CFZ Biggest embarrassment in Cowboys history- and it won't matter enough to Jerry

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is still available for a strong move by Jerry, even now...

The lopsided defeat could spell doom for head coach Mike McCarthy, and many fans floated Belichick as the most logical replacement thanks to his six Super Bowl titles with the New England Patriots.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported Monday on SportsCenter that people around the NFL "are on high alert with this job." On Belichick, he echoed Rapoport's reporting and said the Joneses "have cultivated a good relationship over the years" with the 71-year-old.

The writing was on the wall with Belichick midway through the season. That invited plenty of discourse as to where he might wind up next if he wanted to continue coaching. Along the same lines, another playoff collapse was foreseeable for the Cowboys—perhaps not to this scale—one that would necessitate a coaching change.

In November, NBC Sports' Peter King wrote "the Cowboys could be in play" for Belichick and compared his prospective hire to that of Bill Parcells in 2003. Days after that published, The MMQB's Albert Breer said on The Dan Patrick Show the Cowboys and Washington Commanders were the teams "most connected" to the surefire Hall of Famer.

bleacherreport

IceBowler

Reaction score
I agree completely with your premise however, I don't think the current system will allow what you propose - certainly not for an extended period of time.

First:
I agree completely with your premise however, I don't think the current system will allow what you propose - certainly not for an extended period of time.

1. Even if JJ were to "fire himself", the chances of him taking a back seat to whomever is remote at best.
  2. A new mindset and philosophy are crucial but, the modern athlete and Players Association do not and will not, allow a hard-nosed coach and staff to implement significant changes. The Landry/Lombardi days are over.
  3. The new coach can demand all he wants to but unless Jerry has a "closed door" attitude toward the players, nothing changes.
  4. Ah, this is a big one - the modern player is not made of the same stuff as the old guard. There is no self-respect, pride and certainly no accountability. Kind of reminds one of the country as a whole.
  5. Players are all about themselves, end of sentence, new paragraph. The new measuring stick for success isn't winning on the field when there's no accountability.
  6. Even if all of the things necessary to achieve the laundry list of things you propose were to occur, the Salary Cap and Free Agency precludes keeping enough quality players in the organization long enough to really build the kind of team/culture you're rightfully seeking. I will never forget when Ken Norton Jr. immediately left the team after winning the 92/93 SB. It was a harbinger of the "New NFL" and it morphed into what we all see as 'normal" now.

After a full 59 years with this team, last night finally did for me. It is sad that something which has brought me so much joy over my life has deteriorated into something I no longer can enjoy or, more importantly, respect. I dropped college ball with no problem this past season and now, the pro game, for me at least, is a part of what used to be. The only way I could continue with Dallas now would have to see, like you, a complete restructuring and rebuild. The current crew are not winners and more troubling, don't care if they are winners. And, if you look around, this isn't a Dallas-only condition.

I never thought I'd be here. For me at least, the Cowboys have outlasted, marriages, the birth of children, career changes and death. It is just terribly sad to see what this thing has become.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s time for Will to be called out as well. He hadn’t help build as good of team as some want to hype. Far too many holes. Which is a result of key misses in draft, especially on defense.
He was sooooo wrong about the ability of Mazi to step in this year and help. He sold Jerry on it. It’s all on video of the war room. Schoon was a terrible pick that we didn’t need. That shows me the cowboys didn’t know what they had in Ferguson. So, yeah , I’m not crying if McClay leaves for Washington.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was sooooo wrong about the ability of Mazi to step in this year and help. He sold Jerry on it. It’s all on video of the war room. Schoon was a terrible pick that we didn’t need. That shows me the cowboys didn’t know what they had in Ferguson. So, yeah , I’m not crying if McClay leaves for Washington.
McClay deserves some criticism. But if fans think letting him go for someone else will be a step in the right direction, I submit the 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2009 fantasy football drafts with Jerry and Giggles having fun. Until this organization owns their mistakes, nothing changes.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Jerry hasn’t been the primary, or even secondary, personnel decision maker for a decade. Will McClay is the GM when it comes to the draft in all but name and Stephen makes the vast majority of the final calls on extensions and FA signings. I don’t love that set up but it’s just wrong to claim things would be substantially different since 2013 if Jerry dropped the GM label.

