Beginning of the End

Creeper

Reaction score
And then Barry Switzer took them for another ring . So was Jerry right anybody could take these Cowboys to another Super Bowl
He probably was right because that team had leaders on the field. But what Jerry forgot is not every coach could keep them there. He soon found out that Jimmy was more than just a coach. He was their best talent evaluator, and he did not tolerate players making dumb mistakes in games.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
And then Barry Switzer took them for another ring . So was Jerry right anybody could take these Cowboys to another Super Bowl
Only because these were Jimmy's players and those players learned a lot from Jimmy and were able to pretty much coach themselves once Barry the Clown took over. JJ could have saved himself a bunch of money because the Boys didn't need any direction from any coaches in their drive for 5.............

plasticman

Reaction score
They would have won four in a row if Jimmy Johnson had still been there....without destroying their future with Dieon's contract,

Jones said that 500 coaches could take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. They lost the 1994 NFC championship game in the 1st quarter. This is why I used to refer to Switzer as "Coach 501".

The losing teams in the conference championship games coached in the Pro Bowl so there was Switzer, sitting on a bench, gobbling down a hotdog.

In 1995, Aikman would complain to Jery Jones that Switzer's practices were too easy. That season Switzer was busted trying to bring a handgun aboard a flight.

fivetwos

Reaction score
My source is Jimmy Johnson himself saying I was not going to play those players. Read a book. Jerry wanted Emmett. So my point again is they both built that Super Bowl team. Jimmy was the disciplinarian.
Just saw this now. I read his book.

Maybe you’re confusing that with players that came from Minnesota that were tied to draft picks if they didn’t stick. Darren Nelson, Jesse Solomon and one other, a guy named Stewart I think. Ike Holt was kept. Yes, he said he was not about to not collect the draft picks by keeping those players.

Are you saying he was trying to lose on purpose? The first rounder was already gone, and the losing was killing him. Exactly how much better would the 1989 team have been if he played those players instead of taking the picks? Not to mention several key players drafted later wouldn’t have been there if that were the case.

He also described exactly how that deal came about during morning jogs with his assistants. Jerry wasn’t there.

Jimmy wanted James Francis in the 1990 draft, settled on Emmitt.

There was also a documentary that mentioned the Tony Casillas trade and Jerry taking credit for it although he had nothing to do with it. It was in Jimmys contract that he had full control over personnel.

The rest of it comes from the same book that you claim to have read and decided to assume that I did not.

You either remember it wrong or are calling him a liar.

Jerry Jones had zero to do with personnel when Jimmy was there. His word is good enough for me but go ahead and believe what you like. I’ll do the same.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just saw this now. I read his book.

Maybe you’re confusing that with players that came from Minnesota that were tied to draft picks if they didn’t stick. Darren Nelson, Jesse Solomon and one other, a guy named Stewart I think. Ike Holt was kept. Yes, he said he was not about to not collect the draft picks by keeping those players.

Are you saying he was trying to lose on purpose? The first rounder was already gone, and the losing was killing him. Exactly how much better would the 1989 team have been if he played those players instead of taking the picks? Not to mention several key players drafted later wouldn’t have been there if that were the case.

He also described exactly how that deal came about during morning jogs with his assistants. Jerry wasn’t there.

Jimmy wanted James Francis in the 1990 draft, settled on Emmitt.

There was also a documentary that mentioned the Tony Casillas trade and Jerry taking credit for it although he had nothing to do with it. It was in Jimmys contract that he had full control over personnel.

The rest of it comes from the same book that you claim to have read and decided to assume that I did not.

You either remember it wrong or are calling him a liar.

Jerry Jones had zero to do with personnel when Jimmy was there. His word is good enough for me but go ahead and believe what you like. I’ll do the same.
That’s what I’m talking about, the players that came from Minnesota. He refused to play them on purpose. they would’ve helped the team win and he wasn’t going to allow that.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They would have won four in a row if Jimmy Johnson had still been there....without destroying their future with Dieon's contract,

Jones said that 500 coaches could take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. They lost the 1994 NFC championship game in the 1st quarter. This is why I used to refer to Switzer as "Coach 501".

