Twitter: Big Mac’s record in December

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If fans think this team didn't know who they wanted to be the HC once they decided to transition from Garrett, they're wrong.

Furthermore, MM could have gotten a gig right after GB was over. He didn't because he was waiting for certain opportunities. He was working away in his own way. He wasn't tired. Was already putting a coaching staff together. OK, other than Quinn (who, wasn't available last year anyways), who isn't on his staff?

The first half of the year everyone was worried about keeping Kellen Moore. Does everyone really think if Kellen Moore (Jerry and Dak's guy) leaves MM wouldn't know what to do?

I can't believe how much this guy gets bagged on and how he is not even HC of the year candidate? We were 6-10 last year and our backup QB even missed games. We had injuries across the board.

I don't even know how we won 6 games last year.

Now we're a SB contender, have a HC who works well with the organization and clearly has first say on his players and staff and now he's just this clock mismanagement HC?

Dallas Cowboys fandom baby!
I generally agree with you but he still has a lot to prove. The thing that has eluded the Cowboys organization for two and a half decades- playoff success- is the bar he will and should be judged by.

The Cowboys have had some regular season success over this drought. It’s their playoff failure that is the monkey on this organization’s back. Getting to at least the conference championship is what will convince me that Big Mac is a great coach here. I think it’s possible. But this organization’s goofy-soft Jones culture is what must be overcome to accomplish that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What's he supposed to play every week? GB, TB, ARZ and STL? Hell ourselves?
There’s a difference with a 1st place schedule. We didn’t have to play Green Bay or Rams this year. That makes a difference of 1 or 2 wins in a season and potentially determine whether you make the playoffs or not.

The Cowboys have failed to make the playoffs every time this era when we had 1st place schedule. 2008, 2010, 2015 and 2019.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I generally agree with you but he still has a lot to prove. The thing that has eluded the Cowboys organization for two and a half decades- playoff success- is the bar he will and should be judged by.

The Cowboys have had some regular season success over this drought. It’s their playoff failure that is the monkey on this organization’s back. Getting to at least the conference championship is what will convince me that Big Mac is a great coach here. I think it’s possible. But this organization’s goofy-soft Jones culture is what must be overcome to accomplish that.

I agree with your whole sentiment and share the whole mindset and regard the organizational there lacking of in the playoffs the last 25 years.

It's MM's 2nd season and we're getting ready health wise and in all 3 facets of the game. I'm not worried about his preparation, his in game coaching/decisions and so forth.

The offense had to shoulder and play many snaps the first half of the year to win us games because the defense was dismantled from the 1st game injury wise and still learning a new system and philosophy.

By mid season, the injury toll of all those snaps the offense absorbed and Covid set backs started to show up. Missing talent and then lack of cohesion (rhythm) on that side of the ball has shown up. But we're getting healthier there too now and have some games to work out the cohesion again before the playoffs.

We're quietly in a nice spot and have some momentum.

I can see how MM is gearing up for the playoffs but also looking to go after that #1 seed.

If anyone knows GB it's this guy.

He took a Championship from us 5 years ago and got his own. Now we have him and it looks like his old team is our biggest challenge to get to the SB. TB, LAR and ARZ (once Hopkins is back) are all very highly competitive teams. Other than ARZ, they all have vast recent playoff experience also. It's a real tough year in the NFC and we're starting to trend back upwards at the right time.

This guy can go up against Belichick, Arians, McVay, Reid. He doesn't coach in any environment star struck. Injury permitting. I have a serious belief he will see Andy Reid again this year. The results will be what they are.

MM is not a choker and what happened in KC was they were 100% and we were at best 50% on the road. We held Mahomes without DLaw, Gregory and Gallimore playing. No Tyron Smith or Amari Cooper and Lamb leaving the game early.

TB we could and should have surprisingly won that game if not for the refs late in the game. The Raiders was all ref's. Broncos, we got a good whooping and deserved it.

At 90% healthy we can go with any team in the league and our only 2 road losses are in TB and KC. We can play in any environment and haven't had the opportunity to do so at 90% + yet.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Problem this era is we have done reasonably well on the most part when we haven’t had 1st place schedule . Unfortunately besides winning the division we haven’t of course gone further than divisional round.

And we have failed to follow up the following season with another division title or playoff appearance when we have 1st place schedule.

I think the challenge for McCarthy is building a more consistent contender here year in and year out with consecutive playoff appearances increasing our chances of eventually breaking the door down.

This one shot every 3 or 4 years hadn’t worked out for us.

We have gone further than the divisional round with Dak once. GB beat us in the divisional round Daks rookie season and ended up winning the SB in 2016. STL (LAR now) halted us after beating Seattle a few years back and lost to NE in the SB that season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have gone further than the divisional round with Dak once. GB beat us in the divisional round Daks rookie season and ended up winning the SB in 2016. STL (LAR now) halted us after beating Seattle a few years back and lost to NE in the SB that season.

