Bill Callahan built this OL

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So the OL coach is the problem now? The one who coached the OL to a rushing The OL coach is the least of our problems, the lack of adjustments and getting throttled in the second half is the biggest problem. Collapsing due to some players being out is a big problem. Not having receiving weapons with any speed or separation is a big problem.
I agree. This is a bogus thread pissing in the wrong place. Callahan was a great coach but he also had a personality that was corrosive to the coaching staff. I don't know how many times I've heard about he and JG getting into it about things after Jason had already made up his mind on how he wanted things. It was Callahan's decision to walk and just made worse by him deciding to go to a division rival. The revisionist history being recounted now by some of you is ridiculous.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Just a thought here, but I would submit that each of Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, and Tyron Smith may all be playing the worst years they have been playing as pros. Couple this with the fact that we haven't added a quality starting or backup OL since he left. I think it's actually something that is starting to be a real concern.

I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I know he took a lateral move to our most hated rival. That doesn't happen by accident. And say what you will about the Commanders, he has done an unbelievable job seeing all the injuries they've had to deal with.
Great Post, Our O line has not been the same since he left : (

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I think this has more to do with Pollock than it does anything else. Its a fair criticism.

Just recall that Houck did fine before Callahan came in. The OL was fine until Tyron went out though. I think people are steeped in some recency bias.
Was he there for 2012?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Just a thought here, but I would submit that each of Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, and Tyron Smith may all be playing the worst years they have been playing as pros. Couple this with the fact that we haven't added a quality starting or backup OL since he left. I think it's actually something that is starting to be a real concern.

I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I know he took a lateral move to our most hated rival. That doesn't happen by accident. And say what you will about the Commanders, he has done an unbelievable job seeing all the injuries they've had to deal with.

I remember being worried that losing Callahan would bite us in the butt.

Plankton

Reaction score
That and his contract expired ......there were also reports of friction between he and Garrett. In fact by the time he left they were barely speaking. Remember he was the offensive coor the year before we brought in Linehan.

Supposedly, Callahan called Garrett a synonym for female genitalia in a coaches meeting toward the end of his stay in Dallas. To quote the late Frank Gifford, "Boy, these two really don't like each other."

canters

Reaction score
He ultimately left in a huff because he could not call plays. He had a habit of not staying anywhere for long and could not get along Rex Ryan in NY and left, in a huff before coming here.

Our problems on the Oline seem related to personnel changes and a lack of depth when Smith got hurt.

When we had the 3 game winning streak the Oline was playing well. Even Cooper was playing well.

Reactions: CWR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is pretty much it. There was bad blood between he and Garrett re play calling, and Garrett didn't like the way he was doing it. They held him to his contract for an extra year, and then he was pissed when he bailed.

Callahan has a reputation for being pretty difficult to work with. It was an issue with both the Jets and the Raiders too.
Yes, Callahan and Garrett hated each other.

It started when Callahan wanted to bench Free and start Parnell but Garrett refused. Callahan eventually appealed to Jerry and the compromise was to have them alternate series for the final 4 games that sesson. The following season Jerry promoted Callahan to play caller over Garrett after Callahan lobbied Jerry for the job.

Callahan failed as play caller and they hired Linehan. Callahan wanted to leave but Jerry would not let him out of his contract which had 1 year remaining.

Dre11

Reaction score

Yet they haven't been able to run the ball since he's been there.

Dre11

Reaction score
There is a reason why the Deasdskins OL looks functional even with all their injuries and having to play someone they just signed off of the streets.
Have you been watching their games...lol Cousins been taking a beating. Stop making s up

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Callahan and Garrett hated each other.

It started when Callahan wanted to bench Free and start Parnell but Garrett refused. Callahan eventually appealed to Jerry and the compromise was to have them alternate series for the final 4 games that sesson. The following season Jerry promoted Callahan to play caller over Garrett after Callahan lobbied Jerry for the job.

Callahan failed as play caller and they hired Linehan. Callahan wanted to leave but Jerry would not let him out of his contract which had 1 year remaining.

Wait...where'd you get the info on Jerry being involved in splitting reps between Free and Parnell? That's definitely the first time I've heard that. That would be big news around here, with the owner putting the play caller on a par with his HC.

Dre11

Reaction score
There is a reason why the Deasdskins OL looks functional even with all their injuries and having to play someone they just signed off of the streets.
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/11/kirk-cousins-Commanders-contract-offer/

renny

Reaction score

He wanted to call the offensives plays but was not allowed in favor of Linehan. With the way the OL was developed he should have been the OC.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait...where'd you get the info on Jerry being involved in splitting reps between Free and Parnell? That's definitely the first time I've heard that. That would be big news around here, with the owner putting the play caller on a par with his HC.

Callahan obviously had Jerry's ear because he got the playing calling job over objections from Garrett.

The Callahan-Jerry connection was widely discussed on local sports talk radio at the time including play calling and Free/Parnell. Garrett still plays Witten 100% of the snaps. He was also attached to Free in a similar manner. Remember after last season before Free was gone, Garrett said La'el was a Guard only? Then Free departed and by April La'el was on OT.

Zman5

Reaction score
Have you been watching their games...lol Cousins been taking a beating. Stop making s up

I watched both of their games. He didn't get beat up like Dak has against ATL. The reason Cousins gets hit more is because Cousins attempts more deep balls than Dak does. Did you watch the games?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Well why did he leave

More or less, Scott Linehan was brought in as the offensive coordinator, when he was the running game coordinator or some other made up title. He took it as an insult and was in a contract year, and left.