Twitter: Babe Laufenberg: Maybe the team just isn't good enough

Sydla

Reaction score
The Steelers got to play those games with 2 of their 3 best offensive skill players available on offense.

We were missing Tony and Dez for the 2/3rds of this losing streak.

We were also missing two of our best defenders for the first two games of this losing streak.

But by all means let's ignore reality to take a shot at this coach and staff. The same coach and staff that people raved about this offseason.

People are fickle. It's embarrassing.

I didn't rave about him. Because one good season shouldn't just wipte away 3 previous seasons of mediocrity.

The coaching staff is average. Not bad. Not great. I could agree with a change in staff if the Jones' decided to go that route. Garrett and company aren't good enough to worry about losing.

coogrfan

Reaction score
And even when they do, they don't lose six in a row, bro.

I mean, the Steelers found a way to win some. Even the Colts got a couple with Matt Hasselbeck.

The Colts knocked off the Jags and the Texans. Combined record to date: 5-11 (31%). T/O margin in those two wins: even.

The Boys have lost to the Falcons, Saints, Patriots, Giants, Seahawks and Eagles. Combined record to date: 31-20 (61%). T/O margin in those six losses: -7

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The Colts knocked off the Jags and the Texans. Combined record to date: 5-11 (31%). T/O margin in those two wins: even.

The Boys have lost to the Falcons, Saints, Patriots, Giants, Seahawks and Eagles. Combined record to date: 31-20 (61%). T/O margin in those six losses: -7

Excluding the Cowboys games, the Seahawks, Giants, and Eagles are a combined 12-13.

And the Steelers, of course, managed to knock off the Cardinals.

Now, this team has lost six in a row. Only three teams in franchise history have managed that feat -- the three worst teams in franchise history.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Excluding the Cowboys games, the Seahawks, Giants, and Eagles are a combined 12-13.

True. That's still significantly better than the dreck Indy knocked off to get those two wins with Hasselbeck.

And the Steelers, of course, managed to knock off the Cardinals.

Steelers T/O margin vs Arizona: +3

Now, this team has lost six in a row. Only three teams in franchise history have managed that feat -- the three worst teams in franchise history.

*sigh*

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
True. That's still significantly better than the dreck Indy knocked off to get those two wins with Hasselbeck.

That "dreck" has a better record than we do.

Steelers T/O margin vs Arizona: +3

You say that as if it somehow absolves the team and coaching staff from culpability. Good teams force more turnovers than they commit. Bad ones don't.

I know. It sucks. Facts are painful. But reasonable people change their opinions when new information comes along.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
This is the only loss besides the pats game I don't put on the coaches. Except the defense is obviously not doing near enough conditioning

coogrfan

Reaction score
That "dreck" has a better record than we do.

The Texans three wins were are over the Jags, Titans and Bucs. Having seen the Texans fall behind by 40+ in the 1st half twice this season I feel justified in referring to them as dreck.

You say that as if it somehow absolves the team and coaching staff from culpability. Good teams force more turnovers than they commit. Bad ones don't.

I said nothing of the sort. I merely pointed out one possible reason that Pitt and Indy have been able to win games with a backup QB while we have not.

I know. It sucks. Facts are painful. But reasonable people change their opinions when new information comes along.

This isn't a bad Cowboy team, at least from an overall talent perspective. For whatever reason we're just not making the plays at the end necessary to win.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The Texans three wins were are over the Jags, Titans and Bucs. Having seen the Texans fall behind by 40+ in the 1st half twice this season I feel justified in referring to them as dreck.

I said nothing of the sort. I merely pointed out one possible reason that Pitt and Indy have been able to win games with a backup QB while we have not.

The isn't a bad Cowboy team, at least from an overall talent perspective. For whatever reason we're just not making the plays at the end necessary to win.

You just described the Texans as "dreck" because they only beat the Jags, Titans, and Bucs, all of whom you view as "dreck" as well. Yet, you view the Cowboys as "not bad" despite them having a worse record than the Texans and Bucs and the same record as the Jags and Titans. Incidentally, the Titans just beat the Saints, to whom the Cowboys lost.

For the sake of satiating my own morbid curiosity, would you be a doll and answer a hypothetical I have: If the Cowboys lose to the Bucs (a "dreck" team, apparently) next week, will you still consider the Cowboys "not bad"?

coogrfan

Reaction score
You just described the Texans as "dreck" because they only beat the Jags, Titans, and Bucs, all of whom you view as "dreck" as well. Yet, you view the Cowboys as "not bad" despite them having a worse record than the Texans and Bucs and the same record as the Jags and Titans. Incidentally, the Titans just beat the Saints, to whom the Cowboys lost.

I would suggest to you that making blanket statements to the effect that team A is better than team B because A has one more win is a mistake. In order to have an informed opinion you have to actually watch a team play.

