Beginning of the End

shabazz

Reaction score
Who wanted? Troy Aikman, who wanted Stepnowski who wanted Emmett?
Every team in the NFL that needed a Qb or RB wanted Troy and Emmitt

You don't really believe that these were hidden gems that Jerry discovered, right?

I will however give full credit to Jerry for Quincy., Ryan Leaf, Weeden and Trey Lance.....I know i missed some other gems too.

Oh yeah, Romo and Dak with their combined 4-9 playoff record

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
And Jimmy accomplished nothing in Miami. They needed each other. Without a salary cap.
It would be great if someone asked Jerry - Ever since the league decided everyone had to play under the same rules, you've never won ANYTHING Why do you think that is?

His head would explode.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In March 1994, after the Cowboys had won their second Super Bowl under Johnson, Jones angered Johnson when he told reporters that any coach could have led the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. They agreed to part ways on March 28, 1994, with Johnson getting a $2 million bonus.
30 years later it's time to get over it. There is nothing new about the story to tell, and that is in the past. What we need to be worried about is what needs to be done going forward. Jimmy likely wouldn't have stayed much longer anyway - he says so himself, and his history as a head coach reflects that as well.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
All you have to do is watch the Troy Aikman football life with regards to the last Superbowl..... It was Troy Aikman that pulled that team over the finish line.....Even Michael Irvin and Moose Johnston acknowledge what Troy was going through, Switzer didn't think he should hold players accountable because in his words, they were men....I have a whole new respect for Troy Aikman after watching that Football life..
Only idiots like Jerry would say Barry Switzer took the team and won the SB. The team was on auto pilot with the same nucleus of players assembled by Jimmy. The team carried Switzer over the finish line. Aikman was even pissed with Switzer for not getting more involved.

This team was Jimmy’s team. We’ve all seen what Jerry himself can do. Three decades, and squat.

Flamma

Reaction score
In March 1994, after the Cowboys had won their second Super Bowl under Johnson, Jones angered Johnson when he told reporters that any coach could have led the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. They agreed to part ways on March 28, 1994, with Johnson getting a $2 million bonus.
Anybody couldn't build that team. Besides, Jimmy was 3-0 against the 49ers, Barry was 0-3. Once the team Jimmy built dissolved, it was over.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Can we just skip to the end of the end??? It's been 29 years.
^^^^^^^^ What he said!^^^^^^^^^ and that's the point. He hired one good coach... Bill Parcells - who many think, including myself, would have brought us to another SB but Jerry interfered and the rest is history. 29 years.

leeblair

Reaction score
And then Barry Switzer took them for another ring . So was Jerry right anybody could take these Cowboys to another Super Bowl
But it showed that not just anybody could have built that team.
The Cowboys disintegrated under Jerry's rule and even in the final Super Bowl win weren't the same team as they were under Johnson.
Ernie Zampesie was a walking disaster for the offense.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Cowboys were actually somewhere middle of the road with total team salary back in 1992 and 1993.
They were like 17th in salary cap in the league.
I just saw that posted on the board somewhere.
Also, I think the next 2 super bowl winners were over the cap.

Fmart322

Reaction score
The beginning of the end was when we started losing a lot of key role players to free agency and our great core players began to decline. That’s the beginning of the end for every great team.
To bad free agency didn't start for another 5 years.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Every team in the NFL that needed a Qb or RB wanted Troy and Emmitt

You don't really believe that these were hidden gems that Jerry discovered, right?

I will however give full credit to Jerry for Quincy., Ryan Leaf, Weeden and Trey Lance.....I know i missed some other gems too.

Oh yeah, Romo and Dak with their combined 4-9 playoff record
Emmitt did get passed by 16 other teams so not everyone wanted him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To bad free agency didn't start for another 5 years.
Lucky it didn’t start a year or two sooner. Wish free agency wouldn’t have started until the later 90s.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy is also on record that he was ready to leave anyway. He has always had a bit of wanderlust in him.
Exactly. He was a head coach 4 times in his career and never stayed anywhere longer than 5 years

jgboys1

Reaction score
Yes.....Jerry gets credit for hiring a college coach that had his pulse on the draft and for signing the checks

Vikings get credit for being fools
Yeap, it was a perfect storm. Jimmy leaving college and going to the pros was at the perfect time.
His teams played against many of players he was scouting and drafting. Add to that a bunch of high draft picks spread over 3 or 4 seasons and you have the makings of a dynasty.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Exactly. He was a head coach 4 times in his career and never stayed anywhere longer than 5 years
You can’t tell me that with two Super Bowls back to back he wouldn’t have wanted three or four or five back to back

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t tell me that with two Super Bowls back to back he wouldn’t have wanted three or four or five back to back
I'm not saying he wouldn't have stayed at least one more season, but Jimmy himself has said he wasn't going to stay much longer. Jimmy seemed to thrive on building up teams/programs, but never showed much desire to fight the battle to sustain them. And, realistically, Jimmy likely wasn't counting on 4-5 back to back. He may well have liked the idea of going out on top knowing that it would eventually come to an end.