The best thing he could do would be to give McClay de facto GM authority over all personnel decisions and relegate Stephen to keeping the financial records in line.
Would it?
To me McClay is part of the problem.
If he is the de facto GM then he's not been doing a great job has he?
There at least three of them in it, Jerry, Stephen and McClay, and what ever the division of responsibility they're not getting the job done!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
McClay deserves some criticism. But if fans think letting him go for someone else will be a step in the right direction, I submit the 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2009 fantasy football drafts with Jerry and Giggles having fun. Until this organization owns their mistakes, nothing changes.
No doubt up against Jethro & Son it shines a brighter light on Will. But if Will was on his own he might not survive out there on his own.

But yea, I agree. He’d be hard to replace.

Brax

Reaction score
I’m old enough to have watched all 67 Cowboys playoff games. All 36 wins and all 31 losses. That was the most embarrassing loss in Cowboys history. To be trucked at home by a 9-8 #7 seed is beyond inexcusable. It’s actually what this organization has become: A lazy embarrassment when it matters most.

As I watched that colossal failure tonight unfold into a 27-0 deficit with 2:00 left in the first half, I could not help but think that there is no other team in the entire playoffs who would have stunk it up that bad at home with everything in front of them. To lay an egg of that proportion in front of millions is not only disgusting, it is gutless.

But my fellow Cowboys fans, I can guarantee you one thing: It won’t change things much at the Star. Nope. If you think Jerry Jones is as mad as we fans are or is angry enough to make major changes throughout this organization, don't get your hopes up. I will predict it right now- there will be no Bill Belechick or Jim Harbaugh “to the rescue”. Because this ship sinks every year regardless of the HC.

Since our last SB, we’ve had 6 different HCs, and 8 different OCs and DCs. And one GM who won’t change. Promise you. He will be smiling this July at his putrid “State of the Cowboys” presser in “Ox-nerd” selling sand to all us fans in this 28 year desert. And most Cowboys fans will buy it again. Oh and expect Mike McCarthy to be seated with JJ and “Giggles” next July. Because JJ likes being comfortable more than he likes to be hungry.
Bob watched them all since 66 except for boot, this is the most pathetic and embarrassing loss I’ve ever witnessed. Totally unprepared and unmotivated play I’ve ever seen. It took GB putting in their 2nd and third stringers for Dak and Dallas to show any life, all those who said great against the weak teams average against the better was highlighted by this game. Will Jerry do what is right, most likely not as those garbage time stats and 12 wins will be enough again for him along with his pressers. I’m just waiting to see who the sacrificial lamb will be, if it’s not fatty then this franchise is doomed to keep repeating the failures again and again

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giving up 48 points yesterday was the worst playoff defensive performance in Cowboys history. Prior to yesterday, the worst was a 38-14 loss to Cleveland at the Cotton Bowl in 1969.

Yes, Dak was bad yesterday and deserves a ton of criticism. But don’t let Dan Quinn, Micah Parsons, and the rest of our defense escape ire. That was a historically pathetic performance from the defense. Jordan Love had a 157 QB rating yesterday.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m old enough to have watched all 67 Cowboys playoff games. All 36 wins and all 31 losses. That was the most embarrassing loss in Cowboys history. To be trucked at home by a 9-8 #7 seed is beyond inexcusable. It’s actually what this organization has become: A lazy embarrassment when it matters most.

As I watched that colossal failure tonight unfold into a 27-0 deficit with 2:00 left in the first half, I could not help but think that there is no other team in the entire playoffs who would have stunk it up that bad at home with everything in front of them. To lay an egg of that proportion in front of millions is not only disgusting, it is gutless.

But my fellow Cowboys fans, I can guarantee you one thing: It won’t change things much at the Star. Nope. If you think Jerry Jones is as mad as we fans are or is angry enough to make major changes throughout this organization, don't get your hopes up. I will predict it right now- there will be no Bill Belechick or Jim Harbaugh “to the rescue”. Because this ship sinks every year regardless of the HC.

Since our last SB, we’ve had 6 different HCs, and 8 different OCs and DCs. And one GM who won’t change. Promise you. He will be smiling this July at his putrid “State of the Cowboys” presser in “Ox-nerd” selling sand to all us fans in this 28 year desert. And most Cowboys fans will buy it again. Oh and expect Mike McCarthy to be seated with JJ and “Giggles” next July. Because JJ likes being comfortable more than he likes to be hungry.
I think (famous last words) I would rather be a fan of a team that is re-bulding, than one searching for that elusive piece to get them over the top. At least I feel that way about the Cowboys.

