Big 12 looking to add 4 PAC 12 teams

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Oregon to B1G?
I know Phil Knight is trying his best to get Oregon there and I think he'd love to take Stanford (his other degree).
This would get Cali owned by the B1G with 3 large school and Stanford brings the academic pedigree the B1G loves but Oregon lacks.
Oregon brings the football program and eyeballs. Was top 10 in viewership last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its not for you to say how Irish people feel about the logo. I find it very derogatory and insulting.

Hahahaha. Something tells me you just don't like ND football so you'll come up with random bizarre ways to complain about them.

terra

Reaction score
Its not for you to say how Irish people feel about the logo. I find it very derogatory and insulting.
and why should anyone care what a little snowflake like you have to say about ANYTHING?

csirl

Reaction score
Hahahaha. Something tells me you just don't like ND football so you'll come up with random bizarre ways to complain about them.

No. I'm Irish. The name and mascot is offensive to us and a racial stereotype.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cool it with the insults and derogatory comments. Disagreeing is fine, insulting those with a different opinion isn’t.

Thanks!

Sydla

Reaction score

Yeah, not buying it. ND has played multiple games in Ireland and they don't seem to mind the name over there.

csirl

Reaction score
Yeah, not buying it. ND has played multiple games in Ireland and they don't seem to mind the name over

The last game in Ireland in 2011 was not for an Irish audience - tickets were not on general sale locally. Wasnt well received by a lot of people and since then theiy"ve lost their Irish/European trademark over the offensive logo. The Penn State v UCF game in 2014 was much more popular and got a bigger crowd.

Even since 2011 there has been a lot of social change in Ireland and there is a lot less tolerance for racusm.

Sydla

Reaction score
The last game in Ireland in 2011 was not for an Irish audience - tickets were not on general sale locally. Wasnt well received by a lot of people and since then theiy"ve lost their Irish/European trademark over the offensive logo. The Penn State v UCF game in 2014 was much more popular and got a bigger crowd.

Even since 2011 there has been a lot of social change in Ireland and there is a lot less tolerance for racusm.

And yet Ireland has invited ND back in 2023 (they were supposed to play in 2020 but the game was postponed). And no one, especially those in government, have raised an issue with them playing there in 2023 with their "offensive logo".

Got any links to anything that would suggest people in Ireland are now not tolerant of the nickname?

csirl

Reaction score
And yet Ireland has invited ND back in 2023 (they were supposed to play in 2020 but the game was postponed). And no one, especially those in government, have raised an issue with them playing there in 2023 with their "offensive logo".

There isnt any public awareness in Ireland that this game is proposed. Tickets are not being sold in Ireland - here will be public pushback - I think ND are out of touch if they think it will be ok.

Sydla

Reaction score
There isnt any public awareness in Ireland that this game is proposed. Tickets are not being sold in Ireland - here will be public pushback - I think ND are out of touch if they think it will be ok.

Guess the Prime Minister of Ireland is out of touch too:

“The past year and a half have been challenging for us all in Ireland and the United States. Today’s announcement that Notre Dame will play its first-ever home game in Ireland against Navy is extremely exciting and welcome news,” said Taoiseach (Ireland Prime Minister) Micheál Martin. “The movement of this game to Ireland will provide a significant boost to our tourism and hospitality industries. We will have a very special welcome ready for the teams and supporters of Notre Dame and Navy when they visit us for the Aer Lingus College Football Classic in August 2023.”

terra

Reaction score
BS. Truly BS. A few sour pusses ranting means nothing.
Just like with the Commanders; there was NEVER any evidence that MOST Indians actually cared much one way or another. It was a few idiots with loud mouths and an inflated opinion of their own importance and as usual the NFL folded like wet noodle to the few instead of looking around to see that the few DID NOT SPEAK FOR THE MAJORITY.

csirl

Reaction score
Guess the Prime Minister of Ireland is out of touch too:

....... he's retiring soon. Will be gone by Christmas.

One of his Ministers retsigned today - mis judged public sentiment on an issue. Did something that would have been let slide in past eras.

csirl

Reaction score
BS. Truly BS. A few sour pusses ranting means nothing.
Just like with the Football Team; there was NEVER any evidence that MOST Indians actually cared much one way or another. It was a few idiots with loud mouths and an inflated opinion of their own importance and as usual the NFL folded like wet noodle to the few instead of looking around to see that the few DID NOT SPEAK FOR THE MAJORITY.

There is no place in modern sport for negative racial characatures full stop.

