Big 12 future looks bright without TX & OU

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Big 12 doesn’t have to wait to see what the future looks like with Ok St and Baylor playing for conference championship. The first time in 16 years someone not named Texas or Oklahoma participated.

The last one was 1998. This will be the 20th Big 12 championship game , the 5th since it was reinstated in 2017 after a 6 year hiatus.

New additions BYU, Central Florida , Cincinnati and Houston could be part of the Big 12 before TX and OU are gone . BYU will join in 2023 and the rest by 2024.

There was plenty of speculation the Big 12 was doomed when it’s two storied football schools left but having two other schools participate should change that perception especially with 2 top 10 teams Baylor #9 and #5 Cowboys still in position for playoffs .

Having 3 of the future teams in the top 25 with potential of 2 being in playoffs with Cincinnati and OK ST certainly bodes well for the future of Big 12. Currently there are 5 teams in the top 16 from what will be the new Big 12 including Cincinnati at #3, BYU #12 and Houston #16.

terra

Reaction score
Its possible you are correct but give it say 10 years before you start crowing.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Big 12 is going to be fine.
Getting back to 12 was key. It makes scheduling far more friendly to rankings.
As the SEC knows playing each other less means less losses.
Cincy and HOU are solid programs with solid recruiting bases.
Houston is a top 5 recruiting market.
BYU is a national brand with viewers and recruits.
UCF is the largest school in the country with ~72K students.

The Big 12 were idiots not to add teams previously and getting the money obsessed OUT teams out of the way will likely be beneficial for the league in the long haul.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Big 12 doesn’t have to wait to see what the future looks like with Ok St and Baylor playing for conference championship. The first time in 16 years someone not named Texas or Oklahoma participated.

The last one was 1998. This will be the 20th Big 12 championship game , the 5th since it was reinstated in 2017 after a 6 year hiatus.

New additions BYU, Central Florida , Cincinnati and Houston could be part of the Big 12 before TX and OU are gone . BYU will join in 2023 and the rest by 2024.

There was plenty of speculation the Big 12 was doomed when it’s two storied football schools left but having two other schools participate should change that perception especially with 2 top 10 teams Baylor #9 and #5 Cowboys still in position for playoffs .

Having 3 of the future teams in the top 25 with potential of 2 being in playoffs with Cincinnati and OK ST certainly bodes well for the future of Big 12. Currently there are 5 teams in the top 16 from what will be the new Big 12 including Cincinnati at #3, BYU #12 and Houston #16.

Central Florida and Cincy are flash in the pans. When they have to play Nebraska, Iowa, and OSU every year, they won't be looking at undefeated seasons. Point is, you can't replace OU and Texas by merging with the AAC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Central Florida and Cincy are flash in the pans. When they have to play Nebraska, Iowa, and OSU every year, they won't be looking at undefeated seasons. Point is, you can't replace OU and Texas by merging with the AAC.
Don’t have to replace them to remain legit. We did just find this year without either of them in championship game.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t have to replace them to remain legit. We did just find this year without either of them in championship game.

Thats fine but the conferences money comes from TV contracts. The schools you are importing don't have the collective fan base of UT let alone UT and OU. So, the conference will survive but it won't be as appealing to TV.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats fine but the conferences money comes from TV contracts. The schools you are importing don't have the collective fan base of UT let alone UT and OU. So, the conference will survive but it won't be as appealing to TV.
That’s not a concern to me.

My only interest is keeping the Big 12 a Power 5 conference which I believe they have achieved.

My hope is adding the additional teams back to 12 could be close to that revenue but again couldn’t care less. Unless it effects their standing within the Power 5 allegiance.

We might even add more teams moving forward . And I hope we’ve secured the conference moving forward now that all of the big selfish dogs are gone .

Screw em and hope they never see the daylight of a championship again. Enjoy your time in SEC. Lol

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not a concern to me.

My only interest is keeping the Big 12 a Power 5 conference which I believe they have achieved.

My hope is adding the additional teams back to 12 could be close to that revenue but again couldn’t care less. Unless it effects their standing within the Power 5 allegiance.

