Auburn wins

Rogah

Reaction score
Of course there will be complaints, but it is still better than the current system. Okie State has no right to complain after losing to a bad WVU this season. That is not a quality loss.
True, but According to Sagarin's ratings they had a tougher schedule than almighty Alabama - and unlike Alabama they actually have a victory over a team currently ranked in the top 10. If there was a 4 team playoff this year, do you think it's fair a non-conference winner with the same record and easier schedule goes over a team that will win their conference with a tougher schedule?

Rogah

Reaction score
I don't agree. Ohio State is the most consistent team in the country. 24-0 and counting. If that's not consistent, then I don't know what is.
I can't help but have a good laugh everytime I see the "24 in a row" argument. The fact that people have to actually take something that happened last year and use it to support who should go to the Championship game this year really hurts their argument more than helps it.
However, if it did happen, it would be just like in 2009 when all the SEC happy fans gave Utah no chance to beat Alabama, simply because Bama was in the SEC. Same situation all over again IMO.
Actually it would be more like Northern Illinois, another team that has won 24 regular season games in a row by playing in a 2nd rate conference with a cupcake schedule. No one gave them a chance to beat FSU in the Orange Bowl last year - and it turned out everyone was right.

Rogah

Reaction score
You play who is on the schedule. The only close game that they have played this year is Michigan, in the Big House. That's not an easy game in Nov/Dec and it's a huge rivalry game for OSU. Other then that, they have dominated the rest of their schedule.
Bullcrap. They most certainly did not dominate Northwestern. They barely hung on to win that game against an atrocious Northwestern team that finished 1-7 in conference. Northwestern led for most of the game and it really was only a 4 point Ohio State victory until a fluke on the final play of the game resulted in a defensive touchdown.

joseephuss

Reaction score
True, but According to Sagarin's ratings they had a tougher schedule than almighty Alabama - and unlike Alabama they actually have a victory over a team currently ranked in the top 10. If there was a 4 team playoff this year, do you think it's fair a non-conference winner with the same record and easier schedule goes over a team that will win their conference with a tougher schedule?

Fair doesn't enter into the equation. It never has and never will. It comes down to who is judged to be the better team. A lot of that is subjective, but that is how it works. People still think Alabama is better than Oklahoma St. People still think Alabama is better than Ohio State although not enough to jump them in the final polls assuming tOSU wins the Big 10.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Fair doesn't enter into the equation. It never has and never will. It comes down to who is judged to be the better team. A lot of that is subjective, but that is how it works. People still think Alabama is better than Oklahoma St. People still think Alabama is better than Ohio State although not enough to jump them in the final polls assuming tOSU wins the Big 10.

Which is the entire point of the playoffs.
Remove subjectivity as much as possible.
And to do that you need more than 4 teams.

College football is a great game that should be won on the field not in a court of public opinion.

If you get 8 or 12 teams you cover the top teams at least.
But the 5th or 6th best team int he country and ABSOLUFRICKENLUTLY knock off the current top ranked team many weeks.
So those teams certainly have every right to want a shot at the title.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I can't help but have a good laugh everytime I see the "24 in a row" argument. The fact that people have to actually take something that happened last year and use it to support who should go to the Championship game this year really hurts their argument more than helps it.

I think you are kidding yourself. You can't ignore it and voters won't be able to ignore it. The truth of the matter is that they could be unbeaten just this season and still have enough justification to go to the NCG over Auburn but you put that together with last year and the voting will only be stronger in favor of Ohio State.

Actually it would be more like Northern Illinois, another team that has won 24 regular season games in a row by playing in a 2nd rate conference with a cupcake schedule. No one gave them a chance to beat FSU in the Orange Bowl last year - and it turned out everyone was right.

