Big 12 future looks bright without TX & OU

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To be clear SEC scheduling now is trash.
There is zero balance because the SEC East is just bad and the SEC West is always stacked.
Georgia is probably the best team in NCAAF but the rest of the SEC East is just awful.
And teams play the most unbalanced random crap ever because 7 teams do not divide evenly.

So yes the SEC could forge down a trash can laden path if they so desire.
But it is unlikely. Especially if the goal is more watchable football.
Can't do Pods with 14 but you can, and should, 16.
In all likelihood part of why ESPN had the SEC take OU/UT was to create that Pod system and more watchable games.

ARK 2021:
Rice
UTexas --helmet school P5
Georgia Southern
Tamu -- ranked
Georgia -- ranked
Ole Miss -- ranked
Auburn
ARPB
Miss St -- ranked
LSU
Bama -- ranked
Missou

Kentucky 2021:
ULM
Missou
UTC
Scar
Florida
LSU
Georgia --ranked
Miss St --ranked
Tenn
Vandy
NMSU
Louisville -- rival P5

How are these two usually soft SEC teams schedules balanced AT ALL???
I haven’t heard any complaints from within the SEC that their scheduling is trash ?

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
Not sure why keeps bringing this up ... Missou beat no one this year.
They won all of 3 P5 games and that was to 2-win Vandy, moribund South Carolina and a Coachless Florida in OT.
They lost 4 of their 8 SEC games by 17 or more.

Texas was trash this year but they beat the Sun belt champ 12-1 Louisiana team, and 2 more Big 12 Bowl teams. Texas was awful but they do actually play people.
They played 10 P5 games losing only 2 of them by double digits.

Missouri has a nice class coming in

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adding one team to each division doesn’t disrupt the rivalries or the scheduling.

I think you could see Alabama, Ole Miss, and Auburn moving to the SEC East and Mizzou moving to the west. That makes the most sense geographically and historically. LSU , A&M, Texas, and OU makes for a great division with Bama, UGA, Auburn, and Florida a solid counter balance from the east.

I don't think the SEC wants to see Bama squashing the new schools every year. It is not in the financial interest of the conference. They need to let Texas and OU breath a little and in the case of Texas at least, return to national prominence. I like the idea of kinda returning the old SW rivalries and throwing LSU in the mix.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you could see Alabama, Ole Miss, and Auburn moving to the SEC East and Mizzou moving to the west. That makes the most sense geographically and historically. LSU , A&M, Texas, and OU makes for a great division with Bama, UGA, Auburn, and Florida a solid counter balance from the east.

I don't think the SEC wants to see Bama squashing the new schools every year. It is not in the financial interest of the conference. They need to let Texas and OU breath a little and in the case of Texas at least, return to national prominence. I like the idea of kinda returning the old SW rivalries and throwing LSU in the mix.
Interesting thought . A total realignment . I could see Auburn moving over based on geographic alone .

I really doubt that the SEC will hold the newcomers priorities above the long standing members. And I can’t imagine the SEC concerned about providing the newcomers an advantage by moving Alabama who won’t want to be in East . And I doubt those in East will want them.

And LSU won’t want to lose their rivalry nor will Miss St with Miss. It’s going to be interesting how this shakes out. Nobody knows at this point .

Personally I’d like to see Texas and OU split up. The only reason they wouldn’t consider that is it provides an opportunity for both of them to be in championship game .

The Wild card in these decisions could be what Aggies might be thinking. This could be an opportunity for them to move to East. Then they wouldn’t have to play Texas which a big reason why they left and not have to play Bama every year . They were last to join SEC and don’t have the long standing rivalries of other schools .

There could be a team in the West who volunteers to move to East?

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting thought . A total realignment . I could see Auburn moving over based on geographic alone .

I really doubt that the SEC will hold the newcomers priorities above the long standing members. And I can’t imagine the SEC concerned about providing the newcomers an advantage by moving Alabama who won’t want to be in East . And I doubt those in East will want them.

And LSU won’t want to lose their rivalry nor will Miss St with Miss. It’s going to be interesting how this shakes out. Nobody knows at this point .

Personally I’d like to see Texas and OU split up. The only reason they wouldn’t consider that is it provides an opportunity for both of them to be in championship game .