The losing teams in the conference championship games coached in the Pro Bowl so there was Switzer, sitting on a bench, gobbling down a hotdog.

In 1995, Aikman would complain to Jery Jones that Switzer's practices were too easy. That season Switzer was busted trying to bring a handgun aboard a flight.
Speculation four rings

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Agreed. And it is obvious that the sun is setting on Jerry Jones. Frankly, it’s his wealth and the fact he is surrounded by sycophants and yes men that have allowed him to carry on the charade that he knows how to be a serious general manager of an NFL team.

Without Will McClay and the giant brand that is the Cowboys, Jerry would have never lasted this long pretending that he is a football man. He is a business genius who has increased the value and visibility of the Cowboys and the NFL. But the last three decades have proven without a doubt that in the cap era, he does not know how to build a roster that is capable of winning anything more than an occasional wild card game.

Frankly, if Jerry had bought the Browns or the jaguars, he would never have been this successful. When he bought the Cowboys, they had already been “America’s Team” for a decade. Yes, he has made this franchise infinitely more valuable. But without Jimmy Johnson, I’m convinced we would have never won a single SB in the 90s.
:hammer:Spot on as usual. Funny how some people try to create a saga around Jimmy and Jerry just to feel good about today's DC org. Jerry's $$ is all that he contributed to the success of the team. The day Jimmy told the Dallas media (during a live radio broadcast), "Put it in 3-inch headlines, the DC will win against the 9ers", He had Texas size nads to say it and owned the spotlight in North Texas ever since. Jerry's ego couldn't handle it and mettled in the Lockeroom which was Jimmys place. Jimmy saw the writing on the wall and took the high road to say he was leaving anyway. We had a 3, prob 4 SB run in a row bagged and Jerry screwed up the team. The rest is a historical 30-year slide in clownville.

Mark

Reaction score
Fact is that teams have harvested a number of first rd picks; usually when someone is desperate for a QB
as far as I know, none of those teams that got those picks have won a SB
I'd submit that using a first-round draft pick on a QB is a waste, as often as not. The Cowboys got extremely lucky with Aikman.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jimmy is also on record that he was ready to leave anyway. He has always had a bit of wanderlust in him.
"It was a mutual breakup."

Does anyone take this seriously?

Johnson was a year away from a threepeat that would establish him as one of the all time great HCs, but really just preferred to go fishing instead.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And Jimmy accomplished nothing in Miami. They needed each other. Without a salary cap.
I give Jerry absolutely no credit for any of those championships, Jimmy built those teams and Barry barley won with the most talented team in the NFL that Jimmy put together.

Jimmy didn't have huge success in Miami. He wanted to do the same rebuild thing Like he did in Dallas, using a Marino trade instead of Herschel Walker to rebuild. The owner over rode that decision so he fulfilled his contract and retired.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Every team in the NFL that needed a Qb or RB wanted Troy and Emmitt

You don't really believe that these were hidden gems that Jerry discovered, right?

I will however give full credit to Jerry for Quincy., Ryan Leaf, Weeden and Trey Lance.....I know i missed some other gems too.

Oh yeah, Romo and Dak with their combined 4-9 playoff record
Whether we like it or not Jerry gets some credit for those rings. He hired Jimmy he wrote the checks for those key decisions that were made.

His ego got in the way then and ended a good thing early, we should have won 5 SB's in a row, and his ego still in the way today.

bigE79

Reaction score
In March 1994, after the Cowboys had won their second Super Bowl under Johnson, Jones angered Johnson when he told reporters that any coach could have led the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. They agreed to part ways on March 28, 1994, with Johnson getting a $2 million bonus.
This is the end,my only friend,the end ,of our elaborate plan,the end,this is the end...

plasticman

Reaction score
Speculation four rings
It always is.

Would you agree with the statement that the Cowboys would have had a better chance of winning the SB in 1994 had Jimmy been their HC?

They lost the NFC championship game because they were not prepared for the intensity of a game like that. They turned the ball over three times in rapid succession in the 1st quarter and fell behind. It was 21-0 before the end of that quarter.