Big fan of Kellen Moore, but

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Moore's main asset is following Linehan. A seriously resurgent oline is the next asset. With merely mediocre good sense, the likely production bump will make him look like a genius.

I have to agree here. He gets a resurgent offensive line, Cooper for the entire year, Witten back, Cobb, AND... bonus, the bar was set by Linehan very low. How can he not succeed?

Count me as a believer. I have heard enough of his philosophies in interviews that I believe he’ll bring innovation to the offense. And hey, if he doesn’t, the whole lot of them are probably gone anyway.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Agreed they have not seen the Philly fans which I have gone to 4 games there (I worked there and drove up just for the game winning Roy Williams Williams jersey for)

Didn’t get that last sentence, but if you’re talking about that game where Roy Williams picked off that awful pass from McNabb and returned it for a touchdown to effectively win the game - I was there too. One of my favorite Cowboy moments of the past 20 years.

Flamma

Reaction score
He's a complete unknown for the rest of America...but for someone that has broken down film of Boise State...trying to figure out what made that team so good when he was the QB....trust me....I've been studying teams for 40 years...and what they did here...was unique. The question I have is...will he bring that here to Dallas...that made those Boise St. teams so successful. Look...I'm no dummy when it comes to breaking down X's and O's....having been a QB/RB...played multiple positions....and I'm telling people now...get ready. We are taking this offense to the next level. From what is being leaked via the OTAs...I'm getting the impression Kellen is bringing Boise St. 2.0 to Dallas. And I can't wait to see what a Boise St offense would look like using pro players. People don't understand..Boise St. had teams so confused on defense. With all the motion...multiple sets....once I studied them to see what they were doing...I could tell when a defense was in trouble. They would start flipping LBers...guys would start pointing...D-lineman would start looking back...DBs would start putting their arms in the air because they didn't know what coverage they were in...man or zone. Sorry...I'm LOL....thinking back how twisted Kellen would get defenses. He was so far ahead of the curve....making the calls @ the line....and getting BSU into the right play. He had defenses on their heals all the time. If you look @ his stats...they are misleading because we had such huge leads by halftime...he might get a series or 2 in the 2nd half...and that was it. He could have won the heisman if he were allowed to pad stats like everyone else. The only doubt I have is...Can Dak master the offense....because there is a lot to it. And honestly...I was shocked BSU players could master it....because players have got to go to school...attend classes...there is only so much time they can learn...but somehow...they would come out and line up in what would seem like 10 different packages each week...and each package would have 20-30 different variations to it. And each variation would have options off that...I know...sounds confusing...but that's why it worked. So I guess the key that I picked up on was...well...I don't want to spoil it...but trust me...it there.
It may take some time for players to adjust to a new system so complicated..compared to the JR high route system Linehan was running. Fans just need to be patient...because the potential and pieces are there.

I'm hoping you're right of course, but I've heard all of this before. That some coach was going to bring his offensive genius to the NFL. To say he failed miserably would be an understatement. He was actually an embarrassment. It wasn't that long ago. Care to take a guess?

The NFL is a different animal. What works in college may not be so easy to confuse NFL players. College football is where we see swing passes go for 60 yard + touchdowns. They have Heisman trophy winners that aren't even NFL talent on several occasions. In many cases they're running scheme's and plays against inferior teams, and players that will never see an NFL down on both sides of the ball. In my opinion all it's good for is to see who stands out among the crowd. Even that is hit or miss based on some of the reasons I've mentioned.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being bright and having a high football IQ are big pluses. But this is the NFL, not the Mountain West. There are multiple reasons it’s very difficult to win a championship in this league. If being football smart was all it takes, there would have been a lot more Lombardis won by the “football genius” crowd.

One other note- I am a lifelong resident of the Dallas area, and a Cowboys fan since 1964. The fan base here in the Dallas area is extremely diverse. Saying we are “always a step slower” is a foolish comment. Sure there are some non-intelligent fans...slow if you want to say that.

But Texas is a football hotbed. And using the word “always” when referring to any people in a metro area of nearly 4 million people is a poorly conceived exaggeration. There are all kinds of Cowboys fans just like in any other NFL town. I’ve never been to Boise, Idaho, but I’m sure there are all kinds of people and fans there that make it a great football town. Just like Dallas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to agree here. He gets a resurgent offensive line, Cooper for the entire year, Witten back, Cobb, AND... bonus, the bar was set by Linehan very low. How can he not succeed?

Count me as a believer. I have heard enough of his philosophies in interviews that I believe he’ll bring innovation to the offense. And hey, if he doesn’t, the whole lot of them are probably gone anyway.

In my opinion, nobody did less with the weapons that he had than Scott Linehan.

Everyone take note of where he's working right now.

I firmly believe that even a capable offensive coordinator can have major success with the player talent that's been put together here.

If someone can point out another team as stocked with first, second, and third round talents and as many Pro Bowlers on its offensive roster, I'm all ears. Nobody has a cupboard as well-stocked as this one.

Now we get to see whether or not Moore can hit the ground running as a "capable offensive coordinator"?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being bright and having a high football IQ are big pluses. But this is the NFL, not the Mountain West. There are multiple reasons it’s very difficult to win a championship in this league. If being football smart was all it takes, there would have been a lot more Lombardis won by the “football genius” crowd.