The Wild card in these decisions could be what Aggies might be thinking. This could be an opportunity for them to move to East. Then they wouldn’t have to play Texas which a big reason why they left and not have to play Bama every year . They were last to join SEC and don’t have the long standing rivalries of other schools .

There could be a team in the West who volunteers to move to East?

I see what you are saying, but I don't think moving Bama is bad for the conference either. Its not JUST about the new comers. The East is weak and dominated by UGA. UT and UF haven't been good in a long time. So, the conference needs to be rebalanced anyway. Auburn moving is a no brainer, but they aren't breaking up the Iron Bowl and I don't know how that would work without moving Bama with them. Plus, a division with LSU, Bama, A&M, OU, and Texas is simply overloaded.

A&M just needed a chance to step out of Texas's shadow. Mission accomplished and actually reversed. They are the better football program now, and I'm guessing many of their boosters wouldn't mind seeing Texas now for some pay back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see what you are saying, but I don't think moving Bama is bad for the conference either. Its not JUST about the new comers. The East is weak and dominated by UGA. UT and UF haven't been good in a long time. So, the conference needs to be rebalanced anyway. Auburn moving is a no brainer, but they aren't breaking up the Iron Bowl and I don't know how that would work without moving Bama with them. Plus, a division with LSU, Bama, A&M, OU, and Texas is simply overloaded.

A&M just needed a chance to step out of Texas's shadow. Mission accomplished and actually reversed. They are the better football program now, and I'm guessing many of their boosters wouldn't mind seeing Texas now for some pay back.
And why placing Sooners in East might be that balance you’re looking for .

Id also argue while Florida has been down recently they always have the potential of re-emerging which with Alabama or Auburn would shift that balance out of whack again.

The bottomline will be who will want to move to East. It might surprise us who will volunteer. If not then Tx and OU are likely to be split up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And why placing Sooners in East might be that balance you’re looking for .

Id also argue while Florida has been down recently they always have the potential of re-emerging which with Alabama or Auburn would shift that balance out of whack again.

The bottomline will be who will want to move to East. It might surprise us who will volunteer. If not then Tx and OU are likely to be split up.

Putting OU in the East makes no geographic sense. Auburn , Bama, Florida, and UGA are a perfect counter balance to A&M, OU, LSU, and Texas. You get 4 heavy weights on each side and the geography makes sense. That doesn't mean it will happen. But, this is chance for the SEC to realign in a way that makes sense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Putting OU in the East makes no geographic sense. Auburn , Bama, Florida, and UGA are a perfect counter balance to A&M, OU, LSU, and Texas. You get 4 heavy weights on each side and the geography makes sense. That doesn't mean it will happen. But, this is chance for the SEC to realign in a way that makes sense.
Placing Missouri in the East made no sense either.

I agree that geographically Auburn makes the most sense .

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Placing Missouri in the East made no sense either.

I agree that geographically Auburn makes the most sense .

Mizzou was the 14th team added. So, they got put in the east to balance numbers. The conference preferred FSU and Va Tech but couldn't get those schools. Settled for Mizzou in the East.

They might split up OU and Texas............I just don't think they will b/c the SEC tries to preserve rivalries and this just seems like an opportune time to re-configure in a way that makes sense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mizzou was the 14th team added. So, they got put in the east to balance numbers. The conference preferred FSU and Va Tech but couldn't get those schools. Settled for Mizzou in the East.

They might split up OU and Texas............I just don't think they will b/c the SEC tries to preserve rivalries and this just seems like an opportune time to re-configure in a way that makes sense.
Yea but they could continue their Red River Rivalry without being in same division.

Remember it was a big rivalry game for decades before they were in Big 12 together. It could basically be one of their non divisional games .

We shall see what happens. But to me splitting them up is easiest way to go …unless someone volunteers to move to East.

Who knows by 2024 SEC could add more teams.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I haven’t heard any complaints from within the SEC that their scheduling is trash ?
Because it benefits them with it being trash.
It is meant to promote it's best teams and make everyone money.
But you also haven't been listening as teams od complain yearly about how soft the East is.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SEC now 0-3 in Bowls (2 as favorites). Not a great look for a conference that gives us two CFP teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because it benefits them with it being trash.
It is meant to promote it's best teams and make everyone money.
But you also haven't been listening as teams od complain yearly about how soft the East is.
Yes, currently it is but I’ve been around watching for 60 + years. It runs in cycles.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes, currently it is but I’ve been around watching for 60 + years. It runs in cycles.
Not sure what this has to do with anything,
The SEC expanded to 14 in 2012 and kept a dated 6+1+1 scheduling model that is trash.
They are now expanding to 16 with a chance to remedy that terrible scheduling model.

