Backup for Pollard

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
i would like to see players honor their contract.

This is such a weird one-sided take.

NFL players are constantly cut with years left on their contract. Why is there no obligation for owners/teams to "honor" their part of the contract? Why do fans call millionaire players greedy and give billionaire owners their sympathy?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. No sooner we get rid of one in Dez, another one surfaces. Can't stand players who are all about "ME". They're a cancer to any team. It's a proven fact.
I respect that, but I don't agree. I've seen players like this all my life. Most teammates support him and not Jerry. The team will suffer more without him, than with him. Most players have this kind of personality and players are not like most fans. They have egos and they support each other.

jaybird

Reaction score
Backup Options for Pollard:
1. Zeke if he returns.
2. Weber.
3. Morris.
4. Jackson
5. Chunn
#1 You’re helirous
First of all as good as Pollard has looked he’s not the cowbell Rback. The question should be; see above list.

funkytown

Reaction score
I think we have to see how many RB's the Eagles are going to keep.

Locks to stay:
Miles Sanders
Jordan Howard
Darren Sproles

On the bubble:
Corey Clement
Josh Adams
Wendell Smallwood
Donnell Pumphrey

Cowboys liked Pumphrey in the draft that year, but the Eagles took him right before our pick. With Pollard, he doesn't look like a fit anymore.

Any of the others could be a better option than Chunn, Morris, or Jackson

Sydla

Reaction score

NFL players are constantly cut with years left on their contract. Why is there no obligation for owners/teams to "honor" their part of the contract? Why do fans call millionaire players greedy and give billionaire owners their sympathy?

This is a misrepresentation of how contracts in the NFL work. The only money that matters is the guaranteed money. And agents and players have acknowledged this. If a team cuts a player who is still due guaranteed money, guess what? The team is obligated to pay that money. So it's not like teams are cutting players and then not paying them money they were entitled to at the time of contract signing.

So this idea that owners' break contracts is a bit of a stretch because agents and players know future base salaries that aren't guaranteed aren't viewed as being worth the paper they are written on. Now if a team cut a player and then tried to keep guaranteed money from a player, then that would be a more clear cut case of a team breaking a contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think we have to see how many RB's the Eagles are going to keep.

Locks to stay:
Miles Sanders
Jordan Howard
Darren Sproles

On the bubble:
Corey Clement
Josh Adams
Wendell Smallwood
Donnell Pumphrey

Cowboys liked Pumphrey in the draft that year, but the Eagles took him right before our pick. With Pollard, he doesn't look like a fit anymore.

Any of the others could be a better option than Chunn, Morris, or Jackson

Pumphrey stinks. He's been a total bust in Philly.

Adams has a fumbling problem.

Clement and Smallwood? ehhhh.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The little "boo hoo, I feel disrespected because Jerry offered me a Top 5 contract and then made a clear joke about me" is a little cry babyish, for sure.

Some of those analogies aren't apples to apples. When Jerry is holding out for a better business deal, he's often making the initial offer. He's not operating under an existing contract and then throwing a hissy fit halfway through. And the NFL doesn't threaten to pull their broadcasts off Fox or CBS or NBC or ESPN halfway through their network contracts either because they suddenly think they deserve more money.

You don't think Jerry has ever walked out of a negotiation? You don't think he's become angry and used whatever leverage he has if he felt he should benefit more from a certain deal? Jerry attempted a coup to get Goodell fired and was extremely peeved at other owners who he felt didn't have his back. He made all types of threats to get his way. The league and the owners look at him as being a problem and they used hard tactics to get him to back off.

Zeke is absolutely immature. He's just using his perceived leverage to attempt to get a better deal for himself.

quickccc

Reaction score
Backup Options for Pollard:
1. Zeke if he returns.
2. Weber.
3. Morris.
4. Jackson
5. Chunn

actually from observing the remaining backups in preseason that are behind Pollard, I've been thinking that it could be more benefiting for us to go with the same RB roster strategy
as we did last year in '18, - with just two RBs and one FB. (zeke, rod smith and Olawele)

sorry but i'm not seeing anything unique or exceptional about weber or chunn or Jackson to where we just have to keep them on the 53 roster.
i'd be more for keeping one or two on the practice squad, and call them up if need in dire emergence injury.