We might even add more teams moving forward . And I hope we’ve secured the conference moving forward now that all of the big selfish dogs are gone .

Screw em and hope they never see the daylight of a championship again. Enjoy your time in SEC. Lol

I'm a college football fanatic and went to a pac 10 school. I think OU and Texas moving into the SEC was incredibly dumb and , IMO, it cost OU their head coach. Texas will be fighting with Arkansas and Mississippi State to stay out of cellar of the SEC West.

StylisticS

Reaction score
As been said before, Texas and OU were never going to stay in the big 12. The writing has been on the wall for a decade unless another big name team with big revenue came into the conference. If Nebraska came back in, I imagine Texas and OU would have stayed. Texas and OU will be fine. They will still recruit well as you can see today. It’s all about player development at these schools.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think every season the odds of conferences sending a team(s) to the CFP, unless they add more teams, is going to rank SEC, Big 10, ACC, Pac 12 and Big 12. Adding teams is the best way for the Big 12 to get a team(s) into the CFP.

OU is the only team that has sniffed the CFP and to the casual fan mention Cincinnati up against OU and UT and they go "huh"? OU and UT were the dogs of the Big 12, all the other schools were the tails.

Big 12 fans can hold onto their loyalty but this is not going to be a sexy Power 5. The PAC 12 barely is.

If a kid is a 4 or 5 start with his sights set on the NFL, the Big 12 is not his first choice unless there is a personal reason for picking one of the schools. It is still all about Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, maybe Clemson rebounds and Kelly and Riley could bring UCLA and USC back. Losing OU and UT was a huge loss for the Big 12.

But that only means something to the CFP. Hell, if the old SWC was still around, I would still be a loyal fan.

The real game is the TV money and I do not see the change in the Big 12 being a positive for them. The big dogs always eat first and OU and UT were the only big dogs in the Big 12.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think every season the odds of conferences sending a team(s) to the CFP, unless they add more teams, is going to rank SEC, Big 10, ACC, Pac 12 and Big 12. Adding teams is the best way for the Big 12 to get a team(s) into the CFP.

OU is the only team that has sniffed the CFP and to the casual fan mention Cincinnati up against OU and UT and they go "huh"? OU and UT were the dogs of the Big 12, all the other schools were the tails.

Big 12 fans can hold onto their loyalty but this is not going to be a sexy Power 5. The PAC 12 barely is.

If a kid is a 4 or 5 start with his sights set on the NFL, the Big 12 is not his first choice unless there is a personal reason for picking one of the schools. It is still all about Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, maybe Clemson rebounds and Kelly and Riley could bring UCAL and USC back. Losing OU and UT was a huge loss for the Big 12.

But that only means something to the CFP. Hell, if the old SWC was still around, I would still be a loyal fan.

The real game is the TV money and I do not see the change in the Big 12 being a positive for them. The big dogs always eat first and OU and UT were the only big dogs in the Big 12.
Some of these talents won’t be recognized if they aren’t playing and starting. Would you rather be on the bench in Fayetteville or starting in Waco? Hard to get the scouts attention on the bench.

Everyone realizes the tout the SEC has but miraculously other players are being drafted from other conferences.

And no one is discounting what Texas and OU meant as far as credibility since name recognition is so important in NCAA regardless whether Texas has been an average team last decade +.

But life goes on and we’ll make the best of it. The Big 12 will survive much to the dismay of the schools who left. The way I see it is some of the remaining schools will have a better shot of making the playoffs than they did before if they can go undefeated. If not , winning national championships in football isn’t something we expect to do anyway.

We’re just pleased we are keeping the remaining teams together for which we’ve built long standing traditions and look forward to building new ones. And applaud teams who want to be in same conference. We wish those others well and hope they enjoy their time in the SEC.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

If a kid is a 4 or 5 start with his sights set on the NFL, the Big 12 is not his first choice unless there is a personal reason for picking one of the schools. It is still all about Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, maybe Clemson rebounds and Kelly and Riley could bring UCAL and USC back. Losing OU and UT was a huge loss for the Big 12.

ROFL
Come on man.