One other note- I am a lifelong resident of the Dallas area, and a Cowboys fan since 1964. The fan base here in the Dallas area is extremely diverse. Saying we are “always a step slower” is a foolish comment. Sure there are some non-intelligent fans...slow if you want to say that.

But Texas is a football hotbed. And using the word “always” when referring to any people in a metro area of nearly 4 million people is a poorly conceived exaggeration. There are all kinds of Cowboys fans just like in any other NFL town. I’ve never been to Boise, Idaho, but I’m sure there are all kinds of people and fans there that make it a great football town. Just like Dallas.

This thread was created for one reason:

tenor.gif

Falco78

Reaction score
Didn’t get that last sentence, but if you’re talking about that game where Roy Williams picked off that awful pass from McNabb and returned it for a touchdown to effectively win the game - I was there too. One of my favorite Cowboy moments of the past 20 years.
That was the game and I made sure to return all the comments to the Philthy fans!

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
That was the game and I made sure to return all the comments to the Philthy fans!

The looks on their faces was priceless. They were in shock. Why they were even throwing in that situation is still a mystery. I saw dejected Eagles’ fans still in their seats 20 minutes after the game with their face in their hands. So beautiful.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Interesting that you look at an unproven coach like Moore as a sure thing. If we only listen to him all of our dreams will come true.

What the heck has he ever done to warrant that kind of respect? He's a complete unknown.

I will agree he is an unknown but it is the current NFL trend to bring in guys that are unknown. Now with that being said, Moore, does not have a pedigree that a McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur, Reich or other OC or HC in the NFL have. But many would argue that McVay or Lafleur were not well known NFL coaches and their claim to fame is running an offense for someone else. The only real advantage Moore has over those guys is he has seen what a defense really looks like from a QBs perspective not that will decide if he is good or not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not so sure he will have the type of success he had at Boise State. In Boise, Kellen's genius was never questioned or doubted. There was no jealousy or envy to deal with. Every Boise State Bronco knew all they had to do is follow and support Kellen's lead. Even the coaches wised up very early and started checking with Kellen on play designs, game plans and daily practice routines.

But things are different in Dallas. The team, players and coaches, even the fans down in Texas, always seem to be a step slower. Now I will give the Cowboys brass credit for promoting Kellen to OC as fast as they did. There's definitely more optimism this season. But still there's a stubborn rugged mindset out there. These die-hard haters who were the same people clutching onto flip phones, VCRs and Sanka instant coffee.

What is it about local Texan Cowboys fans anyway? The Cowboys are a global franchise with a much needed dose of Boise State invasion. The Cowboys should play a couple of games a season right here in Boise, where the blue turf and the blue skies are much more fitting of a team of such stature.

Just my opinion anyway.

What you are talking about is just standard stuff - not something unique to Moore or the Cowboys. Every coach and every player has to adjust to the NFL after leaving the college ranks.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I worked with a guy in Florida, he was from Philadelphia, and of course an Eagles fan. Overall he was a decent guy, knew his work. We got along well. Except when it came to football, which we didn't talk a lot about. Heck I didn't even knew he liked football the first 2 years we worked together. But after the Cowboys won the 92 SB, he showed his hate for the Cowboys, but it was in good fun.

He told me a story, he got a scholarship to go to a small college in Texas. So after a few months here, he went up to a "Cowboy" much bigger than he was, as this "Cowboy" was in his boots, hat, belt, and big belt buckle, all that. He mouth off to him about his clothes and hat.

He said that was the last thing he remembered, as he woke up the next day with a huge black eye, as it took one punch. He quit college, packed his bags and never came back.

so to that troll who I just put on ignore...DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS...
Yep, there is a reason people from Texas are generally polite to each other. Your coworker was lucky to get off that easy. When I moved to California, I was a little shocked by the lack of courtesy. Nothing major but just things like not holding the door for someone following you into a store. That was a given where I'm from.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Ok, so playing QB at the college level is exactly the same as being an OC in the NFL. It makes perfect sense.

I seem to remember other QB's who did well in college (Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manziel) who didn't amount to anything more than a pile of crap in the NFL. At least those two got to actually play in NFL games, unlike his highness KM.
Once again when Kellen was at Boise State, it was essentially his offense. He designed plays and the coaches implemented them.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Was it? You sure?

What exactly do you mean ?

You mean Daks development ? Yes i am sure. I think it is hard to find some skills Dak really developed after he was drafted.

He still lacks accuracy, cant make more then one read throw. Sees only half the field, lacks pocket awareness, he panicks when the pocket colpases an his footwork is bad.

All those weaknesess were pointed out when he came out of college. Of course this isnt Kellen Moores fault. My point was: all i can judge Kellen for right now is that he was an NFL QB coach before his OC career and all he showed me is that he wasnt able to help Dak improve his game.

Again, this may not be Kellens fault, it may be the lack of Daks talent. But then this post is not about Dak, its about understanding the hype about Kellen. And until now Kellen showed me nothing that justifies it.

Last edited: