Twitter: Baldinger breaks down a couple Parsons plays

HungryLion

Reaction score
*Meant to say Parsons has only just recently played the linebacker position for 2 years while at Penn State.

The criticisms (“he can’t cover.....he has no instincts...he’s just like Jaylon”) of him coming out of ahead of the draft were silly when understanding the context of where he is at in his development.

Despite being green at the position, in just his second season playing LB, he goes out and wins the Butkus Award in 2019 tallying:

100+ tackles
14 TFL
5 sacks
5 PDs
4 FF

Dude’s best football is ahead of him.

I haven’t been this excited about a cowboys defensive draft pick, since Demarcus Ware. To be honest.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
My biggest concern about Michal Pearson was whether he'd succumb to Cupcake Culture that has turned promising stars into Hostess Twinkies.
I just don't think players reach their full potential with the Dallas Cowboys.
I hope I'm wrong, and he bucks the trend.
I'm excited for Parsons, but I've been disappointed far too often by this team and its players to start rejoicing based on two preseason games.
But good news is always better than bad news, and something is always better than nothing.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
My biggest concern about Michal Pearson was whether he'd succumb to Cupcake Culture that has turned promising stars into Hostess Twinkies.
I'm excited for Parsons, but I've been disappointed far too often by this team and its players to start rejoicing based on two preseason games.
But good news is always better than bad news, and something is always better than nothing.

the oline might think differently

tyke1doe

Reaction score
reaching their full potential
Yet, as strong as this line was, it couldn't reduplicate what the Hogs of the 80s and 90s, the Giants of the 80s and 90s and the Cowboys of the 90s did, i.e., deliver a Super Bowl championship through the ground game.

I'd say they didn't reach their full potential, and that's because of the Culture of the Cowboys. Shrug.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Yet, as strong as this line was, it couldn't reduplicate what the Hogs of the 80s and 90s, the Giants of the 80s and 90s and the Cowboys of the 90s did, i.e., deliver a Super Bowl championship through the ground game.

I'd say they didn't reach their full potential, and that's because of the Culture of the Cowboys. Shrug.

you are reaching

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think Parsons is simply too Alpha to succumb.
He is what he is: a true dawg.

JMO

tyke1doe

Reaction score
you are reaching

Don't think I am. We have had a strong offensive line. We should have dominated the line of scrimmage, but we did not - for whatever reason.

Besides, how do you measure if a unit has reached its FULL POTENTIAL? In football, that's measured by WINNING.

Now, maybe the unit played to the best of its abilities. But I wasn't simply talking about the unit but the CULTURE. And the CULTURE involves not getting the most or the best out of your players/team.

I don't know any other way to measure culture except for by Super Bowl appearances and Super Bowl wins, especially in a game in which success is measured by wins.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Don't think I am. We have had a strong offensive line. We should have dominated the line of scrimmage, but we did not - for whatever reason.

Besides, how do you measure if a unit has reached its FULL POTENTIAL? In football, that's measured by WINNING.

Now, maybe the unit played to the best of its abilities. But I wasn't simply talking about the unit but the CULTURE. And the CULTURE involves not getting the most or the best out of your players/team.

I don't know any other way to measure culture except for by Super Bowl appearances and Super Bowl wins.

you said cowboys players dont reach their full potential. I was thinking about tyron, martin, frederick, leary, free. I don't see how much more they could improve. They were pretty good.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Hopefully he stays healthy, and the new dt's keep lineman off of him
I'm with ya on that.
And he is going to make rookie mistakes, make no doubt about it.

But I think he's going to end up being something special for this D.

jnday

Reaction score
Remember everyone talking about him being a bad character risk? Just a bad guy, they said. One member here kept saying he was going to go to jail for his hazing incident. :laugh:
I wouldn’t rub it in this soon. He hasn’t played a real game yet. He could do something tomorrow that causes a six game suspension. He hasn’t had time to explore the Dallas night life. I am not picking on Parsons. Any rookie can let this stuff go to his head.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I wouldn’t rub it in this soon. He hasn’t played a real game yet. He could do something tomorrow that causes a six game suspension. He hasn’t had time to explore the Dallas night life. I am not picking on Parsons. Any rookie can let this stuff go to his head.
Well, I’m not really rubbing it in but your point is well taken. While he looks very good so far… he still hasn’t played in a real NFL game yet. I get it.

However, it is pretty clear to this point that he isn’t some bad guy that is a trouble maker and can’t control a terrible temper or something. It was the typical pre-draft nit-picking that takes what is a fantastic prospect and suddenly makes fans wonder if he’s even worth a first round pick. The truth is that his rare, natural physical abilities coupled with a resume that has him playing elite football in every single year should have him in the top-5 conversation. He had been great every year going back to 9th grade.

Competitive alpha mentality. Elite production everywhere he’s been. Rare athleticism. All of that easily equals being drafted at the very top of the draft, yet some fans were saying stay away from him in round 1? Because of a hazing incident? That deserves to have a little fun poked at it.

jnday

Reaction score
Wasn't it true though? His limited 2 year college tape showed him struggle in coverage since he started off as a DE before being moved to a LB, so it was understandable why he struggled in coverage. Micah sat out last year. Clearly, he has worked on his quickness and coverage ability. No need to call out posters who questioned Micah's college coverage ability when they were right with what we saw from his limited time in college.
I think it is too soon to call out anybody before the first real game is played. I remember that a few teams disliked Parson’s diva attitude and compared his attitude to Odell Beckham’s attitude. IIRC, the Giants didn’t like his attitude at all . Parson’s attitude may not be an issue in Dallas, but it is entirely possible that it could become a problem in the future. I hope it doesn’t, but at this point nobody knows.