But that model most definitely has benefitted them financially.
And somehow, they've been able to do sleight of hand and get the world to focus on the top 2-3 teams yearly and not how bad some of the play and fairness really is.

Anywho, just watched Texas Tech absolutely steal the soul of Miss St in Memphis.
Was glorious.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
UCF beats Florida
Houston beats Auburn
Tech beats Miss St

yea the new Big 12 looks like it'll be alright.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not sure what this has to do with anything,
The SEC expanded to 14 in 2012 and kept a dated 6+1+1 scheduling model that is trash.
They are now expanding to 16 with a chance to remedy that terrible scheduling model.

But that model most definitely has benefitted them financially.
And somehow, they've been able to do sleight of hand and get the world to focus on the top 2-3 teams yearly and not how bad some of the play and fairness really is.

Anywho, just watched Texas Tech absolutely steal the soul of Miss St in Memphis.
Was glorious.
I’m not sure your point about the scheduling .

They play everyone in their division and 2 in other division with a rotating schedule . This would basically just add 1 game in division . That calculates to 9 conference games and 3 non conference.

Are you suggesting they add more games with the other division and lessening their non conference games more?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
UCF beats Florida
Houston beats Auburn
Tech beats Miss St

yea the new Big 12 looks like it'll be alright.
I’m excited about the new Big12. Hope Tx and OU stumble in SEC. Tx is already struggling.

I think while losing its marquee teams the conference will be fine. They should have expanded years ago. I’m only sad to have lost the rivalries with my team and others in Big 12.

But we will move on and make the best of it. Conference illustrated this year we are very capable.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I’m excited about the new Big12. Hope Tx and OU stumble in SEC. Tx is already struggling.

I think while losing its marquee teams the conference will be fine. They should have expanded years ago. I’m only sad to have lost the rivalries with my team and others in Big 12.

But we will move on and make the best of it. Conference illustrated this year we are very capable.
They absolutely should have expanded earlier but UT didn't want to and fought it because they didn't want to split the pie with others.
Like businesses that think quarter to quarter this was a really poor long-term business decision.
I've seen UT basketball attendance and thats how football will be if they go win 5-6 games a year in the SEC.
Tea sips are front runners not fanatics.

Every Big 12 school would have been better off had they expanded back to 12 immediately following the defections.
And realistically they could have been the first to go to 16.
That divisional or Pod scheduling is far more beneficial to higher rated teams.
And what is sad is they had the history lesson. The B1G in a true 10-man round robin fell off a cliff.
They expanded and now you have a B1G powerhouse.
Big 12 decided to follow the silly path anyway for the highest possible payout.
And it was led by UT who had more money than anyone anyway. Just insane greed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mental attitude of both OU and UT has been leading them to this move for quite some time. They have been the big dogs, the only two, in the Big 12 kennel for too long.

I was talking to some UT alum fanatics just this past weekend as an ex UT coach lives two doors down. They look at this as painting on the larger canvass, the largest one in college football. One of the guys said "we might struggle in the beginning but we'd rather lose to a Bama or LSU than a Baylor or TCU".

Doesn't matter what UT's record is, there is a Texas mindset that is set that they are one of the top programs in the country. Many are surprised to discover football wasn't invented in Texas. They are too big not to be in the BIG conference.

And when you compare what OU and UT have accomplished just in football and UT in baseball, they have been the dogs wagging the Big 12 tail. And no group of alums expects to win trophies like the OU ones. There are people in Norman that don't mind Riley walking because he only got them to the CFP, they didn't do anything when they got there.

In a way, that's like the Arkansas mentality with firing Houston Nutt. He takes them to bowl games, 6 in a row, for the first time in a long time and one is a Cotton Bowl victory over Texas and he's a native and ex QB for AR but that's not good enough. How TCU treated Patterson reminds me of this same thing.

Kelly and Venable have no idea what they've walked into if they don't deliver. And both are going to find the schedule a hell of a lot tougher than where they were. Sark got an inside view of that with Bama so he knows what to expect.