The best player in the NFL is 1 of about 5/6 guys. NONE of which played in the SEC. Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Aaron Donald, TJ Watt, Micah Parsons
Pat Mahomes is now the face of the league and he played in the Big 12 and not at OUT.

The Big 12 Championship game featuring Oklahoma State and Baylor drew over 8Million viewers. It was the 5th most watched collegiate game of the year.
Cincy/Hou champ game drew 3.4 M viewers going directly up against the SEC CG. To be the 11th most watched game of the year.
So the Big 12 has zero trouble drawing eyeballs to those schools not named OUT when they win games and play more meaningful slots.

The helmet schools in the Big 12 certainly are traditional bluebloods with massive brands and budgets but football is a year in and year out sport where eyes go to winners. And the CFP WILL expand to ensure slots for plenty of teams including the Big12.

Since this thread began you've made 10 ut-centric bootlicking posts and they responded by winning an embarrassing 5 games.
OU is reportedly too poor to go to pay its way out of the Big 12 and thus keeping both school in until 2025.
Thus far its advantage Big 12 by far.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Some of these talents won’t be recognized if they aren’t playing and starting. Would you rather be on the bench in Fayetteville or starting in Waco? Hard to get the scouts attention on the bench.

Everyone realizes the tout the SEC has but miraculously other players are being drafted from other conferences.

And no one is discounting what Texas and OU meant as far as credibility since name recognition is so important in NCAA regardless whether Texas has been an average team last decade +.

But life goes on and we’ll make the best of it. The Big 12 will survive much to the dismay of the schools who left. The way I see it is some of the remaining schools will have a better shot of making the playoffs than they did before if they can go undefeated. If not , winning national championships in football isn’t something we expect to do anyway.

We’re just pleased we are keeping the remaining teams together for which we’ve built long standing traditions and look forward to building new ones. And applaud teams who want to be in same conference. We wish those others well and hope they enjoy their time in the SEC.
Nothing he is saying is even remotely true.
The 2nd best player in the country just signed to Deion/JSU.
Players want to get paid and to play.
Those opportunities exist at every P5 and many non-P5s.
The 2nd player drafted last year went to BYU and the 3rd went to North Dakota State.
UCF, BYU and Cincy all had 4+ players drafted last year. HOU in a rebuild year 1 had 3.
UT had 4.....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I do not think they are leaving to do something to the Biq 12 but to do something for themselves.

There are people at OU and UT that have a strong affinity for the schools that spent so much time in the Big 8 and SWC. They are not the people behind this move anymore than they were at AR when they left.

UT just ranked 4th on signing day so they're program is not dead but healthy and they have the chance to turn it around. A&M was 1st or 2nd, according to who you source, along with Bama, so they'd better stay in that top 10.

This is not like AR or MO going to the SEC, neither has the rep or tradition that OU and UT have. I think they will have some adjustment period to make but they will both do better than AR or MO has done or will do. AR has suffered from a recruiting and coaching problem for years but they are their own worst enemy, Houston Nutt wasn't good enough for them. Native Arkansan, star Hog QB comes to take them back to bowl games, including a Cotton Bowl win over UT and that's not good enough.

AR went for money and knew full well their football program could suffer because they had relied so much on Texas recruits. OU and UT do not need the money and feel this will help their recruiting. Time will tell but UT showing up at 4 and OU staying in the top 15 after Riley bolted is a pretty good sign. According to what I read, OU was top 6 before he resigned.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do not think they are leaving to do something to the Biq 12 but to do something for themselves.

There are people at OU and UT that have a strong affinity for the schools that spent so much time in the Big 8 and SWC. They are not the people behind this move anymore than they were at AR when they left.

UT just ranked 4th on signing day so they're program is not dead but healthy and they have the chance to turn it around. A&M was 1st or 2nd, according to who you source, along with Bama, so they'd better stay in that top 10.

This is not like AR or MO going to the SEC, neither has the rep or tradition that OU and UT have. I think they will have some adjustment period to make but they will both do better than AR or MO has done or will do. AR has suffered from a recruiting and coaching problem for years but they are their own worst enemy, Houston Nutt wasn't good enough for them. Native Arkansan, star Hog QB comes to take them back to bowl games, including a Cotton Bowl win over UT and that's not good enough.

