Video: Babe Laufenberg On His Assessment Of Kellen Moore, Dak's Ceiling, And More | Shan & RJ

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Bring Pollard back. Bring in a quality vet as there is always options in FA. Draft another in the middle rounds.

That should be more than enough.

Instead, I suspect Jerry might go silly again and either bring back Elliott or use a first round pick on a TB
Stock up, works for the 9ers.
If he goes for Robinson or something, I may just become a homer Buffalo fan, lol.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Heard several points that I've been making and it resonates with me.

Gallup was really not ready to play at a high level this year. Why on EARTH....did seasoned front office personnel which... is what the Cowboys have...were they comfortable with paying him as your #2 WR. I mean who on earth made that decision?!!!!! The irony is...we did the whole WR by committee thing the offseason before we traded for Cooper in season. It was a disaster....we had already seen it not work. What are we doing?!!

For those who think we have a ton of weapons or think our roster is better than the 49ers. Listen to what Babe thinks

For those that did not listen....Babe pointed out BOTH the Niners and the Eagles had QBs that moved up in the draft to get (Wentz and Lance) and that did not stop them from adding someone else (Hurts and Purdy)...and BOTH are playing in the title game

Babe also points out big moves were made in free agency AND during the season. He suggested maybe it's time to make a BOLD move.
True, but he also didn't blame Dak directly for those Interceptions last Sunday as they were more on the routes designed, executions and the plays called. He said even Mahomes, Brady, Allen and Rodgers would have ended up in an interception if they had to throw to a gimpy 2nd receiver who is still not fully recovered (Gallup) being asked to run a 10 yard comeback route along the sideline with a CB sitting back waiting to make an easy break on a 10 yard deep sideline comeback throw. In other words, it was a horribly designed passing route concept, especially with a gimpy #2 receiver who is still limited and not anywhere close to 100%. Bad setup for your QB and team.

Kurt Warner said the same during his film breakdown. Even Brian Baldinger said Dak had no weapons all season long, other than CeeDee.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hosts desperately trying to get Babe to say it's a scheme issue. Babe points out they're the #3 scoring offense 2 years in a row. I've yet to see any of Kellen's detractors make a coherent argument for how he's getting that type of production.

If you're anti-Dak, he's doing a great job getting what he's got out of Dak.

If you're pro-Dak, he's done a great job with an awful o-line and a dearth of offensive weapons.

Personally, I'd like to see him move on simply because I'm curious how long it will take for the next OC to get thrown under the bus.
Leaving Dak out of this, what have you witnessed that suggests Moore scoring offense in the regular season translates to the post season. I also think that some fans probably hear "No. 3 scoring offense" and don't consider that there were a lot of rushing scores.
I can think of a handful of things that justify a change at OC, but no one really wants to listen unless it "fire him or cut them."
I do get your scapegoat point of view, that's interesting.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Everything that Babe said is reasonable. I would go a little further and say I think the throw to Gallup on the deep post was effected by the Rush. Bosa pushed Tyron into Dak as he was throwing the ball.

But I am not judging Dak on a throw or two. The INTs have been a season long problem and it seems like they all hurt, like inside the 20 of either team. To me it is Dak's judgement as much as anything. He says he wants to be aggressive but does he not have the ability to tone that down when aggression is the wrong move? Does he enter the game saying "I will bee aggressive on every play"? I just wish sometimes he would take a quick look and if he doesn't get what he wants throw it away or dump it off. Watching Purdy and the kid from Washington do it makes me wonder why Dak can't. Dak holds the ball too long, then he' dump it off but by then the RB with 20 yards in front of him has a LB bearing down on him for a 2 yards loss or a 1 yard gain. Sometimes he just have to dump it off early and let Zeke or Pollard take the easy 10 yards and hopefully break a tackle and get more.

I just don't see game management skills from Dak. No matter how you feel about him, he cannot throw 2 or more INTs per game and give away points like that, especially in the playoffs.
I think it's on Dak and the coaches as well. McCarthy has come out and said the coaching staff encourages. Yea you get a play like a 3rd and 20 conversion to TY Hilton but you can also get a pick 6. Sometimes it's best to live to fight another day especially when the defense is playing as well as it was vs the Niners.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Leaving Dak out of this, what have you witnessed that suggests Moore scoring offense in the regular season translates to the post season.
Looked good against Tampa. There were plays left on the field against SF last year, too. They improved in the red zone. They beat CIN with their backup. They're not explosive outside of Pollard. Limited weapons is a reality, which puts more pressure on the scheme.

Reactions: G2

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
True, but he also didn't blame Dak directly for those Interceptions last Sunday as they were more on the routes designed, executions and the plays called. He said even Mahomes, Brady, Allen and Rodgers would have ended up in an interception if they had to throw to a gimpy 2nd receiver who is still not fully recovered (Gallup) being asked to run a 10 yard comeback route along the sideline with a CB sitting back waiting to make an easy break on a 10 yard deep sideline comeback throw. In other words, it was a horribly designed passing route concept, especially with a gimpy #2 receiver who is still limited and not anywhere close to 100%. Bad setup for your QB and team.

Kurt Warner said the same during his film breakdown. Even Brian Baldinger said Dak had no weapons all season long, other than CeeDee.
Yes, he did say the route was just terribly run...he also said Dak should not have thrown it.

