that performance out there as proof of that? Talk about all sizzle and no steak. I think the owner had something to do with him saying that.

Now, the national media is on him as the problem on the offense but it isn't that simple, it is multiple problems including the OC, OL and mistakes by the players.

However, that does not stop the possible erosion of self-confidence that could already be happening to him. It is not just arm talent that separates the winners from the also rans, confidence is key.

This isn't about Dak's contract or whether you like him or don't, it is about what should they do to restore that confidence he had because he has had that and has proven that he can play at a high level, a top 5 level. He was even being mentioned a s MVP candidate just weeks ago.

If this team is to make any noise in the playoffs, they cannot have QB play like yesterday and they have to get this fixed before it does become a real confidence issue, if it hasn't already become one. If it has, they have to fix that sooner than later.

And is it just me but in crunch time, do you like Kellen Moore's body language and his sideline demeanor? He has been looking more confused as this progresses and I wonder if the QB is not the only one that needs a run game?

What's your plan for keeping or restoring his confidence level?

bigE79

Reaction score
Did you catch the look on Prescott's face after that pick 6 got the WFT back into the game? He looked shell shocked.

He has been off ever since he came back from the calf and was at his worst yet yesterday.

Add to this his comment last week about the offense "we're coming" and he puts that performance out there as proof of that? Talk about all sizzle and no steak. I think the owner had something to do with him saying that.

Now, the national media is on him as the problem on the offense but it isn't that simple, it is multiple problems including the OC, OL and mistakes by the players.

However, that does not stop the possible erosion of self-confidence that could already be happening to him. It is not just arm talent that separates the winners from the also rans, confidence is key.

This isn't about Dak's contract or whether you like him or don't, it is about what should they do to restore that confidence he had because he has had that and has proven that he can play at a high level, a top 5 level. He was even being mentioned a s MVP candidate just weeks ago.

If this team is to make any noise in the playoffs, they cannot have QB play like yesterday and they have to get this fixed before it does become a real confidence issue, if it hasn't already become one. If it has, they have to fix that sooner than later.

And is it just me but in crunch time, do you like Kellen Moore's body language and his sideline demeanor? He has been looking more confused as this progresses and I wonder if the QB is not the only one that needs a run game?

Be careful or you'll be labeled a hater.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Shouldn't our "QB guru" head coach be helping him through this? I realize it's been going on for 4 years now when the competition gets tougher but I think McCarthy was supposed to fix this.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The only way to restore confidence is with success.

It would be disturbing to see his confidence dissolve so easily, at this point in his career. We saw something similar after the infamous Chaz Green game.

It's always easier to temper overconfidence than to build up a lack of confidence.

Ken

Reaction score
It has to be injury. He has NEVER been this bad over a prolonged stretch. Last 6 games:

63% completion, 8 tds, 6 ints. 82.8 qb rating.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Put Dak on the stretch machine like Gomez Adams used to lay on when his body was out of whack. jk

If he really has a calf problem, the dr's need to address it. If it is a mechanics problem, the coaches need to address it and have Dak work on it. You could see he was throwing off of his back foot on many of the throws. I was at a bar and many of the patrons made the same statement of him trying to throw off of his back foot, (not that a bunch of half drunk fans know anything but just sayin). These ill advised throws by Dak are unlike him if you compare the last 6 games to the first 7.

If it is injury related or confidence related, that's what the coaches are being paid to notice, just like a gametime adjustment. I would call this a post-game adjustment. :)

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve stated it for a couple of weeks now but his feet are a mess right now. His mechanics look awful. That int in the first half was proof. That ball sailed on him because his feet weren’t set. Somehow it’s either residual stuff from the ankle, or the calf is still torn. He’s afraid to run, but he ran one down the sideline yesterday and looked good, and of course the game sealing first down.

Fix the bottom half and the brain will follow.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't believe it has anything to do with confidence. You can clearly see he's limited physically when he's running.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's in his own head, IMO. But one thing that may be a good sign that he'll get past the funk is his willingness to run a bit more yesterday. Roll outs, scrambles, and running for a first down (He seemed quicker to slide than he was before the injury, I might add.) a bit more than he had been. Unfortunately one of those roll outs was where he threw the pick 6, but that looked like a mechanical issue, with bad footwork. I think he'll get back to early season form, I just hope it happens soon.