Right, because the Big 10 is a second rate conference. This is weak sauce. Hey I get it, you don't like Ohio State. Sucks that they are probably going to play for the National Championship again but it's going to happen. I guess you don't have to watch.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bullcrap. They most certainly did not dominate Northwestern. They barely hung on to win that game against an atrocious Northwestern team that finished 1-7 in conference. Northwestern led for most of the game and it really was only a 4 point Ohio State victory until a fluke on the final play of the game resulted in a defensive touchdown.

They beat them by 10 points. They scored 20 on them in the 4th quarter. You can say whatever you want but the truth is, Ohio State beat them going away and even without the late defensive TD, they still would have won. Ohio State, if they win out, is going to play for the National Championship. Sorry for your luck.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think you are kidding yourself. You can't ignore it and voters won't be able to ignore it. The truth of the matter is that they could be unbeaten just this season and still have enough justification to go to the NCG over Auburn but you put that together with last year and the voting will only be stronger in favor of Ohio State.

Right, because the Big 10 is a second rate conference. This is weak sauce. Hey I get it, you don't like Ohio State. Sucks that they are probably going to play for the National Championship again but it's going to happen. I guess you don't have to watch.

It is no longer about conference A versus Conference B.
The mega-conferences outside the 10 team Big 12... don't play everyone.
So you can play in a solid conference but avoid the top teams int he other division.

Playing dregs is playing dregs.

And your characterization that OSU won easily all year is just false.
Northwestern was beating them entering the 4th quarter.
Iowa was even entering the 4th quarter.
Michigan had a 2 point attempt to win the game.

That's a lot of close games for a Charmin soft schedule of teams with 3 plus losses.

It would shock me exactly zero if MSU beats them.

burmafrd

Reaction score
They beat them by 10 points. They scored 20 on them in the 4th quarter. You can say whatever you want but the truth is, Ohio State beat them going away and even without the late defensive TD, they still would have won. Ohio State, if they win out, is going to play for the National Championship. Sorry for your luck.

OSU homers are like all homers everywhere. Reality is not something they are familiar with.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is no longer about conference A versus Conference B.
The mega-conferences outside the 10 team Big 12... don't play everyone.
So you can play in a solid conference but avoid the top teams int he other division.

Playing dregs is playing dregs.

And your characterization that OSU won easily all year is just false.
Northwestern was beating them entering the 4th quarter.
Iowa was even entering the 4th quarter.
Michigan had a 2 point attempt to win the game.

That's a lot of close games for a Charmin soft schedule of teams with 3 plus losses.

It would shock me exactly zero if MSU beats them.

I never said they beat everybody easily. You said that. I said they really only had one close game and that's true. Everybody else, they beat by 10 points or more.

Michigan State is a very good team and if they beat Ohio State, I would not be shocked either. However, Auburn has more to worry about in this regard then does Ohio State IMO. That's a team that truly should have 3 loses right now but instead, you have fans who are trying to argue that they are more deserving then Ohio State. Nope, that's not the case. I hate Ohio State but they deserve to play for a National Championship if they win out. That's just how it's going to be IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OSU homers are like all homers everywhere. Reality is not something they are familiar with.

Fortunately for them, it helps a great deal to be unbeaten.

Homers who are just homers because it's in the DNA, well, those folks there is not much hope for. That must suck.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I never said they beat everybody easily. You said that. I said they really only had one close game and that's true. Everybody else, they beat by 10 points or more.

Michigan State is a very good team and if they beat Ohio State, I would not be shocked either. However, Auburn has more to worry about in this regard then does Ohio State IMO. That's a team that truly should have 3 loses right now but instead, you have fans who are trying to argue that they are more deserving then Ohio State. Nope, that's not the case. I hate Ohio State but they deserve to play for a National Championship if they win out. That's just how it's going to be IMO.

ABQCOWBOY said:
You play who is on the schedule. The only close game that they have played this year is Michigan, in the Big House. That's not an easy game in Nov/Dec and it's a huge rivalry game for OSU. Other then that, they have dominated the rest of their schedule.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Yeah, your right, I did say that. My apologies, a more accurate statement would have been that they really only played one close game.

