'Big Bang' actually 'Big Chill,' new theory says

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
burmafrd;4680923 said:
they cannot explain how the others happened; so why does anyone think they know why this one is happening?

Total BS

Of course we can explain permutations in climatic change during the Earth's history. Your blanket statement is fundamentally flawed. If you think every scientist out there is going to agree to an explanation, well, I'll introduce you to the half dozen or so attorneys on CowboysZone.com who couldn't agree to everything during the lockout.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4680975 said:
Creatures are designed perfectly for their environment and they thrive in those environments.

What do you think about seasonal migrations? Personally, I think they make for some of the best scenes on the Planet Earth series.

And a follow up that might be slightly OT.

What do you think about global warming? Man made is it not? If not, what's the cause?

kmp77

Reaction score
jwitten82;4680987 said:
"In science, a theory is a rigorously tested statement of general principles that explains observable and recorded aspects of the world. A scientific theory therefore describes a higher level of understanding that ties "facts" together. A scientific theory stands until proven wrong -- it is never proven correct."

Thank you. I was about to post that. A scientific theory isn't a "theory" :lmao2: Certain groups of people always throw out that argument and look foolish every time :lmao2: :lmao2:

Phoenix

Reaction score
Nobody, NOBODY, can know. All these wild guesses out the butt are ridiculous. Maybe, just MAYBE, the universe has ALWAYS been here, huh? Maybe it HAD no beginning. And no end.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Phoenix;4681086 said:
Nobody, NOBODY, can know. All these wild guesses out the butt are ridiculous. Maybe, just MAYBE, the universe has ALWAYS been here, huh? Maybe it HAD no beginning. And no end.

That's called the Steady State Model.

Red shifted galaxies and background radiation rendered it obsolete.

kmp77

Reaction score
Phoenix;4681086 said:

I don't think scientists spend their day making wild out of the butt guesses. They didnt throw a dart and land on big bang :) The mere fact the universe is expanding leads one to think it had a beginning....or at least was totally different billions of years ago.

Phoenix

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4681088 said:
That's called the Steady State Model.

Red shifted galaxies and background radiation rendered it obsolete.

That's what they want you to think! :D

baj1dallas

Reaction score
fascinating theory. Difficult to wrap your brain around the idea of course. Vaguely similar to the multiverse theory, except with all the multiverses existing simultaneously within one...well whatever. I wonder if the building blocks they are talking about are strings, or something else.

Phoenix

Reaction score
kmp77;4681093 said:
I don't think scientists spend their day making wild out of the butt guesses. They didnt throw a dart and land on big bang :) The mere fact the universe is expanding leads one to think it had a beginning....or at least was totally different billions of years ago.

Intelligent Man has been around for what? A few decades? (Discounting Philly fans) Maybe a few more than that? And they (we) think we actually have one clue about the supposed origins of the universe, oh, about a zillion years before we or the dinosaurs ever got here? What if this "fact" that the universe is expanding isn't? How is that a fact by the way? Because one astronomer says so? I so wonder how that is a "proven fact" especially since what people "see" at the "edge" of the universe happened a zillion years ago. Or has light speed suddenly increased by a zillion-fold? Maybe the universe is actually contracting now but "we" will never know until another billion years when it hits our telescopes, and us...?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Phoenix;4681105 said:
Intelligent Man has been around for what? A few decades? (Discounting Philly fans) Maybe a few more than that? And they (we) think we actually have one clue about the supposed origins of the universe, oh, about a zillion years before we or the dinosaurs ever got here? What if this "fact" that the universe is expanding isn't? How is that a fact by the way? Because one astronomer says so? I so wonder how that is a "proven fact" especially since what people "see" at the "edge" of the universe happened a zillion years ago. Or has light speed suddenly increased by a zillion-fold? Maybe the universe is actually contracting now but "we" will never know until another billion years when it hits our telescopes, and us...?

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean nobody does. Try reading about the red shift from the assumption that it may be correct and see if that answers your questions.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
jwitten82;4680987 said:
A scientific theory stands until proven wrong -- it is never proven correct."

Not sure that bolsters your argument.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Phoenix;4681105 said:

The funny thing is that it doesn't matter... you can't change the past...

I find history fascinating, but that's why it is history... it can't be changed...

We have people basing their whole lives on past scientific theory or theology, yet it doesn't matter... it can't be changed until we get the transporter from Star Trek and send Ensign Ricky to check things out...

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4681463 said:
Not sure that bolsters your argument.

Doubtful he can see that tho.

No matter how its is "worded" its still just a theory and because of that it is unproven. And he even admitted it is unprovable in this case.

Nuff said.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Phoenix;4681105 said:

Scientist use redshift. This should help explain how we know the Universe is expanding. I believe it will even show you how to measure it also. :)

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
kmp77;4681085 said:
Thank you. I was about to post that. A scientific theory isn't a "theory" :lmao2:

When is a theory not a "theory"? When it is a scientific theory:confused: :)

This engineer (do I qualify as a scientist?) has no idea what you mean.

Are you speaking of Theories vs. theorems

Theories are distinct from theorems. Theorems are derived deductively from objections according to a formal system of rules, sometimes as an end in itself and sometimes as a first step in testing or applying a theory in a concrete situation; theorems are said to be true in the sense that the conclusions of a theorem are logical consequences of the objections. Theories are abstract and conceptual, and to this end they are always considered true. They are supported or challenged by observations in the world. They are 'rigorously tentative', meaning that they are proposed as true and expected to satisfy careful examination to account for the possibility of faulty inference or incorrect observation. Sometimes theories are incorrect, meaning that an explicit set of observations contradicts some fundamental objection or application of the theory, but more often theories are corrected to conform to new observations, by restricting the class of phenomena the theory applies to or changing the assertions made. An example of the former is the restriction of Classical mechanics to phenomena involving macroscopic lengthscales and particle speeds much lower than the speed of light.

"Sometimes a hypothesis never reaches the point of being considered a theory because the answer is not found to derive its assertions analytically or not applied empirically."

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4680944 said:
Why do you disagree with the Big Bang, Big Chill, whatever theory of the origin of the universe

Why do you agree? Have you done the testing yourself?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
jwitten82;4680987 said:
"In science, a theory is a rigorously tested statement of general principles that explains observable and recorded aspects of the world. A scientific theory therefore describes a higher level of understanding that ties "facts" together. A scientific theory stands until proven wrong -- it is never proven correct."

kmp77;4681085 said:
Thank you. I was about to post that. A scientific theory isn't a "theory" :lmao2: Certain groups of people always throw out that argument and look foolish every time :lmao2: :lmao2:

But it's why they call it a "Theory"... so they can come back later and amend any new findings...

Science is not an "Exact Science" so to speak when it comes to history... heck, Pluto was in our Solar System until 2006...

When they know for sure it will be labeled as "Law of Evolution" or "Theorem of Evolution"...

I'm not saying they are wrong, just providing the most common example... Scientists build in the "add more later" but many in the outside world take it for 100% accurate as new things are found...