Bill Callahan built this OL

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Just a thought here, but I would submit that each of Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, and Tyron Smith may all be playing the worst years they have been playing as pros. Couple this with the fact that we haven't added a quality starting or backup OL since he left. I think it's actually something that is starting to be a real concern.

I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I know he took a lateral move to our most hated rival. That doesn't happen by accident. And say what you will about the Commanders, he has done an unbelievable job seeing all the injuries they've had to deal with.

So La’el Collins isn’t a quality player or do I have my years mixed up?

Zman5

Reaction score
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/11/kirk-cousins-Commanders-contract-offer/

Go watch the the Deadskins vs Saints and then go watch Cowboys vs ATL . Maybe if you actually watch these games, you'll see who got the worse beating.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll venture a guess that it might very well be just a matter of time before Frank Pollock is held responsible for the demise of our OL. They simply aren't what they once were after Callahan left and may never perform to that level again barring a change. Is it fair to say Pollock is to blame? Only time will tell and the clock is ticking.

It seems fairly evident that the Dallas OL's play gradually began a gradual downward trend when Callahan eventually decided to depart from the team. He was generally regarded as the best OL coach in the NFL. Pollock had not only a tough act to follow but perhaps an impossible one.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wait...where'd you get the info on Jerry being involved in splitting reps between Free and Parnell? That's definitely the first time I've heard that. That would be big news around here, with the owner putting the play caller on a par with his HC.
And you find that shocking?

waving monkey

Reaction score
I think this has more to do with Pollock than it does anything else. Its a fair criticism.

Just recall that Houck did fine before Callahan came in. The OL was fine until Tyron went out though. I think people are steeped in some recency bias.
recency bias hum always learn something here

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you find that shocking?

I find parts of it pretty believable, but there are details there I've never seen before and that sound like an interpretation of what happened.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
So La’el Collins isn’t a quality player or do I have my years mixed up?

La'el Collins may have the most potential out of ANY of the lineman that we have drafted in the first round. So, you tell me, what exactly has Frank Pollack turned that potential into?

By most standards Collins would be a decent lineman, but for him being decent should be a major disappointment.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
There is a reason why the Deasdskins OL looks functional even with all their injuries and having to play someone they just signed off of the streets.

Can you imagine what that would look like here?

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Have you been watching their games...lol Cousins been taking a beating. Stop making s up

He took a beating their first game together. They looked a lot better against the Seahawks and Saints.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Yes, Callahan and Garrett hated each other.

It started when Callahan wanted to bench Free and start Parnell but Garrett refused. Callahan eventually appealed to Jerry and the compromise was to have them alternate series for the final 4 games that sesson. The following season Jerry promoted Callahan to play caller over Garrett after Callahan lobbied Jerry for the job.

Callahan failed as play caller and they hired Linehan. Callahan wanted to leave but Jerry would not let him out of his contract which had 1 year remaining.

Say what you want but the guy knows how to coach OL. He was right about Parnell.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
La'el Collins may have the most potential out of ANY of the lineman that we have drafted in the first round. So, you tell me, what exactly has Frank Pollack turned that potential into?

By most standards Collins would be a decent lineman, but for him being decent should be a major disappointment.

We’ll, id disagree that La’el has/had the most potential out of our linemen. Tyron and Martin were both superior prospects. I also think Collins is playing far better than decent, which isn’t really a compliment or a knock on Pollack.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suppose it's natural to start pointing fingers when you're not playing well. Nobody's safe. Lol.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fans calling for Jason head but it's OL coaching position where I think we may def see a change. The standards for this unit is are pretty high as they should be with 3 first rounders invested ( 4 talent wise with Collins ). The decision to play Green over Bell last week was the final straw for me. The fact that Bell took over for a struggling ( that's putting it mile ) Green during the Falcons game and played fairly decent against the Eagles ( although he had help) is on the position coach IMO. He's with the player every day. No excuse for him not knowing the better player. I would hope we focus the offseason on signing the BEST OL coach available.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The O-Line was great in 2015 and 2016. We had a 4 game stretch when we made Cooper the starter where we were still the best O-Line in football. Then Tyron got hurt and that changed. But that happens when your All Pro LT gets injured.

We'll see how La'el Collins turns out. I think it's only fair to give Collins at least 1-year and then decide on him. It takes time to get good at a major positional change like Collins has made.

Where I think we made the mistake was putting Green at LG. Green was very good at LT in place of Tyron last year. But we moved him to LG and Cooper is the better LG of the two...by a long shot. So we screwed up there. And Green wasn't ready to play LT when we switched him back. I do think Byron Bell was reasonably good against the Eagles...we had other issues.

So outside of the move to Green to be the starting LG I am not sure what Callahan would do differently. Before you say move Green to RT...that's relying on him staying healthy.

But, in a year or so if we can stay healthy on the O-Line and Cooper continues to play like he has been playing and if Collins makes that improvement with a year full of starting reps and Green gets back to his 2016 form...we would still have the best O-Line in football.

YR

canters

Reaction score
Then how do you explain Collins lack of development, Green's decline, and the compete lack of any depth behind any of the starting 5?
Bad personnel decisions and cap issues explain the lack of depth.

It is too soon to say Collins cannot play RT. He has not be as good as most hoped, but he should get more time before being condemned and forced to leave the human race by our fans.

JJ hinted at a physical issue with Green’s lower body that is a factor with his decline. I and others here have teased that he was and is soft, but maybe there is something wrong with him. If so, he is gone from the NFL soon. I seem to remember there was an issue with an injury (hip) when he was drafted. Maybe JJ just made a BooBoo by drafting BooBoo.

Last year the OL was very very good and both Dak and Zeke benefited from same. We lost two starters and replaced them with a new RT and a journeyman OG, who had played well of late before Smith went out and a chronically injured guy who was good when healthy, which was infrequently.

Pollack was hired when JJ and JG realized Callahan had a personality issue with the rest of the staff to eventually replace Callahan. Both teach the same techniques. Callahan endorsed Pollack as he left. I tend to place blame for our issues on other factors other than Pollack.

And BTW, don’t assume Callahan stays in DC long either. Where has he remained for long? The grass may be greener over there, but it could be related to all the bull crap laying on the ground fertilizing the grass.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Bad personnel decisions and cap issues explain the lack of depth.

It is too soon to say Collins cannot play RT. He has not be as good as most hoped, but he should get more time before being condemned and forced to leave the human race by our fans.

JJ hinted at a physical issue with Green’s lower body that is a factor with his decline. I and others here have teased that he was and is soft, but maybe there is something wrong with him. If so, he is gone from the NFL soon. I seem to remember there was an issue with an injury (hip) when he was drafted. Maybe JJ just made a BooBoo by drafting BooBoo.

Last year the OL was very very good and both Dak and Zeke benefited from same. We lost two starters and replaced them with a new RT and a journeyman OG, who had played well of late before Smith went out and a chronically injured guy who was good when healthy, which was infrequently.

Pollack was hired when JJ and JG realized Callahan had a personality issue with the rest of the staff to eventually replace Callahan. Both teach the same techniques. Callahan endorsed Pollack as he left. I tend to place blame for our issues on other factors other than Pollack.

And BTW, don’t assume Callahan stays in DC long either. Where has he remained for long? The grass may be greener over there, but it could be related to all the bull crap laying on the ground fertilizing the grass.

Oh I'm not saying La'el is a bust or anything, but he had definitely not made the strides I'd hoped for. Even at guard he wasn't performing at a high level. I how you are right but there is nothing IMO that suggests to me that Pollack is a good coach.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
The O-Line was great in 2015 and 2016. We had a 4 game stretch when we made Cooper the starter where we were still the best O-Line in football. Then Tyron got hurt and that changed. But that happens when your All Pro LT gets injured.

We'll see how La'el Collins turns out. I think it's only fair to give Collins at least 1-year and then decide on him. It takes time to get good at a major positional change like Collins has made.

Where I think we made the mistake was putting Green at LG. Green was very good at LT in place of Tyron last year. But we moved him to LG and Cooper is the better LG of the two...by a long shot. So we screwed up there. And Green wasn't ready to play LT when we switched him back. I do think Byron Bell was reasonably good against the Eagles...we had other issues.

So outside of the move to Green to be the starting LG I am not sure what Callahan would do differently. Before you say move Green to RT...that's relying on him staying healthy.

But, in a year or so if we can stay healthy on the O-Line and Cooper continues to play like he has been playing and if Collins makes that improvement with a year full of starting reps and Green gets back to his 2016 form...we would still have the best O-Line in football.

YR

The Eagles have at all points this season had the best line in football. We were never at the top. And this season also has had way more OL penalties than I can remember in recent years. I wouldn't say our OK was having a good year even before Tyron went down.