Big fan of Kellen Moore, but

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which makes it extremely interesting. He has a lot to prove in my eyes. But I’m intrigued to say the least.

Can only go up from what he had at OC.

That's my feeling as well. Linehan set quite a low bar for expectations.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the offense becomes a problem this year, the next big war will be...was it Moores fault or Daks. Bring your popcorn.
Moore Moore Moore Moore Moore Moore Moore Moore Moore Moore EXCUSES for the Dak clan......BET ON IT!:hammer:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I hope what you're saying happened at Boise State transpires to us. That would be tremendous, and, honestly, it'd be fun to watch.

I just know this much...there are gonna be some plays this year....where a guy is going to be so wide open....people are gonna be shocked. Question is can Dak not screw this up? Because honestly...you look @ Dak's past of missing guys like Gallop last year.. that were open..that would have been scores...that's scary.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Interesting that you look at an unproven coach like Moore as a sure thing. If we only listen to him all of our dreams will come true.

What the heck has he ever done to warrant that kind of respect? He's a complete unknown.
I look at the pro-bowl and cringe. Yes Moore was calling the plays! But I can be optimistic, 1st game calling plays and all. I am taking the "wait and see" approach. Either way, Garrett landed a new contract...:banghead:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I look at the pro-bowl and cringe. Yes Moore was calling the plays! But I can be optimistic, 1st game calling plays and all. I am taking the "wait and see" approach. Either way, Garrett landed a new contract...:banghead:

You honestly believe he was gonna give away our playbook @ the pro bowl??? LOL...:laugh:

Next...:popcorn:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I just know this much...there are gonna be some plays this year....where a guy is going to be so wide open....people are gonna be shocked. Question is can Dak not screw this up? Because honestly...you look @ Dak's past of missing guys like Gallop last year.. that were open..that would have been scores...that's scary.
True. But even the best QB’s miss the wide open guy. We are so damn hard on Dak that it ain’t funny. We nitpick everything he does, and then some.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Then we ingest Bob Sturm and everyone else after the fact and consider it gospel. Too easy to sit back and wonder why we didn’t do this or that. Yet Dak is still a winning QB on most accounts.

GenoT

Reaction score
Kellen Moore was 53-0 as a college QB. As a pro with two teams (DET, DAL) he played in parts of two 2015 season-ending losing games. Nothing about his record-setting college career suggests his meaningless NFL playing career directly relates to success as an OC in the NFL.

KM, without any previous coaching experience at any level, was given the 2018 QB coach job, where he oversaw a group of 3 players.

Now that he has — once again — been GIVEN the OC job for DC, there is no proven indication that he will succeed.

It’s puzzling that so many self-proclaimed knowledgeable fans are banking on him to be the overriding difference in the Cowboys’ 2019 fortunes — one way or the other.
:facepalm:

Dre11

Reaction score
What's funny is, the difference isn't going to be Moore, he will be hailed as the difference maker if things go great, but in reality the difference will be the added speed on offense, the added talent, the defense getting better, Dak' s improvement , Frederick back and the resurrection of the O line. Yeah Moore will add a little pre snap motioning, but INMO that will be minimal effect after the first couple weeks offense won't change much. You're not making Dak start over with a new offense.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I'm not so sure he will have the type of success he had at Boise State. In Boise, Kellen's genius was never questioned or doubted. There was no jealousy or envy to deal with. Every Boise State Bronco knew all they had to do is follow and support Kellen's lead. Even the coaches wised up very early and started checking with Kellen on play designs, game plans and daily practice routines.

But things are different in Dallas. The team, players and coaches, even the fans down in Texas, always seem to be a step slower. Now I will give the Cowboys brass credit for promoting Kellen to OC as fast as they did. There's definitely more optimism this season. But still there's a stubborn rugged mindset out there. These die-hard haters who were the same people clutching onto flip phones, VCRs and Sanka instant coffee.

What is it about local Texan Cowboys fans anyway? The Cowboys are a global franchise with a much needed dose of Boise State invasion. The Cowboys should play a couple of games a season right here in Boise, where the blue turf and the blue skies are much more fitting of a team of such stature.

Just my opinion anyway.
If Idaho was really great it would be part of Texas

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I have to agree here. He gets a resurgent offensive line, Cooper for the entire year, Witten back, Cobb, AND... bonus, the bar was set by Linehan very low. How can he not succeed?

Count me as a believer. I have heard enough of his philosophies in interviews that I believe he’ll bring innovation to the offense. And hey, if he doesn’t, the whole lot of them are probably gone anyway.

Linehan is a low bar, and I think most everyone agrees with the basic thrust of what Moore has said or been reported to believe strategically. I hope he actually walks the talk and we get to see if we're right on that. We could be wrong. But I doubt it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Once again when Kellen was at Boise State, it was essentially his offense. He designed plays and the coaches implemented them.

Really? You got a link for that one?

That's a significant fact in favor of Moore actually being a Boy Genius when it comes to football. Also significant in that we should then expect Moore to be bringing that Boise State style to our offense, since it's actually *his* style.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean ?

You mean Daks development ? Yes i am sure. I think it is hard to find some skills Dak really developed after he was drafted.

He still lacks accuracy, cant make more then one read throw. Sees only half the field, lacks pocket awareness, he panicks when the pocket colpases an his footwork is bad.

All those weaknesess were pointed out when he came out of college. Of course this isnt Kellen Moores fault. My point was: all i can judge Kellen for right now is that he was an NFL QB coach before his OC career and all he showed me is that he wasnt able to help Dak improve his game.

Again, this may not be Kellens fault, it may be the lack of Daks talent. But then this post is not about Dak, its about understanding the hype about Kellen. And until now Kellen showed me nothing that justifies it.

Moore as a QB coach always seemed absurd to me. No experience coaching, and no experienced *being coached* to a high level himself.

I think Romo largely coached himself, but we *saw* the results in his improved play to an MVP level in 2014. To the extent that Moore coached himself, it was to an inadequate backup level, over a short NFL career. Not the guy to hire to fix up a struggling young QB who had clearly regressed from his rookie season. Kitna has enough experience to at least be a credible hire as a QB coach.

But I don't think position coach has the same requirements as an OC. OC is much more schematic. And I don't think it's magic. Good sense will go far, especially in comparison to Linehan. He doesn't have to shake up the league with innovation. Just use what we've got sensibly. And by all accounts, Moore has good football sense and an understanding of the game.