Attendance down 1000 a day in Oxnard

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It probably gets boring to people in California.

.....but not when the Cowboys were at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Great Cowboy fans there, fantastic.

Since San Antonio has no NFL team, they have definitely adopted the Cowboys, all due respect to Texan fans but you know it's true. Always has been, always will.

Training camp was the closest the city would get to having an NFL team there,with the exception of half a season of Saints football after Katrina. By the way, I went to all three home games played in San Antonio.

Anyway, Cowboy fans in San Antonio would treat Cowboy practice sessions like a home game. Jerry must have fed into it because he charged $10 and even had piped in music, contests, and Rowdy going around with a T-shirt gun. Campo did what he was told but Parcells came in and changed everything. There was no festive atmosphere. No more music. No more Rowdy. Just screaming coaches and a fast pace. Parcell's first year was the last year I believe they had training camp in San Antonio.

That was probably a good thing for the team. If you asked the coaches they would probably rather have no spectators at all, it must be at least some of a distraction.
It was foolish to leave San Antonio for training camp. Jerry needs to bring it back. South Texas is old Tom Landry land, and many South Texas Cowboys die hards (including all from Mexico) are dying for Jerry to bring it back. Californians are proving they can't be trusted.

Bring training camp back to San Antonio, Jerry!

JustChip

Reaction score
I’d say there isn’t much “star power” so to speak on the roster and that could be why the attendance was down.

Also I’d like to point out it’s been a very hot summer this year, and it could’ve also had an impact on attendance. This is the 2nd year I haven’t gone. I have my reason as I’m not sure we are set at the QB and other skill positions which usually brings in the crowds IMO. It’s very strange I feel meh about this team outside of Zeke and the defense. Maybe some share that feeling and didn’t feel like taking days off of work. Who knows. I have no proof or data to back that up just expressing my thought process.

But it’s been an exceptionally hot summer this year, I don’t remember it being this hot the last couple of years.

Maybe the fires have had an impact? I would imagine it's pretty hard to get excited about a football practice when dealing with the life and death stress of the fires. I know they're not threatening Oxnard, but is that only where the fans come from?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was foolish to leave San Antonio for training camp. Jerry needs to bring it back. South Texas is old Tom Landry land, and many South Texas Cowboys die hards (including all from Mexico) are dying for Jerry to bring it back. Californians are proving they can't be trusted.

Bring training camp back to San Antonio, Jerry!

Jerry tried to keep it in SA.
Then one year they went to set up TC there, and SA told them there was a conflict of schedule. The SA Dome was already booked. And the 1st week or so they could not have access to it. It was some big yearly event and was in SA.

I can't remember if they had to go somewhere else, or if they had part of the year outside in some high school field, and finished in the dome. But after that Jerry said no more SA.

Now was it the team that failed to get this set up earlier. But it seemed someone in SA knew the Cowboys were coming there, but booked this huge convention anyway. Not sure, or maybe both.

But Jerry never went back here. The following year is when they went to CA I believe.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Any thoughts.......was it the autograph hounds taking a break with no Dez, Romo or Witten???

1534461528-NS_cowcamp_0728spo_JL_15.jpg

Some days people have to go to work.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry tried to keep it in SA.
Then one year they went to set up TC there, and SA told them there was a conflict of schedule. The SA Dome was already booked. And the 1st week or so they could not have access to it. It was some big yearly event and was in SA.

I can't remember if they had to go somewhere else, or if they had part of the year outside in some high school field, and finished in the dome. But after that Jerry said no more SA.

Now was it the team that failed to get this set up earlier. But it seemed someone in SA knew the Cowboys were coming there, but booked this huge convention anyway. Not sure, or maybe both.

But Jerry never went back here. The following year is when they went to CA I believe.
All true. I remember reading about that. It could/should have been handled much better. The City of San Antonio dropped the ball big time with that screw up. I'm sure they have been regretting it ever since. Still, you can't beat the crowds in San Antonio that came from all of the State of Texas and Mexico. The location is perfect for the masses, plus other venues like the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Sea World, Six Flags at Fiesta Texas, all of the pristine golf courses, etc make San Antonio an ideal Dallas Cowboys training camp location. Jerry simply left to Cali to attract more of the West Coast fans and of course because of the much cooler weather, but we now see the numbers drastically reducing down by up to 30%. Not good. Those numbers would never drop like that in San Antonio.

blueblood70

Reaction score
good maybe its time to utilize our billion dollar stadium and ridiculously expensive Star.. let our dang fans see our own team during the TC and Off season..Id like way more practices held at the actual stadium..maybe more time there could actually create some home field comfort..i think its time to stop leaving for marketing and babying the players with beaches and cool weather.. play in what you practice in.. bring the boys home!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I really don't care if fewer people showed up. Bandwagon fans do not impress me. We will show up if you win but screw you if you are not. Myself I'm a Cowboys fan 100% in, not fence sitting, no wavering. Win, lose or draw I'm a Cowboys fan. Does not mean I agree with every move they make but what it does mean I will always support my team

lostar2009

Reaction score
Camp is free from my understanding. But in reality it's too much money for the average fan to get to CA. Especially with a team that's not winning.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its a thing jerry wants to try and keep the California fans interested but now they have the rams and chargers and both teams are pretty good lots of fans don't trust that this coaching staff and team will do much they haven't won a divisional playoff game in over twenty years winning in the playoffs would change a lot of this

Romonater

Reaction score
Big names like Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Dez Bryant, Demarcus Ware are all gone.

this is an unproven team, and there's a lot of apprehension and uncertainty with these youngsters.

I get it

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big names like Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Dez Bryant, Demarcus Ware are all gone.

this is an unproven team, and there's a lot of apprehension and uncertainty with these youngsters.

I get it

I have more apprehension and uncertainty with the top 3 coaches than I do with the players. :muttley:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Maybe the fires have had an impact? I would imagine it's pretty hard to get excited about a football practice when dealing with the life and death stress of the fires. I know they're not threatening Oxnard, but is that only where the fans come from?

The fires are down south, but they’re under control now I’m not sure that played a huge part in it. In years past there was a pretty big buzz about training camp. This year I didn’t get that sense at all.

I know someone mentioned the 2 other teams training camps, but honestly I have zero idea where they’re even practicing that’s how little buzz they’ve generated. I truly think the heat wave we’ve been in the last month played a very large role in the attendance this year. It’s been exceptionally hot this year.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
No not you, I was referring to the other guy/gal. You’ve always been one of the posters I enjoy.

If you want to address me you can do it directly without your passive aggressive comments. I’ve been on this board since 2004 buddy. We’ve exchanged some great commentary, so you got something to say do it directly.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
LA Chargers and LA Rams might have something to do with it.

I was just mentioning this in another post I’m not so sure it’s having much impact on it. Most people do not even know where they are practicing. I live in a pretty football crazed town with CIF stuff, and tons of sports bars and I have yet to hear anyone talk about going to those camps to see those teams.

I’m pretty sure our heat wave is playing the biggest part in all of it. The beaches, Lakes are over crowded right now and the 40 heading to Lake Havasu and the 15 heading to Vegas have been extremely packed for travel. It’s been pretty miserable here this year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I have to think it might be the new LA teams siphoning locals
Almost certainly.

UC Irvine and Costa Mesa are both, what, 2.5 hours from Oxnard? To a casual fan, the Cowboys might be the least interesting team of the 3. I've gone to Bills camp because it's local, but if almost anyone else was in town, I'd go there lol.