The issues are not all on one person. Kellen Moore, the WR coach, Gallup and Dak. Well, for better or worse......Dak is going to get the brunt of the blame...he probably makes more than all of those other 3 combined. That's just how it is. BUT....BUT...the people responsible for improving the on field product needs to be focused on fixing it....not letting Dak twist in the wind and take all of these hits from media and fans.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, he did say the route was just terribly run...he also said Dak should not have thrown it.

The issues are not all on one person. Kellen Moore, the WR coach, Gallup and Dak. Well, for better or worse......Dak is going to get the brunt of the blame...he probably makes more than all of those other 3 combined. That's just how it is. BUT....BUT...the people responsible for improving the on field product needs to be focused on fixing it....not letting Dak twist in the wind and take all of these hits from media and fans.
100% agreed brother! :bow:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Not impressed with the assessment. He actually said Dak didn’t miss much in the 9ers game. That’s just being dishonest.
He didn’t really. The 2 he did though were huge. Red zone pick in particular. He could have gone 28 for 30 and threw those 2 and it still would have hurt.

NumOneQB

Reaction score

Dak still has to have the awareness to see the corner sitting on that route to not throw it. Busted play, eat it and live to play another down. Babe mentioned on that play SF had 7 defenders in coverage against 5 WRs for Dallas and Dak made the right decision to target Gallup who was the only guy with a man on defender. Again, Dak has to recognize you just cannot make that throw. 100% on Dak.
And the TY miss, Dak made the right read throwing to Ceedee who was man on with the MLB. You got the matchup you wanted, Fred Warner is just a freak athlete and made a helluva play.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak still has to have the awareness to see the corner sitting on that route to not throw it. Busted play, eat it and live to play another down. Babe mentioned on that play SF had 7 defenders in coverage against 5 WRs for Dallas and Dak made the right decision to target Gallup who was the only guy with a man on defender. Again, Dak has to recognize you just cannot make that throw. 100% on Dak.
And the TY miss, Dak made the right read throwing to Ceedee who was man on with the MLB. You got the matchup you wanted, Fred Warner is just a freak athlete and made a helluva play.
Dak's problem was he never looked Gallup's way until the last second. It was almost a blind trust of a throw. Dak was looking elsewhere, then at the last second decided to turn and throw to Gallup.

Notice Greg Olsen mentioned how Erik Armstead was in Dak's face so that might have contributed. Also, Gallup never came back. He just ran 10 yards, stopped and turned around. Greg Olsen even said the CB pretty much ran the route for Gallup. Total mess from everyone wearing a Cowboys helmet.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Cowboys dont do situational football or clock management very well.
Team has a football IQ of 3.
That is where MM should step in. Either he is not allowed to or he agrees with the decision to pass the ball when we should be running it. If he is not allowed to step in...or he agrees with the bad decision being made during periods where situational football intelligence is required....then he is useles. He is not the d coordinator....he is not the o coordinator.....his clock management is poor...his situational football is poor.....why exactly is he here?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Hosts desperately trying to get Babe to say it's a scheme issue. Babe points out they're the #3 scoring offense 2 years in a row. I've yet to see any of Kellen's detractors make a coherent argument for how he's getting that type of production.

If you're anti-Dak, he's doing a great job getting what he's got out of Dak.

If you're pro-Dak, he's done a great job with an awful o-line and a dearth of offensive weapons.

Personally, I'd like to see him move on simply because I'm curious how long it will take for the next OC to get thrown under the bus.
Just like Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan were thrown under the bus during Romo's tenure.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Looked good against Tampa. There were plays left on the field against SF last year, too. They improved in the red zone. They beat CIN with their backup. They're not explosive outside of Pollard. Limited weapons is a reality, which puts more pressure on the scheme.
Great vs. Tampa, the most balanced I've seen this team. Disagree w/ the redzone, but to be fair I think the staff gave up on FGs and rightfully so.
Moore's scheme doesn't put the offense in a better position. Regardless of the WR talent, which is embarrassing, the route concepts I've been seeing are suspect for a couple of reasons in my opinion.
And, the same JG/Linehan feel with regard to the RBs. I don't agree with how the RB roster and usage was handled the last 2-3 years. That is nearly half the issue. Not so much production, but game management and balance.
Any scheme that puts the O lineman on the outside and skill players on the inside, w/ Zeke snapping alone on the line needs to be dragged out in the street and beaten. That did trumped last years 49er debacle tho, lol.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That is where MM should step in. Either he is not allowed to or he agrees with the decision to pass the ball when we should be running it. If he is not allowed to step in...or he agrees with the bad decision being made during periods where situational football intelligence is required....then he is useles. He is not the d coordinator....he is not the o coordinator.....his clock management is poor...his situational football is poor.....why exactly is he here?
Exactly!
So disappointing that he has apparently been handcuffed to install his offense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In the last 7 home games SF gave up 11.8 points per game on defense.
They were just that good with Bosa and Armstead and the game's best off-ball LB in Warner.

The offense struggled and came up short again when it mattered most.
Losing TP was like catching a flat in the snow.

An offensive shake up makes a lot of sense because defenses know what you are doing and any offense grows stale.
Even if they bring Moore back they should infuse new concepts and play design.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Disagree w/ the redzone,
In 2019 they were 16th in the redzone, 2020 they were 29th. Last year they were 6th and this year they were first. That seems like improvement.

Reactions: G2