Best All time Movie Villains

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I felt the same way the first time I saw it and I think it was Sharon Stone in the lead was hard to believe and unless it's Cowboys v Aliens, I take my Westerns seriously. I watched it again and came away feeling completely different and she was very good in it as was Hackman, DiCaprio, Crowe and when isn't Lance Henriksen not a major hoot in any movie. It was an interesting plot and the holy grail of all gunfighter movies with gunfights a plenty, which is what I watch gunfight movies for and do not like having to wait until the end. That's why I like Eastwood's spaghetti Westerns, gets to the killing quickly. Don't make me wait for blood, I get antsy.
This sums it up way better than I did. Excellent post there @CouchCoach

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A couple of the most interesting and creepy villains ever …

Marlon Brando as Robert Lee Clayton - The Missouri Breaks
Macolm McDowell as Alex - A Clockwork Orange

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
A few that come to mind that haven't been mentioned:

Roy Batty - Blade Runner
Nurse Ratched - On flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Tommy DeVitto - Goodfellas
Patrick Bateman - American Psycho
Frank Costello - The Departed

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I take my Westerns seriously. That's why I like Eastwood's spaghetti Westerns, gets to the killing quickly. Don't make me wait for blood, I get antsy.

Sorry for the partial quote, but these lines lead me to ask your thoughts on an age old question in my household - Eastwood or Wayne?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few that come to mind that haven't been mentioned:

Roy Batty - Blade Runner
Nurse Ratched - On flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Tommy DeVitto - Goodfellas
Patrick Bateman - American Psycho
Frank Costello - The Departed

Nurse Ratched - that's a good one

quickccc

Reaction score
Sorry for the partial quote, but these lines lead me to ask your thoughts on an age old question in my household - Eastwood or Wayne?

Assuming this is more towards Western. it's easily Eastwood with me.
he was more in my age era, when his movies hit the TV screen,
With that cool poncho cloak around his neck, the patented cigar, and who can forget that ever classic Music score from His G-B-Ugly, Dollars trilogy ?

if its not just the westerns, then that's all the more further with Eastwood as how can the Duke compete with both " Blondie" poncho,.. and Dirty Harry ? ;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I know you asked someone else, but I would like to respond.

I cut my teeth on Eastwood and therefore I take Eastwood. I know a lot of people that are older than I. They tend to learn towards Wayne. (at least half of them do anyhow)

I suspect it's because all his movies (or at least 90% of them, his last was 1976 when I was 3 years old) were before my time and and I'm just out of touch with his movies and movies of that generation. I grew up in the late 70s-90s. Eastwood was still on the big screen when I was growing up. Heck, I really didn't even watch TV shows from before the 70s when I was growing up. (My Three Sons, etc. Change the channel!) The only shows I probably seen more than 15 episodes from that was pre-70s was probably I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched and that was only because my sister was older and could kick my *** when I was really young.

quickccc

Reaction score
It's just a good movie. Not to mention it had a lot of stars and some before they were stars. (hence why it's a spaghetti western)

The movie reminds me of a good poker game. It's a spaghetti western, so you can't expect it to be a polished Hollywood film, yet it was still pretty good. Almost like a western comic book made into a movie.

Quick and the Dead (Sam Raimi's version) is one of my all time favorite spaghetti westerns. I've asked around about it, and a couple thought it was just too over the top campy and zany in spots,
like the Russell Crowe vs Spotted Horse battle, the flippy camera action or the final battle with Hackman at the end where it's not explanatory how Stone can gun- beat a lightning fast legendary quick draw like Hackman.
But I really that kind of format brought into a western film, plus the intriguing characters brought to the gun fight contest, and retired and revenge factors.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
like the Russell Crowe vs Spotted Horse battle, the flippy camera action or the final battle with Hackman at the end where it's not explanatory how Stone can gun- beat a lightning fast legendary quick draw like Hackman.
But I really that kind of format brought into a western film, plus the intriguing characters brought to the gun fight contest, and retired and revenge factors.
Exactly. These are reasons I said it's almost like a western comic book made into a movie.

timb2

Reaction score
1-Lawrence Olivia in Marathon Man
2-The Hillbillies in Deliverance
3-The Dutch Man in Hostel
4-Alan Rickman in Die Hard
5-Darth Vader in Star Wars
6-Luther in The Warriors
7-Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight
8-Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs
9-Anthony Perkins in Psycho
10-King Edward the 1st in Braveheart

