AUDIO: Irvin on Mike and Mike - DB disses Big Bill

superpunk

Reaction score
DLCassidy;1119250 said:
No, he doesn't. He goes in motion and then stops to block. But it's a good opportunity to bash Bledsoe so who cares if it's not true?

You know I'm with you - but if Drew really did say that right in front of TO, TO knew he wasn't getting the ball, so maybe he didn't run his route. If Irvin said it, I have a good idea where he's getting his info.

Or he is just full of it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
goshan;1119078 said:
Did you guys just hear?

Irvin says that on the sideline before the Glenn redzone Int, Bledsoe and the coaches were discussing the play call. The coaches wanted to throw the fade to TO but Bledsoe said he wanted to throw the Quick Out (Oscar) to Glenn. TO was standing right there.

The coaches then decide to overrule DB and go with the fade to TO but when the play is run, Drew improvises and goes ahead and throws the out to Glenn (the play he wanted to run).

If this is true, no wonder Parcells was so POed and pulled him out of the game.

Audio Link provided by dcfanatic
Click here to listen

Makes sense.

After the game Parcells was ambiguous, but it seemed to me that he was pointing to Bledsoe. Parcells mentioned that there was too much improvising in the game and then said that on one play the play was set up to go one way and the defense dictated that the play should go that way, but the QB went the other way with the ball.

YAKUZA

jlust22

Reaction score
On that play, Bledsoe should have thrown to either Fasano or Witten. When Owens went in motion and towards the corner of the end zone, he took 2 defenders with him and wasn't open. Fasano was absolutely wide open and Witten eventually came open, but Bledsoe never looked their way instead throwing to Glenn. Bledsoe had an easy TD pass on that play, but for some reason, he had it in his mind to throw to Glenn who obviously wasn't open at all.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jlust22;1119276 said:
On that play, Bledsoe should have thrown to either Fasano or Witten. When Owens went in motion and towards the corner of the end zone, he took 2 defenders with him and wasn't open. Fasano was absolutely wide open and Witten eventually came open, but Bledsoe never looked their way instead throwing to Glenn. Bledsoe had an easy TD pass on that play, but for some reason, he had it in his mind to throw to Glenn who obviously wasn't open at all.

Dang the network must have been showing a special view on your TV than mine because the camera followed the play not what was on the other side, not even on replay.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1119284 said:
Dang the network must have been showing a special view on your TV than mine because the camera followed the play not what was on the other side, not even on replay.

That is what I was thinking.

Unless my memory fails me right now, and it may as I am getting older:( , I don't remember the camera even looking over that way.

Either way Bill has been on record as saying the play was to be on the other side.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score

Yeah, I re-watched the game last night. All you can see is Terrell Owens going in motion to the Slot and going away from the LOS.

As you said, even on Replay you dont get to see it. But, that play has probably been disected a thousand times and other stations could have shown different angles when disecting it, but I have not seen any.

- Mike G.

wileedog

Reaction score

This is from Galloway's article, who was watching from the press box

Wideouts Terry Glenn and Eldorado Owens lined up on the left side, then Owens went in motion to the right. That flooded that area with three recievers, including tight ends Jason Witten and Anthony Fasano.

The play was called for the pass to go right, with those three options.

Bledsoe took the snap, and dropped back, with time. He glanced right.

Apparently, he didn't see Fasano wide open, after the rookie ran a simple hook pattern in the front of the end zone. One Mississippi later, Witten was also open outside of Fasano.

If Bledsoe was looking for Eldorado, as some seem to think, that wasn't an option. Owens was double-covered and not open.

Bledsoe, having overlooked two open receivers in the end zone, suddenly looked left and then threw that way.

Terry Glenn is never a bad backup option in this situation, except Glenn had gone to the corner of the end zone, and was given no room by Madison's coverage.

If Galloway is accurate, I tend to believe the play was intended for one of the TEs, and perhaps TO added a bit of creative license when talking with Irvin.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1119286 said:
That is what I was thinking.

Unless my memory fails me right now, and it may as I am getting older:( , I don't remember the camera even looking over that way.

Either way Bill has been on record as saying the play was to be on the other side.

I agree. Either way Drew did not carry the play out the way he should have according to Parcells. I watched the game and the replays on 56" TV and unless others are getting a special broadcast of the game then ESPN camera were following the play and not what was taking place on the backside of the play so how anyone can claim this guy or that guy was wide-open is beyond me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1119288 said:
Yeah, I re-watched the game last night. All you can see is Terrell Owens going in motion to the Slot and going away from the LOS.

