Bills Game: Worst Performances

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We get it you like brown, but he isnt that good. Average at best

It's all relative. On the half-way point between Lewis and Deion, Brown is on the side closer to Deion than to Lewis even if there are 1000 players between Brown and Deion.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
@xwalker , I respect what you do here with the reviews, but you do seem a bit biased with regard to this game. Honestly, how many players can cover Beasley one on one in the slot?

And I still think Dak was holding the ball too long on several plays.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis was really bad. Cole Beasley looked like Jerry Rice with Lewis trying to cover him. The Cowboys really miss Anthony Brown.

Strong Safety Thompson was bad. If you draw a line from Thompson to Darren Woodson in regards to ability and then draw a line at the mid-point, Jeff Heath would be on the side of the mid-point closer to Woodson than to Thompson. Yes, Thompson has been that bad. Where is Donovan Wilson or Josh Jones. Hopefully Heath returns soon!

Xavier Su'a-Filo was bad. He directly caused the ball to be knocked out of Dak's hand as he was throwing. The Cowboys were so desperate for a decent LG that they put Connor Williams back in the game without figuring out that he had torn ligament in his knee.

It is amazing that Devin Smith is so bad that he can't even make the 46.

On a positive note, LB Luke Gifford looked great on Special Teams.

On Xavier play it was Dak’s fault for holding on to the ball. He held his guy for 4 secs

exciter

Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis was really bad. Cole Beasley looked like Jerry Rice with Lewis trying to cover him. The Cowboys really miss Anthony Brown.

Strong Safety Thompson was bad. If you draw a line from Thompson to Darren Woodson in regards to ability and then draw a line at the mid-point, Jeff Heath would be on the side of the mid-point closer to Woodson than to Thompson. Yes, Thompson has been that bad. Where is Donovan Wilson or Josh Jones. Hopefully Heath returns soon!

Xavier Su'a-Filo was bad. He directly caused the ball to be knocked out of Dak's hand as he was throwing. The Cowboys were so desperate for a decent LG that they put Connor Williams back in the game without figuring out that he had torn ligament in his knee.

On a positive note, LB Luke Gifford looked great on Special Teams.
If you read the training camp reports by I think it was Broadus, the last 2 seasons Brown beat him out in training camp both years and it wasn't even close. But there's the narrative Lewis isn't starting because he's an inch shorter. That said Beasley is a tough cover, he was motivated, and probably in his QBs and teammates ear all week to make sure he had a good game.

Heath is not nearly as bad as the narrative on him. But hey, it is what it is!

Suafilo was atrocious. I didn't really get the narrative on William's all year... thought he had played fairly well for the most part. Now we know why this team gave up 50 sacks last year!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Though it was on, I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the game.

Beasley is uncoverable with one DB. Cowboy fans should know this. Did we scheme some LB bracketing help on Beasley, or was it our usual "next man up", "we do what we do" garbage? I'm guessing the latter. I'm not going to give Lewis grief for failing to single cover a guy who can't be single covered.

Thompson's numbers for the season are awful, and his QB rating when thrown on was actually *good* before he ever started a game. Around 60. Now it's 131. Think of how awful he must be to yield a rating of 131, *then* think of how awful he must have been *in his starts* to flip his season score from 60 to 131.

GOAT!

Reviewing game stats, I was wondering just how we lost. It's really not surprising. Turnovers. Missed FGs. One thing that stuck out was sacks. 4. Granted that Dak threw almost 50, but that's a lot of sacks. How many of those sacks did XSF have a hand in? His relative weakness is pass protection.

Why not play Looney over XSF? Looney was demonstrably not awful starting last year.

Back to your banging on Devin Smith. The fact remains that his QB rating when thrown to is in the 130s. Probably highest on the team at this point. Cooper had justed edged him out when I last looked.

Smith was also one of the top college gunners of his draft class, so there's no known excuse for the team not to make him active for games. It's much like how he was just ignored by the writers during the offseason and training camp. But when it came time for preseason games, he stood out from the lower tier WRs. He could execute where they could not. Then he stood out in the season. Then was made inactive nevertheless, which completely screwed us in the Jets game.

Maybe he slept with somebody's girl. Maybe he said something negative about the Red Menace. For whatever reason, the team has treated Smith like persona non grata since we signed him, despite being a consensus 2nd round pick who we got because of his recurring health issues, but who is healthy now and performing like a consensus 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And we used to pray teams would leave Bease with single coverage. Usually the good teams would shade an LB his way. We, in our infinite wisdom, decided single DB coverage was good enough, even though we know what he can do vs that. That's not Jourdans fault, it's incredibly hard to cover Bease in the slot alone.

"We do what we do".

I didn't watch the game closely enough to know if we failed to scheme Lewis some help against Beasley, but I suspected as much when Beasley blew up on us.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That said Beasley is a tough cover, he was motivated, and probably in his QBs and teammates ear all week to make sure he had a good game.

Maybe also in his coaches' ears on how to beat the Cowboys defense. "Those morons won't give their DB help against me. They do what they do. I'll be open all game."

exciter

Reaction score
Maybe also in his coaches' ears on how to beat the Cowboys defense. "Those morons won't give their DB help against me. They do what they do. I'll be open all game."
So dedicate double coverage to a 5'8, 4.57 receiver who's averaging a paltry 10.7 ypc for the season?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So dedicate double coverage to a 5'8, 4.57 receiver who's averaging a paltry 10.7 ypc for the season?

6 of 7, 110 yards, 1 td. No one else on the Bills broke 40.

So yeah. Give help to stop Beasley. It doesn't have to be double. Just some LB help to bracket him.