FEATURED Be a Cowboys fan (within the rules) the way you want

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I've been a fan for nearly 50 years. I don't need so called fans telling me to go find another team. I remember when this team meant excellence and it was well respected around the league. Other fans would envy us. Now they just laugh at us. So yea I'll continue to criticize Jerry and Son as long as I got breath in me. And yea it won't do any good but neither is living in a fantasy world where everything is wonderful.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
To a certain degree, I respectfully disagree, BH. You believe the great Coaches Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson would be okay with constant berating of their teams, coaches and players? I highly doubt it. Pretty sure they would tell those certain fans to go seek their happiness elsewhere or to come give it a try themselves if they thought they could do better.
It would depend on the reasoning behind the negativity. If there was even a hint of validity, the coaches you referenced would have used it as motivational fuel to correct course. I sincerely doubt we would see current levels of negativity if the team was winning championships like they were under Tom and Jimmy.

rambo2

Reaction score
I've been a fan for nearly 50 years. I don't need so called fans telling me to go find another team. I remember when this team meant excellence and it was well respected around the league. Other fans would envy us. Now they just laugh at us. So yea I'll continue to criticize Jerry and Son as long as I got breath in me. And yea it won't do any good but neither is living in a fantasy world where everything is wonderful.
Enjoy the season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nobody thought we were winning a Super Bowl in 1970 after the loss to the Cardinals. Did you?
Actually we didn’t win a Super Bowl that year. After 38-0 humiliating loss( which was our MNF debut) we did go on to the Super Bowl but we lost to Colts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea, all too often teams which hit bottom stay there for years instead of a quick turn around .
Yep. And tanking never works. Never. No matter how people feel winning 12 games three years straight is hard. To build up a culture of winning doesn’t happen from tanking. Texans didn’t tank and people called them stupid….had they tanked they’d have Bryce Young instead of Stroud.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t think you will have anyone get at you about Jerry. You’re preaching to the choir.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Nobody thought we were winning a Super Bowl in 1970 after the loss to the Cardinals. Did you?
That shows how little you know about the boys back then.
Doomsday ring a bell? There was a question about Craig Morton the QB but the team was certainly considered a contender
not like now

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
basic physical traits such as decent size and a good arm, its all about what is between the ears.
Bingo!!!!!! ....I personally think 75% of any NFL QB success comes from between the ears. Hell, every QB drafted can make NFL-type throws but the lack of intangibles is where they start dropping like flies. lol

gtb1943

Reaction score
el torro poo poo!! that stance is no better than the pom pom waving stance. Just because the cowboys haven't performed as well in the salary cap era and people still love them and are a year in and year out fan, And dont jump off the ledge because they didn't get to the championship game doesn't make them any less of a fan than you
Really? To me being a Cowboy fan is to expect to be contending every year.
TRYING at least
ANYONE thinking that this management is really trying to win a SB is delusional

gtb1943

Reaction score
I remember reading Steve Perkins book about the time leading up to the first SB and then the first SB win
He was a writer who traveled with the team and was there watching it all
The Cowboys were clearly contenders but could not seem to get over the hump.
Now of course from 65-67 that Hump WAS THE GB PACKERS and LOMBARDI
IT was after that that the fans were not happy with not winning it all; but to claim we were NOT in the hunt is BS
Now it is true it took a HOF QB to lead us over the hump but at the same time that team had tremendous talent
Lets be honest here: The Cowboys team of the early 80's had tremendous talent; three straight NFC Championship games 80-82
we could not get over the hump. Many blame Danny White
BUT then we had a HOF coach and a front office that was one of the best in the league

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
:thumbup:

rambo2

Reaction score
I remember reading Steve Perkins book about the time leading up to the first SB and then the first SB win
He was a writer who traveled with the team and was there watching it all
The Cowboys were clearly contenders but could not seem to get over the hump.
Now of course from 65-67 that Hump WAS THE GB PACKERS and LOMBARDI
IT was after that that the fans were not happy with not winning it all; but to claim we were NOT in the hunt is BS
Now it is true it took a HOF QB to lead us over the hump but at the same time that team had tremendous talent
Lets be honest here: The Cowboys team of the early 80's had tremendous talent; three straight NFC Championship games 80-82
we could not get over the hump. Many blame Danny White
BUT then we had a HOF coach and a front office that was one of the best in the league
We are in the hunt now too. It will be funny if our current coach wins another Super Bowl and goes to the HOF.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
Damn it, man! You did it again! No argument here. I'm extremely uneasy with agreeing with you so emphatically. :thumbup:

rags747

Reaction score
I’m going to say that Duane Thomas became the full time starter after that Cardinals game, I believe it was vs the Giants. Long long time ago for these memory banks!