Barry Church Reveals Jason Witten Was Deciding Factor for Dak Prescott to Take Over for Tony Romo

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Believing it was time to move on from Romo is one thing. He had multiple opportunities to help the team achieve a championship. It never happened.

It is totally different believing the team would have appeared in or won Super Bowl LI. If the odds of winning a championship with Romo that season was less than 1%, it was still higher than the odds of winning one without him that year.

In all things, history teaches what some people willingly ignore. This season, Houston finished with a 10-7 regular season record and a 4th seed in the playoffs. The Texans were led by C.J. Stroud, who has been everything the franchise could hope for in his first NFL season.

Fate will either stay the course as it always has. Or the Texans and Stroud shall create a new chapter in Super Bowl history, which has maintained a rookie quarterback led team has neither appeared in nor won a Super Bowl in its entire 57-year era before now.

Now to sit back and see what happens this time too. :popcorn: That said, it would be great, should the Houston do the 'impossible', if Super Bowl LVIII showcases the NFL's two Texas franchises trying to win all the marbles. :laugh:

Zman5

Reaction score
I just want to remind everyone that I was the leader of get this bum out of here even when he was the OC. Back in the day when Hostile was all about him being the next Landry and a whole lot of others.

I was as well. I can still remember some of the heated arguments I had with Hostile and Idgit about JG.

BTW, whatever happened to Idgit?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Really interesting video. I doubt it changes anyone’s opinions as feelings on this topic seem to be really strong but I thought this was good info!
I would like to think Church's comments are most fans too. Ride the Dak momentum, something special is happening. Looking back, maybe should have gone with Romo.

If we had a stronger Head Coach like Parcells or Jimmy, I could live with it no matter what happened. They would have made sure the rookie was put in a position to win and if they had to make a move that was unpopular in the locker room, they could back it up.

They also would have produced a freaking defense like they gave Romo with his 3-4 in his Playoff Debuts or Aikman with Charles Haley as a cherry on top.

Church's comment and roll eyes about "Garrett and his leadership committees" tells me that players were running it same as 95 Team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So in other words, Dak won the total respect of his teammates rather than Romo lost it. No fault of Romo at all......just got caught in the middle of a perfect storm. But I do think we would have had a better chance of winning the playoff game with him and his experience.
It is apparent now that all those involved back then didnt see a difference between regular season and playoff games lol.
I think it is still the same :muttley:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dak threw for 302 yards and 3 TDs at 8 YPA in the 2016 playoff game. Romo wasn’t going to make a difference in that outcome. The game was lost because Garrett kicked two field goals on 4th and 1 with the best OL/RB in the league and our defense didn’t show up in the first half.

You should never lose a home playoff game scoring 30+ points
Not going on 4th and one with a prime Zeke and that OL is a fireable offense all by itself.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol

Yea ignore getting down 21-3. This is why “stats lie”
Did you even watch the game???

Maybe I should post it on here so you can watch and learn before posting. You will realize how badly those biased/crooked refs started helping out the Packers from the beginning to the end of the game.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Not going on 4th and one with a prime Zeke and that OL is a fireable offense all by itself.
No joke. Only freaking thing Garrett COULD bring was he knew what made him and Aikman win in the 90's. A damn good offensive line. And he can't even use it to his advantage. Although in his defense, times have changed pretty quickly on 4th down calls. I remember one of Aikman's recent shows talking about how Belichick was the pioneer of some of those aggressive 4th down calls, which wasn't all that long ago. Now it happens every week, especially with Coach Mac.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty silly to ignore this fact. Was it the defense’s fault. Partially. But it was also the offense’s fault for the standard 3 and outs and not maintaining possession long enough to put points on the board. Garbage time stats when the team is behind with little time left and the opposing D is playing soft is not something to advertise. Would Romo have a difference? It’s a moot point, but it’s likely he would’ve since he was the more experienced QB. Cowboy’s management got deluded with a win streak and not an objective assessment of football. It should never have been about Dak vs Romo, but about whether the team could’ve done better with the better and more experienced QB, all things being equal. And the what ifs based on that reality is what leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Dak was the potential future, but Romo was still there in the present.
How is coming back to tie the game late in the 4th quarter(a field goal tied it with 35 seconds left) considered "garbage time stats"?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Solid interview. It is a good thing having a lock room insider further confirm the short-term euphoria driven vision was immensely powerful that year. Jones was in lock step within the haze as well. 'Ride or Die' was, and very much still is, an apt description of the 2016 Dallas Cowboys season.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ride the Dak momentum, something special is happening. Looking back, maybe should have gone with Romo.
I was willing to ride Dak as far as his momentum took us but it was no surprise his inexperience showed up during the playoffs. THIS is where I truly thought they would turn to Romo if/when Dak started to struggle. In other words, Dak had won the job as the future starter. There was nothing wrong with benching him during a playoff game due to inexperience when you have an elite more experienced QB on the bench.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Ah.. the memories..... :muttley:

297x96.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Me and others on this site have told y’all this. Dez confirmed this awhile ago but maybe it sounds better coming from Church? They didn’t go back Romo because Dak won the locker room. He took his spot. Witten giving his blessing was the nail in the coffin.

That tells me this team wouldn’t have done anything if Romo stayed at qb because this team was willing to ride with a rookie over him.

dfense

Reaction score
So this is the litmus test for Dak and the Cowboys. The best defense this team has had in many years, with a coordinator who very well may be coaching his last few games with the Cowboys. A future HOF LT that is all but done. A possible defensive MVP and one of the best receivers in the game. Not to mention the best Dak has looked at the QB position in 8 years.

With little hope in site of a division title after losing to two AFC playoff teams in a row and luckily getting by Detroit on a ref miscue. The perfect storm of a Philly collapse and ref mistakes has gifted the Cowboys by pushing them into the #2 NFC seed and at least a couple home games where they have not lost in almost 2 years.

Talk about landing on your feet.

This is it. This is the Cowboys best shot in 27 years to get to the big game. I can't see them being better or things lining up more favorably next year than they are right now.