Bitcoin. Any experts/owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Don’t believe the Ponzi scheme hype bro.

Maybe bitcoin isn’t the future. But the technology that is uses is. Maybe another coin will be the future. The Blockchain technology is wonderful.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yes.

I work in software, have actively invested for about 6 months. Been following for a few years, didn't really feel comfortable until ~8 months ago, paper traded for a few months.

It's not going anywhere. Bitcoin, itself, is inefficient but the market has determined it a new store of value. There won't be any serious technology built on "Bitcoin" itself.

The future is the thought process when the creator created Bitcoin itself. Crowdsourcing decentralization in every aspect. And that's where technology is headed, as well as being a logical next step in our technological advancement.

It's becoming a soft of arms race, with different tokens representing different use cases, developed in different areas of the world. It's quite fascinating.

Just for the record, since investing, I have net more profit in 6 months than I have in 18 months as a software engineer, and that number is increasing as my investments grow. I plan to take a hiatus from my "professional" life for 6-12 months and trade full-time. After that, I'll see where my interests take me.

Since this has gone mainstream to the extent it has, it has undoubtedly created an investment bubble. The technology isn't going anywhere, but you have 50 year old housemoms investing now. That's usually a sign.

I predicted a $1 trillion market cap in cryptocurrencies in late July when the market was around $100 billion total, I was laughed at by some of the higher ups in the space. Now it's accelerating beyond even my expectations. I expect 2-3$ trillion in 2018, and will be planning an exit as it creeps higher.

The money was attractive to me, obviously, but the main reason I got interested in this space was because of the technology. There are so many interesting projects that I've spent entire nights reading about them. It's a little disappointing that all this new money coming only cares about one thing, "gains", and maybe 1 out of 20 can tell you anything about the actual tech or competition in those spaces.

Oh well.

ChipChip

Reaction score
Start an account on one of the exchanges and throw a couple bucks in every month - don't put you life savings into it. One of the more popular exchanges is called coinbase - right now you can buy, Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin (three of the more popular alt coins). The next big coin will most likely be the next coin added to coinbase (alot of people are betting on Ripple (XRP)). Its pretty interesting tech given that you can transfer thousands of dollars worth of coins almost instantly and anonymously.

ChipChip

Reaction score
You also just described the US Dollar

Another interesting thing to point out - there will only ever be 21 Million Bitcoin (I think thats the number) - so as you point out there is no ability of a central bank to devalue aka print more money.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Another interesting thing to point out - there will only ever be 21 Million Bitcoin (I think thats the number) - so as you point out there is no ability of a central bank to devalue aka print more money.
I think the problem in this discussion, like most things in our country, is that people are on one extreme or the other. Its either going to change the world or its trash. You can think both that it has merit and is a viable asset as part of a diversified portfolio and not put your life savings into it.

I bought in September and sold yesterday for $7,500 in profits. Ill buy back in at some point. It will have its ups and downs, but I dont think its going to disappear.

Them

Reaction score
Bitcoin-questions.jpg

...Hawkeye...you can get a lot of Bit coin info at this link...
https://www.komando.com/tips/433745...=special&utm_content=2017-12-15-article-title

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think the problem in this discussion, like most things in our country, is that people are on one extreme or the other. Its either going to change the world or its trash. You can think both that it has merit and is a viable asset as part of a diversified portfolio and not put your life savings into it.

I bought in September and sold yesterday for $7,500 in profits. Ill buy back in at some point. It will have its ups and downs, but I dont think its going to disappear.
Did you have a % of one coin?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I just started a thread in the NFLZone about Darren Mcfadden and Bitcoin

He said he gave his money guy 3 million years ago to buy Bitcoins but he never did

It would be worth 237 million today...... wow

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Buy high, die poor. :)

If everyone is talking about a <insert investment here>. The risk is already through the roof. Could you still make money? Yes, could you lose your (bleep) just as quickly!

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Buy high, die poor. :)

If everyone is talking about a <insert investment here>. The risk is already through the roof. Could you still make money? Yes, could you lose your (bleep) just as quickly!
One share of Berkshire Hathaway just hit $300k yesterday. You could have said that about it literally any time in the past thirty years and you would have been wrong. Ditto for gold.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
One share of Berkshire Hathaway just hit $300k yesterday. You could have said that about it literally any time in the past thirty years and you would have been wrong. Ditto for gold.

You can say that just about any stock if you trigger a enough reverse splits to raise the prices to those levels. Warren Buffett has never issued a stock split in the entire history of BH. If you go back several years. High priced stocks for the most part didn't exist (except in a few cases) because the companies wanted people to be able to afford the stock so there would be liquidity. It was only recently that many companies stopped doing that allowing their stocks to shoot up hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Having extremely high priced stocks prevents dummy investors from buying it. Only institutions will own them which means they are less likely to cause a herd mentality on the stock's price. Which perfectly follows Buffett's investment philosophy.

There are two investment books where a huge chuck of my investment knowledge got it's start.
  • The Intelligent Investor: Even Warren Buffett said this book is what taught him how to invest properly.
  • Fire Your Stock Analyst: This book teaches you the basics of how to analyze a stock properly. (to ensure it's a good and solid investment)
These two books teach you different, but important aspects of investing properly.

They don't each you everything, but they will give you enough information to invest properly and not chase false profits and get run over by speculation of your own, or eaten by other speculators.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/19/investing/bitcoin-crytpocurrencies-sec-bubble/index.html

SEC suspends trading of red-hot bitcoin stock
by Paul R. La Monica @lamonicabuzzDecember 19, 2017: 1:37 PM ET

Is bitcoin a bubble? Maybe. Maybe not. Only time will tell. But there are some small publicly traded companies trying to ride the wave of cryptocurrency and blockchain mania that look pretty sketchy. Call them the bitcons if you will.
The Securities and Exchange Commission suspended trading Tuesday of The Crypto Company until January 3, citing "concerns regarding the accuracy and adequacy of information" about compensation paid to promote the firm and plans for insider sales.

The Crytpo Company describes itself as a business that "offers a portfolio of digital assets, technologies, and consulting services to the blockchain and cryptocurrency markets" with plans for a "rollout of a full scale, high frequency cryptocurrency trading floor."

SMARTASSET.COM
Shares of The Crypto Company (CRCW) have surged nearly 160% in the past five days, more than 1,800% in the past month and 17,000% in the past three months, as investors and traders have bid up the price of bitcoin(XBT) higher and higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.