Bill Belichick's new book.... Parcells diss

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Is not written by him. I am not sure why the obvious is not pointed out. Its by the author David Halberstam.

So I see bunch of people going back and forth about BB dissing BP etc., but I am not sure if this the book that Bill Belichek distanced himself from it or another book, where he basically was apparently dissing BP about talking to other teams while or during the week of NE playing in SB, in BP era.

Just wanted to pointed that out, since seems like that thread will be a long one :D I guess Mods if you want to merge it into that one, feel free.

Its written in the preface that its a cooperative work between Belichick and Halberstam.

It was originally supposed to be an autobiography but Belichick didnt want to toot his own horn so they decided to write on how a coach evolves.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I also want to add that Bellichek's first year with the Patriots led to a 5-11 season. So if the system was perfectly set up for him, why did he fail so miserably that first year?

I can explain why the Patriots had much more success the next season. It's simple; Bellichek opened up more to his players and they finally bought into his system. Bellichek never demonstrated any emotion at all in Cleveland and his first year with the Patriots. Even his notorious cockiness that he demonstrates now was absent back then. Back then he was a quiet hermit who stuck to himself.

In 2001, he finally showed some emotion by predicting they would win and by standing by his players. It created instant chemistry on that team and they bonded.

The evidence speaks for itself. The patriots started the 2001 season 0-2. By mid-season, they were 4-4, which is hardly indicative of a team that is going to win the Superbowl. They lost only one more game the rest of the season. So it was obvious, something caused a spark mid-season and that was Bellichek when he went off on that rant to the media. That caused his team to finally start buying into his blue-collar "the world is against us" attitude.

If Bellichek had not started showing some emotion and opening up to his players, they would have continued down the Cleveland Brown path.

That "Spark" would be Tom Brady, not Bill Beli*rick.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Is not written by him. I am not sure why the obvious is not pointed out. Its by the author David Halberstam.

:eek:

You mean Bill Belichick has been judged and executed by the Cowboy fan nation and he might not have actually disrespected Bill Parcells?

I mean he already is a piss-poor, sorry excuse for a human being.:rolleyes:

Givincer

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
But did Parcells rebuild the Patriots and Jets by himself or was Bellichek at his side the entire time?

Bellichek finished 5-11 in his first year with the Patriots so how much talent did they have? And the following year, (the year they won their 1st SB) they were 4-4 at midseason? So how loaded with talent was that team. I thought the Rams team they defeated in the Superbowl was much more talented as was the Raiders team they defeated in the playoffs that year. Also, they didn't win the following year. They finished 9-7 despite not losing any major players. If they were so loaded with talent, why didn' they win the following year in 2002?

Youre going to argue that the Patriots franchise was in dire straits being a 5-11 team when Bellichick arrived them then surely you have to mention that they were 10-6 9-7 and 8-8 under Pete Caroll's reign after Parcells left them with an 11-5 loss in the superbowl. So in 4 years Parcells took a team that was a combined 9-39 in the prior 3 seasons to his arrival to the superbowl. As opposed to Bellichick who in 2 years took a team who was 27-21 in the prior 3 years to his arrival to the superbowl and won it

And as for your question about Parcells success depending on Bellichick
I think you're seeing the answer to your first question by the way Parcells is dealing with the Cowboys... Do you personally like the direction the Cowboys organization is headed in?

Secondly, could the Patriots under the great Bill Bellichick have won the 2001 superbowl without Drew Bledsoe (his victory in the AFC championship game in 2001), Willie McGinist, Tedy Bruschi, Ty Law, Ted Johnson and Lawyer Milloy?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Rack said:
Parcells got Beli*rick his Cleveland job, and then took him back after he FAILED.

Then he got him ANOTHER job (Jets) and Beli*rick stabbed him in the back and went to NE instead.

Parcells pretty much MADE Beli*rick and he's never given him credit.

What a piss-poor, sorry excuse for a human being.

What about Parcells having telephone discussions about another job on the eve of the Superbowl? Do you call that a classy move? He left the Patriots because Bob Kraft made him draft Terry Glenn. Is that what you call classy or selfish? On the eve of their Superbowl, he is more focused about getting a new job as opposed to focusing on his existing team.

Parcells wasn't taking pity on Bellichek. He was desperate to get him. Parcells was so desperate to acquire Bellichek that he hired him as his "Defensive Backs" coach wink wink...at the last minute. Everyone knows Bellichek was the true defensive coordinator and that he would have been made the Defensive Coordinator if Al Groh had not already been hired for the position. Gee, it sounds a lot like Sean Payton and Maurice Carthon! Hell, Parcells would have hired Bellichek as his kicking coach if he had to create a spot for him just to get him on his coaching staff.

Givincer

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Fair enough but which franchise did Parcells rebuild by himself without Bellichek at his disposal. At the end of last season, his record with the Cowboys was below .500. This year remains to be seen although it looks promising.

The true litmus test for Parcells is his tenure with the Cowboys. He has no Bellichek this time. Can he win without Bellichek? We won't know the answer to that question until he leaves the organization.

Actually Parcells record was .500 at the end of last season. We'll see how this Parcells reign in Dallas ends up. But I have a question for you do you like the direction the Cowboys organization is headed in with the draft they just had and the FA's they brought in over the off season?

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I just noticed.... Belichick's name is spelled about 400 different ways in this thread.