Sydla

Reaction score
....... he's retiring soon. Will be gone by Christmas.

One of his Ministers retsigned today - mis judged public sentiment on an issue. Did something that would have been let slide in past eras.

He resigned over misreporting property on the required House register. Somehow you’ve linked violating a rule of parliament with social acceptance of a team nickname.

At this point, I wonder if you are trolling the thread here.

PS - The fact the PM is retiring in December is meaningless. You can pull up quotes from many top Irish officials celebrating ND returning to play Navy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Where Should The Big Ten Expand Next? We Crunched The Numbers. | FiveThirtyEight

Interesting read from Big 10 perspective looking at combined data across all categories.

But he posits a 24-team league' ignoring many of those guidelines:
Pacific: Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington

Great Plains: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Great Lakes: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue

Atlantic: Florida State, Maryland, Miami, Rutgers, North Carolina, Penn State

DFWJC

Reaction score
So sick of the SEC and Big Ten power grabs.
They were already filthy rich and had great competition.
Totally unnecessary and breaking up so many 100-year rivalries, etc.

SEC adding OU and Texas was totally unnecessary...and it badly damage the Big12
Big 10 adding USC and UCLA, the same w/ Pac 12.

Kind of like a UFC champion that has 100 million in the bank going up to joe blow on the street and taking all his money, just because he can.

Oh well.

Not saying I will boycott them. I won't.
But I will for sure be watching less of them going forward

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So sick of the SEC and Big Ten power grabs.
They were already filthy rich and had great competition.
Totally unnecessary and breaking up so many 100-year rivalries, etc.

SEC adding OU and Texas was totally unnecessary...and it badly damage the Big12
Big 10 adding USC and UCLA, the same w/ Pac 12.

Kind of like a UFC champion that has 100 million in the bank going up to joe blow on the street and taking all his money, just because he can.

Oh well.

Not saying I will boycott them. I won't.
But I will for sure be watching less of them going forward
Exactly how I feel.
I played(very sparingly) at Tech and the team that was the biggest Tech rival was TAMU.
When they left the conference that sucked.
Lesser but same with Nebraska and Missou but all those schools left because they hated UT dominating the conference decision making.

The SEC has the highest level of football in the country but is it producing the best games? Not really.
There's a massive gap between the haves and have nots that make it almost unwatchable after a couple of games per week.
And 8 conf games with baby soft OOC make the schedules just bland at best.
So it's pretty easy to avoid watching SEC football for me aside from 2-3 games a year and then course the CFP.

The B1G is going to fall into same category for me. Even more low end schools with just bad football.

Definitely ready for the CFP to expand to 12 or 16 teams.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
different view of conf realignment.
what happens to those that leave competitively.
Big 12 defections:

Nebraska
Big XII 1996 - 2010: 139-55 / win 71.65% / Bowls: 13 of 15 years (86.66%)
Big Ten 2011 - 2021: 71-64 / win 52.59% / Bowls: 6 of 11 years (54.54%)

Colorado has also seen diminishing returns since moving to the PAC, but they always struggled so it's really them going from not good to absolutely abysmal. While in the Big XII they were 93-91 for a just over .500 win rate. In the PAC, they're 47-83 for a win rate of 36.15%. They've made a bowl in 2 of the past 11 years, while in the Big XII at least they enjoyed a 54% bowl rate.

Colorado
Big XII 1996 - 2010: 93-91 / win 50.54% / Bowls: 8 of 15 years (53.33%)
PAC 2011 - 2021: 47-83 / win 36.15% / Bowls: 2 of 11 years (18.18%)

As for Missouri and Aggy's move to the SEC - Missouri stayed almost exactly the same overall but had built a powerful program right before leaving that has went downhill rapidly while Aggy is the only team to have improved (record wise). Giving credence to my theory that although Aggy probably benefited from better recruiting after the SEC move, in reality, their improved record stems from the top-heavy SEC conference and winning 4 non conf games yearly.

Missouri

• Big XII 1996 - 2011: 112-84 / win 57.14% / Bowls - 10 of 16 years (62.5%)
  • SEC 2012 - 2021: 69-51 / win 57.5% / Bowls: 5 of 10 years (50%)
Texas A&M

• Big XII 1996 - 2011: 113-86 / win 56.78% / Bowls: 11 of 16 years (68.75%)
  • SEC 2012 - 2021: 85-41 / win 67.46% / Bowls: 9 of 10 years (90%)

Is the grass generally greener? Nebraska fans would kill to be back in the Big 12. Admin would never go for it but they actually LOST AAU status after joining.