Twitter: Barring a Strong Trade offer, Romo rumored to be released tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And yet there are other organizations that make it about the organization first.

New England is cutthroat as can be and that does not damage their "perception".

You don't see them struggling to sign free agents or lock up their own.

It does damage their perception (why did you put that word in quotes, anyway?). But in their case, that damage is offset by the fact that they win. But you're fooling yourself if you don't think there are good players who don't want to play in that environment.

As I said, the real hurt (if this happens, which at this point is still a premature assumption) is missing out on the pick. That's bad enough. You don't need to go looking for ways to sprinkle arsenic on the turd. The turd is bad enough.

Qbert

Reaction score
if theres no trade right now, then just hold on to him for awhile and see what happens

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
he has a value. They're waiting to see if Jerry is stupid enough to just release him
When are you guys going to realize that teams are NOT going to trade anything for Tony. It has NOTHING to do with his talent or his value. It's his contract. No team wants to trade for him and have to pay his current contract (which they will inherit). They're going to wait until he's released and try to sign him to a new contract. Some of you posting on here simply do not have a clue how this works.

Scotman

Reaction score
I think they got Collins because they offered more. Could be wrong but he was given a pretty solid deal, IIRC.
I certainly don't know that you're wrong. The Cowboys paid him the max...but guaranteed all of it I think. Still, players like Jones. I can't help but wonder if that helps us. 20 years evidence to the contrary. :-(

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL. When you really think about it, it makes perfect sense.

We sit out the first week of free agency anyway and wait for the bargain rack to get started. Making him a June 1 cut gives us ammunition to clean up in the bargain rack game after June 1. Fits our strategy to a "t".

Sydla

Reaction score
I would have liked a trade, but its not surprising. I think this gives Cowboys ability to spread cap hit over 2 years though?

If you aren't going to sign any decent FAs, then why the hell do you need to spread the cap hit over two years?

Just take the full hit this year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally, someone gets how the Cowboys operate. Always remember the "DoRight" rule. Tony gave us 14 years and Jerry is doing the right
thing here.

It's how we work. In this case, I don't actually agree that releasing him now is the right move. If we don't have a deal in place already, I'd hold onto him until at least until the start of camp. That still gives him plenty of time to win a starting job for a contender, and it maximizes our chance to get something of value, because we ought to get something of value here.

But I'm not Jerry. What I would do and what Jerry would do are different things much of the time. I do understand how Jerry looks at this stuff, though, and I can appreciate it even if I don't agree with it.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I'll add, that the end of year is now more frustrating. They should have played him the rest of the Eagles game. They saved him only to release him.

LittleD

Reaction score
Guys...this is Jerry's last look and showing his cards. Teams now know that tomorrow every team will be able to
come at Tony with offers driving up his own deal. If a team is really thinking about getting Romo without
negotiation, this is the last day to buy into that trade. This is like the KMart Blue Light Special. This is a time
sensitive last chance to get the best QB on the market before the whole world gets to make an offer. Jerry
is playing the odds right now.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
If you aren't going to sign any decent FAs, then why the hell do you need to spread the cap hit over two years?

Just take the full hit this year.

They are going to give Dak a big contract in 2018, assuming he does not flop.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It does damage their perception (why did you put that word in quotes, anyway?). But in their case, that damage is offset by the fact that they win. But you're fooling yourself if you don't think there are good players who don't want to play in that environment.

So what's next? A flood of free agents running to Dallas because they really admired the way Jones handled this? A happy locker room that really wants to lay it all out for the Jones family because they did right by Romo? That idea is reducing down the intellect of players and indicates you believe that they have zero sense for this being a business.

Had he been traded, nobody would have faulted Jones.

Players don't care unless the organization has proven to be dishonest and disrespectful. It doesn't work the other way around.

If it did, nobody would want to play in New England.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Hey, the title did say "Barring a strong trade offer"

200.gif
The title is pulled from the tweet. Don't put that bad juju on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.