Twitter: Barring a Strong Trade offer, Romo rumored to be released tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You are 100% wrong ...calm down with the insults because you clearly don't understand

He is due 14m this year, none of it guaranteed and the new team has 2 team options at 20m each that they can decline at no cost
First off, point out any insults. Second, that's not what I've been reading/hearing. Maybe I've seen erroneous information, maybe not. Regardless, teams are obviously not going to trade anything of any significance for an aging QB coming off several injuries (my favorite Cowboy by the way, so no sour grapes in my response). They know we aren't going to keep him on the roster, so they're waiting to try to sign him to a contract of their liking.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what's next? A flood of free agents running to Dallas because they really admired the way Jones handled this? A happy locker room that really wants to lay it all out for the Jones family because they did right by Romo? That idea is reducing down the intellect of players and indicates you believe that they have zero sense for this being a business.

Had he been traded, nobody would have faulted Jones.

Players don't care unless the organization has proven to be dishonest and disrespectful. It doesn't work the other way around.

If it did, nobody would want to play in New England.

As I said above, the goodwill only matters when the money is there, too. My point was that it wasn't a negative the way you suggested when you said we'd been 'exposed as a weak organization that panders to its players.'

Where it does play a role is in negotiations like the Smith negotiation, where he publicly said he took less because of the way the team stood by him. It probably also played a role in La'el Collins coming here, since he was betting on that paying off for him down the road. So, you're wrong if you think the goodwill/badwill train only runs one way.

There are a lot of players who have said over the years that they've had issues with Belichick and New England. That's not to suggest their way isn't effective. Just that it's got it's own drawbacks.

Overall, the issue if we cut Romo is foregoing a draft pick we should have acquired here. That's a huge negative, as I said.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Marshall turns 33 this month, and he's battled injuries the last few years. No idea why this worries you guys. I'm glad the Giants are paying him that money.

Rueban randle 2.0.. he caused Alot of turnovers last year he was 2nd drops. He's garbage

flosho

Reaction score
i'm fine with this. Romo has earned his release. No team is going to trade for him anyway.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Denver-Houston. come on. are u trying to say they will be no interest if we release him. Really?

I'm talking TRADE value.

I'm certain there's interest in Romo. What I'm not certain about is whether one of the two or three teams who think they have a legit shot at him in free agency is willing to part with a draft pick.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If you aren't going to sign any decent FAs, then why the hell do you need to spread the cap hit over two years?

Just take the full hit this year.
You can always roll it over if you don't spend it

If you take the whole hit there is no way to change that later if you have injuries or want to make a trade

Put the 8.9m aside but know that is there in an emergency.... if not you roll over 8.9m and take an 8.9m dead money hit next year........same same

AbeBeta

Reaction score
hey member, we don't get to use any cap space with a a June 1st cut until June 2nd when the shelves are bare

but I wouldn't expect a moron to understand complex topics

We cut him tomorrow and we gain 5 mill in cap space.

You don't need huge amounts of available cap space to sign UFA - with Romo cut tomorrow we have 14 mill in space and lots of ways to make more if needed.

There is nothing keeping us from shopping.

edit: now reported he's a june 1st cut. We still have 9 mill in space and numerous ways to make more. The 9 mill lets you sign two guys to some pretty big deals if you want as the cap hit in the first year is generally only about half the average yearly value of the deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
And yeah, I don't buy the angle that this is Jerry's last bluff to drum up interest.

They are releasing him. It's just that simple.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
What type of offer do you think he's getting for him though? BRonco's and Texans need him and they aren't offering anything for him.

True. I cant really say what they may be offering. I do believe Romo has some value though. u dont think buffalo maybe offers a 3rd rd? 4th?

Sydla

Reaction score
You can always roll it over if you don't spend it

If you take the whole hit there is no way to change that later if you have injuries or want to make a trade

Put the 8.9m aside but know that is there in an emergency.... if not you roll over 8.9m and take an 8.9m dead money hit next year........same same

But with the contracts they have, they can create space if need be in an emergency, right?

So why not take the full hit now and then not carry a cent of Romo's contract in 2018?

LittleD

Reaction score
Denver-Houston. come on. are u trying to say they will be no interest if we release him. Really?

If Tony is released tomorrow there will more than two teams vying for his services. There may be up to 6 or more. Tonight
is the last nite to get a one on one with Jerry and Tony.

fredp22

Reaction score
I'm talking TRADE value.

I'm certain there's interest in Romo. What I'm not certain about is whether one of the two or three teams who think they have a legit shot at him in free agency is willing to part with a draft pick.

if Jerry doesnt release him of course there will be interest. They have no qb. you saying they wouldnt trade a 4th for someone like Romo? They would rather have no qb and save a 4th than have someone like Romo? even a conditional 7th is better than nothing. hes worth a 4th to 2nd conditional.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I swear, if this is just to sign McCown, i'm trading in my fandom for this season.

Guaranteed, the next team that signs him is going to be like, "Ha ha, yeah we were prepared to spend a pretty good pick on him. Guess things just work out huh?"

Status
Not open for further replies.