:lmao:

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JuliusCaesar said:
Youre going to argue that the Patriots franchise was in dire straits being a 5-11 team when Bellichick arrived them then surely you have to mention that they were 10-6 9-7 and 8-8 under Pete Caroll's reign after Parcells left them with an 11-5 loss in the superbowl. So in 4 years Parcells took a team that was a combined 9-39 in the prior 3 seasons to his arrival to the superbowl. As opposed to Bellichick who in 2 years took a team who was 27-21 in the prior 3 years to his arrival to the superbowl and won it

Obviously Parcells inherited a much worse franchise. But to suggest that Bellichik walked into this plethora of talent is also ridiculous. I just fail to see how a team that is so loaded with talent finished 5-11 and starts the next season 1-3 (4-4 by midseason) to suddenly win the Superbowl. Are you suggesting the Patriots were as talented as the Cowboys or previous dynasties simply because they won 3 Superbowls?

And as for your question about Parcells success depending on Bellichick I think you're seeing the answer to your first question by the way Parcells is dealing with the Cowboys... Do you personally like the direction the Cowboys organization is headed in?

We have 8 more games left. I'm not going to make any judgement (good or bad) until the end of the season. To be honest with you, I think our record is a little inflated because the NFC is really weak this year so yes, we have that going for us. I like many of Parcells moves he has made particularly on his drafting of players.

Secondly, could the Patriots under the great Bill Bellichick have won the 2001 superbowl without Drew Bledsoe (his victory in the AFC championship game in 2001), Willie McGinist, Tedy Bruschi, Ty Law, Ted Johnson and Lawyer Milloy?

He didn't win it with those players in 2000 or 2002 for that matter. I will tell you this. I don't Parcells would have won any of his Superbowls without Bellichek. I don't think Parcells could have stopped the Colts without 4 of their starters missing in their defensive backfield.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
DBoys said:
BP gift wrapped that NE team for Belichek we will see how he does now that the talent BP brought in is getting old.

Something like 8 first round picks form BP still starting from NE, thats insane.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
I just noticed.... Belichick's name is spelled about 400 different ways in this thread.

:lmao:

I have to admit I have a difficult time overcoming my mental block on the correct spelling.:confused:

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JuliusCaesar said:
Actually Parcells record was .500 at the end of last season. We'll see how this Parcells reign in Dallas ends up. But I have a question for you do you like the direction the Cowboys organization is headed in with the draft they just had and the FA's they brought in over the off season?

If you accounted for our loss in the playoffs, it's below .500 but I won't argue that because that is rather nitpicky and I'm fine with saying .500.

Yes and no. I like the young talent Parcells has infused on the defense. I don't like how Parcells has failed to develop a young QB on our team and resorted to older veterans like Bledsoe, Glenn and Keyshawn. They are playing well this season so I'm not going to criticize them but in regards to our future, we really don't have people in the waiting.

Again, I'm not going to play genie because I have no idea what will happen this season. That's what makes this season exciting. I think the momentum is on our side so I'm hoping we can go far this season. And if we should, Parcells would have silenced a lot of his critics.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Why does that speak volumes? That's just your interpretation. Sure, I see where you are coming from. You could see it as him being jealous or envious of Parcells and deliberately fails to give him any credit to spite him.

Or maybe, Bellichik is just being honest and doesn't feel indebted to providing Parcells credit simply because he was his boss for several years.

When the Patriots played us in 2003, Bellichek just put on a clinic and exposed Parcells. And that was during Parcell's 10-6 season. I didn't get any indication that Parcells taugh Bellichek a thing or two. Those schemes didn't look like anything Parcells was implementing with Dallas at the time.

Are you freakin' kidding me??!?!

You think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the TALENT on the teams' roster MIGHT have had SOMETHING to do with the outcome of that game?

Freakin' amazing how ignorant people are sometimes.

wileedog

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't like how Parcells has failed to develop a young QB on our team and resorted to older veterans like Bledsoe, Glenn and Keyshawn. They are playing well this season so I'm not going to criticize them but in regards to our future, we really don't have people in the waiting.

QB I might give you, although I think there is a philosophical question on how to build a team that underlies it.

However how many other teams have good, young WRs ready to go just waiting for the guys in front of them to retire? Plus I think you're discounting Crayton, who has all the makings of a fine replacement for Keyshawn. Having a 23 year old All Pro TE all takes a lot of pressure having young core of WRs on hand too.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Rack said:
Are you freakin' kidding me??!?!

You think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the TALENT on the teams' roster MIGHT have had SOMETHING to do with the outcome of that game?

Freakin' amazing how ignorant people are sometimes.

We were SHUT OUT. And you act like we lacked talent. We were 10-6 that year so you can't use that weak excuse.

Seriously, some people will make excuses to no end just to support their opinion. Face it, Parcells was owned by Bellichek. If you were around the forum back then, you would remember that even the staunchest Parcell advocated admitted he was outcoached.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
wileedog said:
QB I might give you, although I think there is a philosophical question on how to build a team that underlies it.

However how many other teams have good, young WRs ready to go just waiting for the guys in front of them to retire? Plus I think you're discounting Crayton, who has all the makings of a fine replacement for Keyshawn. Having a 23 year old All Pro TE all takes a lot of pressure having young core of WRs on hand too.

Not to mention Julius Jones and our bevy of talented RB's. So I'm not going to be an extremist and blast Parcells entirely in this area. I understand Parcells philosophy. He isn't getting younger and he wants to win now. So he can't wait and babysit a young QB and allow him to develop. But I don't know if that is necessarily what is best for the franchise. Parcells is taking a big gamble. He is essentially betting we will win this year or next year, because after that, it could get ugly. I don't think Crayton is a replacement for Keyshawn, no offense to him. Crayton is a solid player but he doesn't look like a #1 receiver to me.