I'm sorry for that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I think Auburn loses to Missou.
I think OSU holds off MSU in a close game and then they and FSU play in the NCG.
I think mostly that it sucks we don't have the 4 team playoff this year and 8 or more on the horizon so could stop thinking and just enjoy football.

No one is arguing the Super Bowl teams didn't earn their Lombardi's.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Fortunately for them, it helps a great deal to be unbeaten.

Homers who are just homers because it's in the DNA, well, those folks there is not much hope for. That must suck.

I guess you would know, wouldn't you?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Auburn loses to Missou.
I think OSU holds off MSU in a close game and then they and FSU play in the NCG.
I think mostly that it sucks we don't have the 4 team playoff this year and 8 or more on the horizon so could stop thinking and just enjoy football.

No one is arguing the Super Bowl teams didn't earn their Lombardi's.

I have to say, I pretty much agree with this. At the beginning of the Season, I said that I thought Oregon and OSU might be a good bet for the NC. Oregon hasn't gotten it done but OSU, I think they will go.

I didn't think that the SEC was as strong as it has been in recent history and that they would knock each other off and that would open the door. I don't believe OSU is the best team in the country but I thought their schedule and the power of the Big 10 would help them a lot.

Rogah

Reaction score
I think you are kidding yourself. You can't ignore it and voters won't be able to ignore it.
Ya, we can. And you know why? Because they didn't play a bowl game and had a sad sack schedule just like this year. So the only one kidding themselves is someone who thinks OSU win streak is something to beat their chest about.
Right, because the Big 10 is a second rate conference. This is weak sauce.
Sorry but it's true. Not perennially 2nd rate, but this year in football they are. Powerhouses Michigan and Penn State are a joke. WIsconsin is having an off year by their standards. Northwestern is pathetic.
Hey I get it, you don't like Ohio State. Sucks that they are probably going to play for the National Championship again but it's going to happen. I guess you don't have to watch.
No, I'll enjoy watching them give up 50+ to FSU. And I'm actually hoping OSU wins this weekend because I don't want the SEC to win it again. I'm just saying anyone who knows a single thing about football knows that Auburn is better than OSU, and FSU is praying for OSU to win and advance. They'd rather face the Buckeyes instead of Auburn.

Rogah

Reaction score
You said they dominated their entire schedule (besides Michigan). All I did was point out how wrong you are. No need to get pissy just because I called out your inaccurate statement.

Fact is the sad sack 1-7 in conference Northwestern Wildcats gave OSU quite a run for their money, a game which OSU barely held on to win. Sorry, but that's not "dominating" by OSU.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ya, we can. And you know why? Because they didn't play a bowl game and had a sad sack schedule just like this year. So the only one kidding themselves is someone who thinks OSU win streak is something to beat their chest about.

Was listening to ESPN on the way into work today. Basically, what was said was that there is no way Auburn can jump Ohio State if Ohio State wins out. Apparently I'm not alone in this whole kidding myself club.

Sorry but it's true. Not perennially 2nd rate, but this year in football they are. Powerhouses Michigan and Penn State are a joke. WIsconsin is having an off year by their standards. Northwestern is pathetic

Actually, according to power rankings for the respective D1A Conferences, the Big 10 is either 3rd or 4th, depending on each individual sight. That's a far cry from Second Rate, as you say but it's your story, you tell it. Just understand that it's not what everybody else agrees with.

No, I'll enjoy watching them give up 50+ to FSU. And I'm actually hoping OSU wins this weekend because I don't want the SEC to win it again. I'm just saying anyone who knows a single thing about football knows that Auburn is better than OSU, and FSU is praying for OSU to win and advance. They'd rather face the Buckeyes instead of Auburn.

Anybody who knows a single thing about football also knows that the Big 10 is not second rate. Kinda put you in a dilemma. No matter, Ohio State, if they win out, is going to the NCG. Nothing you can do about it.