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I cut my teeth on Eastwood and therefore I take Eastwood. I know a lot of people that are older than I. They tend to learn towards Wayne. (at least half of them do anyhow)

I suspect it's because all his movies (or at least 90% of them, his last was 1976 when I was 3 years old) were before my time and and I'm just out of touch with his movies and movies of that generation. I grew up in the late 70s-90s. Eastwood was still on the big screen when I was growing up. Heck, I really didn't even watch TV shows from before the 70s when I was growing up. (My Three Sons, etc. Change the channel!) The only shows I probably seen more than 15 episodes from that was pre-70s was probably I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched and that was only because my sister was older and could kick my *** when I was really young.

You are definitely right that age does color how one feels on this topic. I grew up more on Wayne, although the Eastwood spaghetti westerns and similar movies were out while I was still young. I lean toward Wayne, but I love those old Eastwood movies too. The Outlaw Josie Wales is one of my favorite movies. Part of what was so endearing about Wayne though was that he so often played characters that were the good guy - the hero you couldn't help but admire - the American with the sense of justice and what's right and wrong. He had the attitude men wanted to see in themselves, and the values women admired. Of course, that was a different time.

quickccc

Reaction score

I grew up and liked the Bewitched/Dream of Jennie, and even Brady Bunch era too. but even as a little kid, you couldn't get me to watch My Three Sons, That Girl, the Partridge Family,Mary Tyler Moore, or even Dennis the Menace. Not even Little House on the Praire ...and definitely not the Waltons !
As a kid some of those retro shows just couldn't attract or appeal to me.

But there was always my great vintage favorites like the Beverly Hillbillies, Leave it to Beaver, Gillian Island, and the Munsters that I could never, never miss..i was even (and still am) so very stuck to the Flintstones ,and still am .before eventual shows like Good Times, Sanford & Son, All in the Family, - and 80's with 3 company, Love Boat, Starsky Hutch, the Nightstalker, Fantasy Island, .. and Charlies Angels and Incredible Hulk.. lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Assuming this is more towards Western. it's easily Eastwood with me.
he was more in my age era, when his movies hit the TV screen,
With that cool poncho cloak around his neck, the patented cigar, and who can forget that ever classic Music score from His G-B-Ugly, Dollars trilogy ?

if its not just the westerns, then that's all the more further with Eastwood as how can the Duke compete with both " Blondie" poncho,.. and Dirty Harry ? ;)

Yeah, I was really talking about the westerns, and I can see how with the westerns it could be a tough question, and like you suggested, the era you grew up in can have an influence on how you feel. I love both, but John Wayne was more prominent in my younger impressionable years. As for non-westerns, John Wayne can easily compete with Eastwood with military movies, but when it comes to the city cop Eastwood takes that genre by an easy margin,

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I grew up and liked the Bewitched/Dream of Jennie, and even Brady Bunch era too. but even as a little kid, you couldn't get me to watch My Three Sons, That Girl, the Partridge Family,Mary Tyler Moore, or even Dennis the Menace. Not even Little House on the Praire ...and definitely not the Waltons !

But there was always my great vintage favorites like the Beverly Hillbillies, Leave it to Beaver, Gillian Island, and the Munsters that I could never, never miss..i was even (and still am) so very stuck to the Flintstones ,and still am .before eventual shows like Good Times, Sanford & Son, All in the Family, - and 80's with 3 company, Love Boat, Starsky Hutch, the Nightstalker, Fantasy Island, .. and Charlies Angels and Incredible Hulk.. lol

What about The Wild, Wild West? That was one of my favorites as a kid. I liked the original Star Trek too. I liked liked some of the sitcoms too, including some you mentioned (Beverly Hillbillies, I dream of Jeanie, Leave it to Beaver, Gilligan's Island) etc ..), but by the time the 80's cam around, and I was in my upper teens and 20's, I was pretty tired of most sitcoms. Really most network TV in general.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Actually, your lists are pretty spot on. I didn't even think about the Hillbilies, Leave it to Beaver, or even Gillian's Island and the Musters. I watch all of those pre 70s shows. As for your "Hell no I won't watch" I was the same way. Everytime the Partridge Family came on I was like, "Why in hell would anyone want to watch that garbage'

I did watch Dennis the Menace though. That and Mr Ed. lol