We've never gone further than the divisional round with him.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
There’s a difference with a 1st place schedule. We didn’t have to play Green Bay or Rams this year. That makes a difference of 1 or 2 wins in a season and potentially determine whether you make the playoffs or not.

The Cowboys have failed to make the playoffs every time this era when we had 1st place schedule. 2008, 2010, 2015 and 2019.

Right, but we played the 2 teams who were in the Super Bowl last season on the road and that's 2 of our losses. GB and the Rams havent had to play us either. GB's schedule is much easier than ours.

The champs (TB) game 1, which we should have ended up winning. The Champs from 2 years ago and runner up last year (KC) on the road without DLaw, Randy Gregory, Gallimore, Tyron Smith, Amari Cooper and Lamb leaving with a concussion. We lost that 9-19 and they were 100% healthy and back on their roll.

That's 2 losses of our 4. The Raider's was as ridiculous of a ref job as I have seen in years. We should have won that game.

The Broncos was a well deserved beating of a team still playing without starters and their head being to big against a team that needed a win and just cut their highest paid and decorated player.

We also face ARZ in another week. Philly is in the playoff hunt and we face them the last week. We beat NWO who beat TB twice this season. The Pats, The Chargers. We are finally getting healthy even though Zeke is banged up since midseason and Cooper has been playing with fractured ribs most of the season. DLaw, our highest paid defensive player just came back 2 weeks ago.

We have not had a soft season or schedule at all. Even when we played the Panthers early in the season they were on an upswing and undefeated. Washington was on a 4 game winning streak. They beat TB and Raiders in that streak. 2 teams we lost to.

The team you should be saying has had an easy schedule is TB, not us. They should have the toughest, but not even close.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No we haven’t. If we’d gone past the divisional round then we’d of been in a championship game. Which we haven’t.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
That's an impressive stat, I didn't know that about Big Mac.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right, but we played the 2 teams who were in the Super Bowl last season on the road and that's 2 of our losses. GB and the Rams havent had to play us either. GB's schedule is much easier than ours.

The champs (TB) game 1, which we should have ended up winning. The Champs from 2 years ago and runner up last year (KC) on the road without DLaw, Randy Gregory, Gallimore, Tyron Smith, Amari Cooper and Lamb leaving with a concussion. We lost that 9-19 and they were 100% healthy and back on their roll.

That's 2 losses of our 4. The Raider's was as ridiculous of a ref job as I have seen in years. We should have won that game.

The Broncos was a well deserved beating of a team still playing without starters and their head being to big against a team that needed a win and just cut their highest paid and decorated player.

We also face ARZ in another week. Philly is in the playoff hunt and we face them the last week. We beat NWO who beat TB twice this season. The Pats, The Chargers. We are finally getting healthy even though Zeke is banged up since midseason and Cooper has been playing with fractured ribs most of the season. DLaw, our highest paid defensive player just came back 2 weeks ago.

We have not had a soft season or schedule at all. Even when we played the Panthers early in the season they were on an upswing and undefeated. Washington was on a 4 game winning streak. They beat TB and Raiders in that streak. 2 teams we lost to.

The team you should be saying has had an easy schedule is TB, not us. They should have the toughest, but not even close.
I’m not interested is speculative assertions . My facts remain.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I’m not interested is speculative assertions . My facts remain.

Speculative assertions? We played the SB champs and runner ups this season. That's 2 losses. Lol!

You believe the Raiders game was well refereed?

GB didn't have to play us, nor have the Rams had to.

They grabbed Miller and Beckham for a reason. They have everything sunk into this season and the next and know they are not much better, if at all.

When we wreck Zona use that as a litmus test of what we are against GB.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with your whole sentiment and share the whole mindset and regard the organizational there lacking of in the playoffs the last 25 years.

It's MM's 2nd season and we're getting ready health wise and in all 3 facets of the game. I'm not worried about his preparation, his in game coaching/decisions and so forth.

The offense had to shoulder and play many snaps the first half of the year to win us games because the defense was dismantled from the 1st game injury wise and still learning a new system and philosophy.

By mid season, the injury toll of all those snaps the offense absorbed and Covid set backs started to show up. Missing talent and then lack of cohesion (rhythm) on that side of the ball has shown up. But we're getting healthier there too now and have some games to work out the cohesion again before the playoffs.

We're quietly in a nice spot and have some momentum.

I can see how MM is gearing up for the playoffs but also looking to go after that #1 seed.

If anyone knows GB it's this guy.

He took a Championship from us 5 years ago and got his own. Now we have him and it looks like his old team is our biggest challenge to get to the SB. TB, LAR and ARZ (once Hopkins is back) are all very highly competitive teams. Other than ARZ, they all have vast recent playoff experience also. It's a real tough year in the NFC and we're starting to trend back upwards at the right time.

This guy can go up against Belichick, Arians, McVay, Reid. He doesn't coach in any environment star struck. Injury permitting. I have a serious belief he will see Andy Reid again this year. The results will be what they are.