Plus with going with just two backs, that immediately frees up an extra roster spot elsewhere - that's an extra DL (Jackson, jelks?)
that we could go longer than usual.

funkytown

Reaction score
Pumphrey stinks. He's been a total bust in Philly.

Adams has a fumbling problem.

Clement and Smallwood? ehhhh.

We are talking about a 3rd string RB. Most of them are "ehhh". But can any of those guys offer more than Darius Jackson or Alfred Morris? I'd rather roll the dice with Adams or Clement.

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't think Jerry has ever walked out of a negotiation? You don't think he's become angry and used whatever leverage he has if he felt he should benefit more from a certain deal? Jerry attempted a coup to get Goodell fired and was extremely peeved at other owners who he felt didn't have his back. He made all types of threats to get his way. The league and the owners look at him as being a problem and they used hard tactics to get him to back off.

Zeke is absolutely immature. He's just using his perceived leverage to attempt to get a better deal for himself.

I think he's walked out of a negotiation. But how many times has he walked out when he's already under contract? I suspect not as much as you think.

If Zeke was a FA and walked out of a negotiation, that would be a comparable situation. But he's not a FA. He's under contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
We are talking about a 3rd string RB. Most of them are "ehhh". But can any of those guys offer more than Darius Jackson or Alfred Morris? I'd rather roll the dice with Adams or Clement.

Are Adams or Clement better than Jackson or Morris?

Likely not.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Zeke returns, he starts.

While Zeke is gone, and Pollard starts, who do they make active to backup Pollard on game day?

Chunn or Morris seem like the best fits. Gives us a short yardage back to go with Pollard. They probably go with Morris to split more carries.

Though I wonder how good Olawale is as a short yardage back. He's probably a good 3rd down back. Likely the best pass blocker not named Zeke, and a good receiver too.

When (not if) zeke returns, Morris (Alf) should be immediately cut. that's just a waste of a roster spot. they can talk about his vision, but he doesn't have the burst to get to the openings and edges
I never bought this we wanted to keep him after he left in FA, . lol he was out there available forever at one time, he never signed up with anyone.
they could have re-signed him if they wanted to, but they wanted more burst,, big chunk, big play splash as a RB. Morris doesn't offer you that.

its very important to have a runner that has the necessary burst and run vision to be able to make things happen on his own when there's a stalemate in the trenches
Morris may have the feel and vision, but his burst cannot get him to where he needs to be quickly, he's pedestrian, a plodder.

and I would hate to see a valuable player elsewhere released in the final roster cut down.. just for the sake of Alfred Morris, who we know he's not going to last very long.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

who said i was offering anyone at all sympathy? that said i do understand your point that a player can get cut and that's the flip side of all this. i have just long since lost my interest in hearing millionaires argue with billionaires about money. i don't have a lot of sympathy for either side, i'm more personal responsibility. but again, being cut is a valid counterpoint.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
My question is. What happens this holdout goes into the season. And we go 3-0 at the beginning cuz those teams aren’t that good. What happens then with contract talks?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Who needs Zeke or Pollard when we have that future Hall of Famer Darius Jackson on the team,..........
:lmao2:,,,there's obviously some kinda' unseen ethereal connecting tether that's keeping him & Jamil Showers in semi- continuous low orbit with this franchise ,I think it'd be kinda cool seeing both the #26 & #28 making significant team contributions in post season play this year:starspin:

EST_1986

Reaction score
Smith, Jones, Coop, Dak, Collins. They all need new contracts too. None of them are raising such a stink about it.
none of them are running backs, all of them can have long long careers unlike Zeke