I've seen every snap of every game the Boys and Texans have played this season, as well as several Jags and Titans games. I will state unequivocally that despite the fact that we're all hovering around 2-3 wins, Dallas has a much better roster top to bottom than any of those teams. It really isn't even debatable.

For the sake of satiating my own morbid curiosity, would you be a doll and answer a hypothetical I have: If the Cowboys lose to the Bucs (a "dreck" team, apparently) next week, will you still consider the Cowboys "not bad"?

I think that would depend on the nature of the loss.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I would suggest to you that making blanket statements to the effect that team A is better than team B because A has one more win is a mistake. In order to have an informed opinion you have to actually watch a team play.

I've seen every snap of every game the Boys and Texans have played this season, as well as several Jags and Titans games. I will state unequivocally that despite the fact that we're all hovering around 2-3 wins, Dallas has a much better roster top to bottom than any of those teams. It really isn't even debatable.

Making blanket statement to that effect is exactly what you did. You claimed the Texans were "drecks" because, in part, they had only beaten the Bucs, the Jags, and the Titans. In essence, you argued Team A was bad because they'd only beaten Team B, Team C, and Team D. This is exactly the same kind of logic you're denouncing.

You can claim the supremacy of the "eyeball test" all you want (which is, for all intents and purposes, a fallacy of appeal to authority), but with a lack of substantive evidence, your assessment means little.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Steelers got to play those games with 2 of their 3 best offensive skill players available on offense.

We were missing Tony and Dez for the 2/3rds of this losing streak.

We were also missing two of our best defenders for the first two games of this losing streak.

But by all means let's ignore reality to take a shot at this coach and staff. The same coach and staff that people raved about this offseason.

People are fickle. It's embarrassing.

Whats embarrassing is Garrett managing only 1 winning season in his entire coaching career and not being able to coach up one dam win without Romo.

6 in a row is the longest losing streak in 26 seasons.................you actually blaming that only losing a couple of players?.................You cant be serious, this must be a joke post.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Campo never lost more than 4 in a row and he had freaking Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson at QB and Troy Hambrick at RB so dont even pretend that losing 6 in a row is excusable because of schedule.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Whats embarrassing is Garrett managing only 1 winning season in his entire coaching career and not being able to coach up one dam win without Romo.

6 in a row is the longest losing streak in 26 seasons.................you actually blaming that only losing a couple of players?.................You cant be serious, this must be a joke post.

Well no. We've been unlucky to lose 6 lose straight.

Studies show you win 50 percent of 1 score games in the long run. We've lost 4 such games with two that went into overtime.

I'm simply not going to get so worked up about losing games without our All Pro qb.

It's been an unfortunate 6 weeks. But what are you going to do?

I know the primary reason we are losing games. Injuries and poor luck. Why cry?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Well no. We've been unlucky to lose 6 lose straight.

Studies show you win 50 percent of 1 score games in the long run. We've lost 4 such games with two that went into overtime.

I'm simply not going to get so worked up about losing games without our All Pro qb.

It's been an unfortunate 6 weeks. But what are you going to do?

I know the primary reason we are losing games. Injuries and poor luck. Why cry?

Injuries are part of the game, they are going to happen every year. Next year we are going to lose players to ACLs, broken bones, soft tissue injuries, ect.....all teams will. However, injuries are not an excuse to lose 6 games in a row. There are head coaches around the league that get fired every year because of injuries, not just in the NFL but in the other sports leagues as well. The head coach of the Oklahoma Thunder last season was fired for a poor record even though Durant was injured most of the season. Wisenhunt just got fired from the Titans because of a poor record and he hasn't had Marriotta because of injury. Guess what, Marriotta returned yesterday and they beat the Saints.

My point is that injuries are to be expected and coaches are expected to be able to coach wins despite having star players injured or starting QB injured. That's all I am saying. Yea, maybe you dont win every one but you dam sure dont lose every last one of them.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Injuries are part of the game, they are going to happen every year. Next year we are going to lose players to ACLs, broken bones, soft tissue injuries, ect.....all teams will. However, injuries are not an excuse to lose 6 games in a row. There are head coaches around the league that get fired every year because of injuries, not just in the NFL but in the other sports leagues as well. The head coach of the Oklahoma Thunder last season was fired for a poor record even though Durant was injured most of the season. Wisenhunt just got fired from the Titans because of a poor record and he hasn't had Marriotta because of injury. Guess what, Marriotta returned yesterday and they beat the Saints.

My point is that injuries are to be expected and coaches are expected to be able to coach wins despite having star players injured or starting QB injured. That's all I am saying. Yea, maybe you dont win every one but you dam sure dont lose every last one of them.

Brooks was fired because he is a poor x's and o's coach.

Whisenhunt was fired because he is 24-58 without Kurt Warner.

visionary

Reaction score
But but but

I was told that Garrett, McClay, Stephen and most of all Jerry built this team 'the right way' to be a contender every year