MM is not a choker and what happened in KC was they were 100% and we were at best 50% on the road. We held Mahomes without DLaw, Gregory and Gallimore playing. No Tyron Smith or Amari Cooper and Lamb leaving the game early.

TB we could and should have surprisingly won that game if not for the refs late in the game. The Raiders was all ref's. Broncos, we got a good whooping and deserved it.

At 90% healthy we can go with any team in the league and our only 2 road losses are in TB and KC. We can play in any environment and haven't had the opportunity to do so at 90% + yet.
The only thing I disagree with you is losing because of the refs. We don’t win because of them and we don’t lose because of them. I can agree NFL refereeing has been embarrassingly bad. But it’s been bad for all teams. You win because you made plays. You lose because you didn’t make enough.
Folks, also remember who our coach was before MM for 10 years.

The guy couldn't even finish the season as OC for the Giants this year.'

More facts.
Yeah, the guy our GM foolishly kept for a decade and bragged he would be hired again as a HC by a number of NFL teams….It’s JJ’s most glaring weakness- he has hired HCs because of how comfortable he was with them not their coaching skill. Let’s hope Mac is different.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Speculative assertions? We played the SB champs and runner ups this season. That's 2 losses. Lol!

You believe the Raiders game was well refereed?

GB didn't have to play us, nor have the Rams had to.

They grabbed Miller and Beckham for a reason. They have everything sunk into this season and the next and know they are not much better, if at all.

When we wreck Zona use that as a litmus test of what we are against GB.
We could argue we were lucky to beat the Chargers and Pats too. And I thought the call in Raiders game was correct while disheartening.

But again, I’m not interested in arguing those subjective thoughts.

And those losses to Tampa and KC are more examples if we’d played more SB contenders we’d of probably lost .

AKATheRake

Reaction score
The only thing I disagree with you is losing because of the refs. We don’t win because of them and we don’t lose because of them. I can agree NFL refereeing has been embarrassingly bad. But it’s been bad for all teams. You win because you made plays. You lose because you didn’t make enough.
Yeah, the guy our GM foolishly kept for a decade and bragged he would be hired again as a HC by a number of NFL teams….It’s JJ’s most glaring weakness- he has hired HCs because of how comfortable he was with them not their coaching skill. Let’s hope Mac is different.

- That is how it should be and I have even heard Bic Mac say that in a presser. But you take away a possession that eventually gave 7 points, that changes a game. You make a call for PI that eventually creates the points to win the game. That's 2 scores. Average winning margin is less than a TD in the NFL this time of year.

- Wholeheartedly agree. Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Garrett (These 3 were Jimmy's old boys but not Jimmy).

Regarding Big Mac. I find that he and the Joneses are definitely comfortable with one another but they both have their lines and MM might be the right balance. He had unique circumstances in GB with the way their organization is structured. The big chunky guy seems to be pretty adaptable. He even jaws at PR boss Rich Dalrymple.

Last edited:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
We could argue we were lucky to beat the Chargers and Pats too. And I thought the call in Raiders game was correct while disheartening.

But again, I’m not interested in arguing those subjective thoughts.

2) And those losses to Tampa and KC are more examples if we’d played more SB contenders we’d of probably lost .

1) Chargers were the 1 game I believe we should have lost but we left points off the board also. Pats, that environment, the refs, everything. We deserved that win. Subjective, but we deserved it.

2) I agree. We got better from those games I believe though. Subjective, but I believe. I also believe that any team in the league facing the 2 best teams from the season prior during the first half of the season is going to have at least 1 loss. Especially if you were 6-10 the season prior and dealing with all the injury/Covid losses to starters. I also believe, if we faced both teams in the next 2 weeks where they are on the road. We win 1 of those games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1) Chargers were the 1 game I believe we should have lost but we left points off the board also. Pats, that environment, the refs, everything. We deserved that win. Subjective, but we deserved it.

2) I agree. We got better from those games I believe though. Subjective, but I believe. I also believe that any team in the league facing the 2 best teams from the season prior during the first half of the season is going to have at least 1 loss. Especially if you were 6-10 the season prior and dealing with all the injury/Covid losses to starters. I also believe, if we faced both teams in the next 2 weeks where they are on the road. We win 1 of those games.
I hear ya. But I’m not much into the belief aspect. I base my analysis more on results .

The Pats win is looking like our marquee win this year.

ESisback

Reaction score
For all the hate he gets, his overall resume is second only to Belicheck among active head coaches. And yes they all had great QBs.

He gets hate because he’s fat. And he coaches Dallas.

ESisback

Reaction score
I hear ya. But I’m not much into the belief aspect. I base my analysis more on results .

The Pats win is looking like our marquee win this year.

You sound VERY into the belief aspect. You believe the Pats win is our marquee win, despite the fact that “crap” teams have beaten “good” teams all year. You “believe” you’re right. Unless it’s Green Bay playing Detroit or the Jets, it’s anyone’s guess. If you base everything on results, all the upsets mean something too.