JBS

Reaction score
Good thread. I rag on you for bad threads, I’ll give you credit when you start good ones. Daks confidence is definitely shot right now. As you pointed out, you could see it on his face. This is a big problem right now. Hopefully Dak and the coaches collectively can figure this out.

Doomsday77

Reaction score

I thought Kellen did a "pretty ok" job of improv with using #88 to run the ball. Clearly Zeke is struggling with the knee but I'm not concerned since they were able to stick #32 in there. On a side note I thought he did pretty well seeing his first meaningful action. Our OC will find a way to get Dak going and his 'body language' you pointed out was most likely from seeing his highly touted QB throwing to the wrong guys! NFC East champs in the house!

JBS

Reaction score
I don't believe it has anything to do with confidence. You can clearly see he's limited physically when he's running.

that’s not the problem. He was limited in running before the calf injury. That’s from snapping his leg in 2 last season. He still played great to start this season. The problem is a combination of things , and confidence is becoming one of them, as the OP pointed out.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I see it and I'm a homer....he's going through something....MM needs to have a long film session and heart to heart.....that said, I started a similar thread earlier and it was sent to the overtime zone, because they'res too many like this.....let's see if this one suffers the same fate.....it will be interesting it it doesn't.
This one was started by a mod. :grin:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no idea, Coach. I will say I think player mistakes and dropped passes seems to be a league wide phenomenon. The NFL has reduced spring training, preseason and season practices to a point of being ridiculous. When I was a kid, I made that catch the WFT player missed 9 times out of 10. He should have made that catch.

Dak's confidence may be solely injury related. And, we as fans complained about the dull plays called by Garrett's teams and now the calls seem to be far too cutesy. I am still hopeful this all gets resolved before the playoffs

FVSTONE

Reaction score

The blank look on Dak's face when things go bad seems to be a common occurrence. Personally, I'm starting to wonder if he's loaded or maybe slamming down a few before each game. I know I'm going to catch a lot of crap for this post, but something is seriously wrong with his head. He's not pre-reading defensive schemes that's leading to a lot of bad passes being thrown and when a receiver is open he's been way off the mark. A lot of posters have blamed the O-Line for Dak's recent play, but the "O" side of the ball has been pretty much health and he's still not getting it done. It's time for MM to bench this cat for a couple of games to see if that helps, if not then the 85 BEARS that showed up yesterday will be asked to carry the load and I'm not sure they can get it done against the better teams in the league...............

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It has to be injury. He has NEVER been this bad over a prolonged stretch. Last 6 games:

63% completion, 8 tds, 6 ints. 82.8 qb rating.
Neither has the rushing game.

Dak desperately NEEDS a dominate run game to look good just like he has needed his entire career.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be careful or you'll be labeled a hater.
I was the same way with Romo when all of that nonsense was going on. Anyone that watched him knew he was trying to do too much, make too much out of every play.

There was an interview with the new 3 Amigos, WR's, on the pregame and they mentioned how they liked the big plays going for it down the field but is that the best play calling with a struggling QB? Those intermediate throws are getting him in trouble and maybe he's trying to make too many of them.

The 3 Amigos are the new Triplets of the Cowboys. Lawrence, Gregory and Parsons are Ghidrah, so don't get them confused. And we know how much Booger loves the downfield passing game, just like his mentor Crazy Al. But the Cowboys have good receiving backs and TE's, a hell of a lot better as receivers than blockers, why not get them more involved in the shorter passing game, ala West Coast Offense that McC is familiar with and has run successfully.

BTW, we saw the first real CeeDee Lamb play from his college days when he broke those tackles. Give him some more of those plays. Hell, they've been using Parsons as a Swiss Army knife on the D side, why not Lamb on the O side?

Use the talent around the QB to help him, help lift him and his confidence. The Cowboys have good weapons, as good as the NFL has. They can be short range as well as intermediate and long-range ones. Just get the weapons in space.