Beginning of the End

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Let it go. Has nothing to do with 2024. Do you think he would've been here till this day?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we just skip to the end of the end??? It's been 29 years.
Agreed. And it is obvious that the sun is setting on Jerry Jones. Frankly, it’s his wealth and the fact he is surrounded by sycophants and yes men that have allowed him to carry on the charade that he knows how to be a serious general manager of an NFL team.

Without Will McClay and the giant brand that is the Cowboys, Jerry would have never lasted this long pretending that he is a football man. He is a business genius who has increased the value and visibility of the Cowboys and the NFL. But the last three decades have proven without a doubt that in the cap era, he does not know how to build a roster that is capable of winning anything more than an occasional wild card game.

Frankly, if Jerry had bought the Browns or the jaguars, he would never have been this successful. When he bought the Cowboys, they had already been “America’s Team” for a decade. Yes, he has made this franchise infinitely more valuable. But without Jimmy Johnson, I’m convinced we would have never won a single SB in the 90s.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Lucky it didn’t start a year or two sooner. Wish free agency wouldn’t have started until the later 90s.
That's what I'm saying. Just imagine that Cowboys squad, loaded with top end talent and Jimmy still the head coach.
It would have been more dominant then then Lombardi's Packers in the 60s.

CWR

Reaction score
And then Barry Switzer took them for another ring . So was Jerry right anybody could take these Cowboys to another Super Bowl
He was halfway there. The team Jimmy built was that good, but he had also already installed a culture and developed his players. Maybe any coach could've won with that team, but Jerry left out the fact the team wouldn't be what it was without our coach to begin with.

RD21

Reaction score
But without Jimmy Johnson, I’m convinced we would have never won a single SB in the 90s.
Agreed. Jimmy Johnson was the right guy at the right time. Jerry Jones was the right owner at the right time.

They were a great team. In that Jimmy knew football, & had all the contacts out of college fresh off winning a National Championship at Miami. Jimmy knew the talent pool, what was coming, & had great contacts there. Jerry had that swagger of a guy who didn't mind taking risks, & was willing to do whatever it took to succeed. They were a great team, dare say perfect for one another.

We all know what happened. Ego. Ego cost the fans 4, possibly 5 Championships in a row.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Agreed. Jimmy Johnson was the right guy at the right time. Jerry Jones was the right owner at the right time.

They were a great team. In that Jimmy knew football, & had all the contacts out of college fresh off winning a National Championship at Miami. Jimmy knew the talent pool, what was coming, & had great contacts there. Jerry had that swagger of a guy who didn't mind taking risks, & was willing to do whatever it took to succeed. They were a great team, dare say perfect for one another.

We all know what happened. Ego. Ego cost the fans 4, possibly 5 Championships in a row.
Jerry was determined to derail the dynasty. he almost did at the beginning of 1993 by screwing over Emmitt Smith. Charles Haley got in Jerry's face and scared him into doing the right thing. Haley doing that is what assured us of another SB because the Cowboys were so damn good that year that they likely go undefeated had Jerry not screwed around with signing Emmitt. Once Emmitt was signed the team smoked the league with ease.

Jerry found a new way to derail the dynasty, this time with success - fire Jimmy Johnson. That cost us at least 4 in a row, and the status as the undisputed greatest NFL team ever.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the Cowboys are about to go down a notch moving forward. Jerry locked in a core that shhh the sleep number bed vs the Packers, I know, brilliant work. So much money is tied up Fans don't even have the hope of a rebuild.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All you have to do is watch the Troy Aikman football life with regards to the last Superbowl..... It was Troy Aikman that pulled that team over the finish line.....Even Michael Irvin and Moose Johnston acknowledge what Troy was going through, Switzer didn't think he should hold players accountable because in his words, they were men....I have a whole new respect for Troy Aikman after watching that Football life..
Actually, actually, it was Deion Sanders with that Great catch he started it off

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All you have to do is watch the Troy Aikman football life with regards to the last Superbowl..... It was Troy Aikman that pulled that team over the finish line.....Even Michael Irvin and Moose Johnston acknowledge what Troy was going through, Switzer didn't think he should hold players accountable because in his words, they were men....I have a whole new respect for Troy Aikman after watching that Football life..
I read the book

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But it showed that not just anybody could have built that team.
The Cowboys disintegrated under Jerry's rule and even in the final Super Bowl win weren't the same team as they were under Johnson.
Ernie Zampesie was a walking disaster for the offense.
Yeah, but you’re not allowed to discipline the babies anymore

fivetwos

Reaction score
People don’t want to admit that Jimmy, basically cheated and admitted it ,refused to play players, so he would lose the first season on purpose to get more draft picks. If that was today’s NFL he would’ve lost draft picks. He would’ve been penalized.
I don’t come here to argue so I usually just blow past comments like this, but when did he admit “cheating?”

How did he “refuse to pay players” four years before free agency started?

If he was trying to lose on purpose, why would he use a supplemental draft pick that turned out to be first overall?

Also if “Jerry helped build the roster,” you’re calling Jimmy Johnson a complete liar, and why has Jerry not been able to do it again in three decades since?

Eddie

Reaction score
We saw that while it was unfolding back in the mid 90's. What a mess.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t come here to argue so I usually just blow past comments like this, but when did he admit “cheating?”

If he was trying to lose on purpose, why would he use a supplemental draft pick that turned out to be first overall?

Also if “Jerry helped build the roster,” you’re calling Jimmy Johnson a complete liar, and why has Jerry not been able to do it again in three decades since?
He refused to play players not pay them

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You should know more about cowboy history. Jimmy didn’t want Troy Aikman Jerry did. Same with Emmett.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
If Jimmy had stayed, we win 4 straight Super Bowls. After that, the wheels were coming off regardless. The problem is that Jerry doesn't want a hard coach who will take the credit. That's why we aren't sitting here today with two more rings, and why we likely won't see another for the next 5-6 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He refused to play players not pay them
Ok my fault on that, but still….who exactly did he refuse to play and how do you know this?

You’re saying the 89 team he inherited had great players that he purposely benched to get a higher draft pick that he already gave away?

fivetwos

Reaction score
You should know more about cowboy history. Jimmy didn’t want Troy Aikman Jerry did. Same with Emmett.
I know PLENTY about Cowboys history and recall that period very well.

Jimmy Johnson had conversations with his staff about potentially taking Mandarich, as he should have….there’s nothing out there that says he “didn’t want” Aikman.

Yeah he had his doubts afterward, but that had nothing to do with drafting him in the first place.

Jimmy wanted James Francis, not Emmitt. That much I know because of what what was reported. I doubt Jerry Jones knew who James Francis was.

What are your sources for this other than what you’d like to believe?

I wasn’t there either, so just go ahead and say that Jimmy Johnson is a complete liar as to how he described the events of the time. Didn’t answer that part.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know PLENTY about Cowboys history and recall that period very well.

Jimmy Johnson had conversations with his staff about potentially taking Mandarich, as he should have….there’s nothing out there that says he “didn’t want” Aikman.

Yeah he had his doubts afterward, but that had nothing to do with drafting him in the first place.

Jimmy wanted James Francis, not Emmitt. That much I know because of what what was reported. I doubt Jerry Jones knew who James Francis was.

What are your sources for this other than what you’d like to believe?

I wasn’t there either, so just go ahead and say that Jimmy Johnson is a complete liar as to how he described the events of the time. Didn’t answer that part.
My source is Jimmy Johnson himself saying I was not going to play those players. Read a book. Jerry wanted Emmett. So my point again is they both built that Super Bowl team. Jimmy was the disciplinarian.