Running basically the same team onto the field next year with an expectation of incremental improvement just won't cut it.

This year was possibly the best chance the Cowboys had to make the SB in a quarter century: home field playoff games, high powered offense, aggressive defense, All Pros at every level... and then a complete collapse.

CCBoy

Reaction score

1. Even if JJ were to "fire himself", the chances of him taking a back seat to whomever is remote at best.
  2. A new mindset and philosophy are crucial but, the modern athlete and Players Association do not and will not, allow a hard-nosed coach and staff to implement significant changes. The Landry/Lombardi days are over.
  3. The new coach can demand all he wants to but unless Jerry has a "closed door" attitude toward the players, nothing changes.
  4. Ah, this is a big one - the modern player is not made of the same stuff as the old guard. There is no self-respect, pride and certainly no accountability. Kind of reminds one of the country as a whole.
  5. Players are all about themselves, end of sentence, new paragraph. The new measuring stick for success isn't winning on the field when there's no accountability.
  6. Even if all of the things necessary to achieve the laundry list of things you propose were to occur, the Salary Cap and Free Agency precludes keeping enough quality players in the organization long enough to really build the kind of team/culture you're rightfully seeking. I will never forget when Ken Norton Jr. immediately left the team after winning the 92/93 SB. It was a harbinger of the "New NFL" and it morphed into what we all see as 'normal" now.

After a full 59 years with this team, last night finally did for me. It is sad that something which has brought me so much joy over my life has deteriorated into something I no longer can enjoy or, more importantly, respect. I dropped college ball with no problem this past season and now, the pro game, for me at least, is a part of what used to be. The only way I could continue with Dallas now would have to see, like you, a complete restructuring and rebuild. The current crew are not winners and more troubling, don't care if they are winners. And, if you look around, this isn't a Dallas-only condition.

I never thought I'd be here. For me at least, the Cowboys have outlasted, marriages, the birth of children, career changes and death. It is just terribly sad to see what this thing has become.
I agree, only a soldier's life left no room for quit...

pitt33

Reaction score
Yes sir Bullet.

I’m also old enough to remember all the playoff games and SB’s.

And that is the reason I’m checking out on the Dallas Cowboys. I want to remember them as a once proud franchise. That is long gone and I don’t see it returning because of this Jones clamp on the organization.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

its on jerry a lot of it but they need to look at players as well dak wasnt the only player that sucked sam williams is a penality waiting to happen lots of their defense players are brain dead

triplets_93

Reaction score
Jerry is a Master Marketer. Whether his product is Prime Rib, or garbage, he can do the job. And the Company still prospers.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
This is the only organization in the NFL that would still keep its GM after this colossal collapse. Name one team in the league that would keep the same 81 year old GM with a 4-10 play-off record since 2000.
My kids are 7, 10, and 12 and they only know the Cowboys as losers. My 10 year old is afraid to admit to me he has a soft spot for the Rams. Each have asked me several times “Do I have to be a Cowboys fan?” my reply, “Yes!”

Prior to yesterday’s game, my 12 yr old daughter was telling me her friends were calling the Cowboys “losers” and they all predicted she would come to school on Tuesday with her head down. I told her they are the number two seed and will surely beat the Packers….

:banghead:

IceBowler

Reaction score
My kids are 7, 10, and 12 and they only know the Cowboys as losers. My 10 year old is afraid to admit to me he has a soft spot for the Rams. Each have asked me several times “Do I have to be a Cowboys fan?” my reply, “Yes!”

Prior to yesterday’s game, my 12 yr old daughter was telling me her friends were calling the Cowboys “losers” and they all predicted she would come to school on Tuesday with her head down. I told her they are the number two seed and will surely beat the Packers….

Haha- I formally released my 29 year old son from “bondage” last night. He told me it was, unfortunately, too late for him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its on jerry a lot of it but they need to look at players as well dak wasnt the only player that sucked sam williams is a penality waiting to happen lots of their defense players are brain dead
Saw that Sam Williams alone had four 15 yd penalties on STs this year. Just mind numbingly stupid.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My three sons are 40, 38 and 35. They loved the 90s. But my oldest son was 12 the last time the Cowboys even won a divisional playoff game. He’s been done with them along with my other two for many years. They are all big Mavs, Rangers and Stars fans though.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Another problem is Jerry worried about Philly and what Detroit was doing versus what Dallas was doing. We have complete disfunction at the top and expect great at the bottom. Doesn't work like that. It starts at the top and oozes down.