AR went for money and knew full well their football program could suffer because they had relied so much on Texas recruits. OU and UT do not need the money and feel this will help their recruiting. Time will tell but UT showing up at 4 and OU staying in the top 15 after Riley bolted is a pretty good sign. According to what I read, OU was top 6 before he resigned.
Didn’t say Texas program was dead but it’s been down for over a decade . And that was with usually strong recruiting classes .

I really don’t care why the schools left but I do know their fans . And if they don’t have similar success as they’ve had in Big 12 and prior their fans aren’t going to be happy being just another fish in a bigger pond .

We shall see how they fare . But I think Riley bolting is an indication it’s not going to be as easy transition as some think.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Generally teams have left the Big 12 because of the insecurity and uncertainty the conference has provided. I’ve been very critical over the years for Big 12 not expanding getting back to 12 teams and beyond.

But a big part of the reason they hadn’t expanded is Texas and OU didn’t want to cut the revenue pie anymore .

The Big 12 let Texas get their ESPN deal which ran the Ags off. Bowlsby didn’t respond to the Sooners complaining about the early 11am kickoffs which was last straw for OU. The Commish did finally move quickly on something after the announcement was made.

And I’m a fan of one of the remaining teams so my loyalty is keeping as much of the traditional rivalries together. That the basis of college sports . Beyond that I couldn’t give a crap.

I still miss Arkansas . Almost went to school there. Loved their hoops tradition. We have several Longhorns in my family. My wife is one of them. We wear our colors on game day. Have some Faggies in the family too. At least we got TCU back which about half my family went to . And a couple from Houston.

We all understand the business at hand. But hopefully we’ll have some non conference games in the future to rekindle the century old rivalries.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Its better to be Cincy and play in a conference they have a chance of winning. The SEC is getting too big and losing its character. Nobody around here at Auburn and UGA is celebrating the addition of these schools. But I guess TV money makes all the decisions these days. The only school the SEC should have added is Clemson which is right smack in the middle of SEC country, but i'm guessing South Carolina (which should be in the AAC) would block it.

Maybe the SEC should form a Southwest division and just call it the SWC division. lol

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
I'm a college football fanatic and went to a pac 10 school. I think OU and Texas moving into the SEC was incredibly dumb and , IMO, it cost OU their head coach. Texas will be fighting with Arkansas and Mississippi State to stay out of cellar of the SEC West.

Mizzou will be better than texas and ou

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its better to be Cincy and play in a conference they have a chance of winning. The SEC is getting too big and losing its character. Nobody around here at Auburn and UGA is celebrating the addition of these schools. But I guess TV money makes all the decisions these days. The only school the SEC should have added is Clemson which is right smack in the middle of SEC country, but i'm guessing South Carolina (which should be in the AAC) would block it.

Maybe the SEC should form a Southwest division and just call it the SWC division. lol
That brings up an interesting issue. Will TX and OU both be in West Division. If so who will they move to East? SEC isn’t going to have 2 more teams in West than East.

Miss and Miss St won’t want to move. Alabama and LSU won’t. That leaves Arkansas and Auburn. Geographically Auburn would seem like choice but then they’d lose rivalry with Bama. What to do?

Maybe put A&M in East. If they were smart they’d take it. They’ll likely never get in a conference championship in the West. And they won’t have to play Texas every year which they hate. Lol

Last edited:

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I personally believe the Big 12 is a more desirable conference than the PAC 12 and is somewhat of a threat to the ACC with the new additions. Among the newcomers are a few very good programs that will benefit from the recruiting bump you get in a Power 5 conference (BYU, Cincy, and UCF come to mind). I went to every University of Colorado home game this year and wow the level of play has declined precipitously. PAC 12 schools really are not getting highly touted recruits anymore and the talent gap is growing. In the Big 12 you do not have a certified blue blood like Oregon in the PAC 12 anymore, but I think that Baylor, OK State, and Iowa State are poised to take the next step.