As you said, even on Replay you dont get to see it. But, that play has probably been disected a thousand times and other stations could have shown different angles when disecting it, but I have not seen any.

- Mike G.

Even at that they show the footage by the network who has exclusive rights to the game.

jlust22

Reaction score

I was at the game so I didn't see the TV broadcast, but I am sure you are correct. Although, on the replays I saw later, it did confirm to me that Fasano was wide open in the middle of the end zone, but Bledsoe never looked in that direction.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jlust22;1119304 said:
I was at the game so I didn't see the TV broadcast, but I am sure you are correct. Although, on the replays I saw later, it did confirm to me that Fasano was wide open in the middle of the end zone, but Bledsoe never looked in that direction.

If you were at the game then I take your word for it. As for TV coverage I never saw that not even in replay. Whatever the case may be Bledsoe messed up and it cost him his job end of story as far as I'm concerned.

perhaps2

Reaction score
He pulled the same routine in New England. Pew is about stats. Not listening to coaches, making his own plays when he was told to do something else..

Big Bill should've known this before bringing him to Dallas. As Michael W. said, he was jettisoned from Buffalo because of that and Belichick got tired of it too. Let him pout, make boo-boo faces or what not, and let's see what Romo has in him. If BP extended his contract, he must've seen something in him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
perhaps2;1119345 said:
He pulled the same routine in New England. Pew is about stats. Not listening to coaches, making his own plays when he was told to do something else..

Big Bill should've known this before bringing him to Dallas. As Michael W. said, he was jettisoned from Buffalo because of that and Belichick got tired of it too. Let him pout, make boo-boo faces or what not, and let's see what Romo has in him. If BP extended his contract, he must've seen something in him.

When Romo did it aginst the Raiders in pre-season (not calling the time out but going up and running the QB sneak) it was said he had moxie. That is not the play BP wanted. :laugh2:

EndGame

Reaction score
mmohican29;1119090 said:
JJ woulda cut his sorry statue for that. Perhaps Bill is getting a little soft.
Sounds great in theory, but then who the heck would be our backup QB? It's great to send a message, but BP knows he has to be practical.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
EndGame;1119357 said:
Sounds great in theory, but then who the heck would be our backup QB? It's great to send a message, but BP knows he has to be practical.

Come to think about it, who was the guy Jimmy Johnson cut for sleeping during a meeting?

Those were the good old days :p: .

wileedog

Reaction score
Vela, as usual, gives a nice breakdown of the play

On the previous series, Dallas had motioned him underneath the line and put Owens in single coverage with DE Strahan. Strahan is one of the best ends in the game but he has no business trying to cover Pro Bowl-caliber wideouts. Owens burned him for seventeen yards, setting up Dallas’ TD. Now, as he Owens lines up next to Fasano, the corner on that edge drops off Fasano and points at Owens. At the snap, Owens runs an out and pulls two Giants wide with him.

Inside, Witten runs to the goalline and cuts left. He gets immediate attention from the linebacker in the center of New York’s zone. Witten and Owens have split New York’s secondary like the Red Sea. One has drawn coverage left, the other has yoked two defenders right. When Fasano runs straight to the goal line and turns around, he’s wide open. Amazingly, a quick pass to his gut will put Dallas in the lead, after 20 or so minutes of wandering in the football desert.

But Bledsoe again does not even look in Fasano’s direction — the designed area for his throw. He immediately turns left and forces a ball to Terry Glenn, who has run a decoy out pattern. Glenn is well covered, and the ball is picked off by CB Sam Madison. Once again, Bledsoe is not pressured. The Cowboys line has held stoutly. The quarterback seems to feel the rush of ghosts.

According to Vela that was one of many plays against the Giants and all year when Bledsoe either went off script or just flat out mis-read plays.

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
mmohican29;1119090 said:
JJ woulda cut his sorry statue for that. Perhaps Bill is getting a little soft.

Cmon, no way any coach that had the history with a player like Parcells and Drew would cut someone on the spot for that.

joseephuss

Reaction score
wileedog;1119291 said:
This is from Galloway's article, who was watching from the press box

If Galloway is accurate, I tend to believe the play was intended for one of the TEs, and perhaps TO added a bit of creative license when talking with Irvin.

Sounds like T.O. was intended to be the first/primary read and then the check downs are to the two tight ends. Glenn was the last option, yet Drew went to him pretty fast. Parcells wasn't being vague when he said the play was designed to go to the right. Seems like that is where all the good options were located. I do think that it is being dumbed down when people say the ball was supposed to go to T.O. A QB has to check down when the primary option is covered. T.O. was not open and it was a good choice not to force it to him. Drew checked down, but not in the right sequence.